200 crunches a day for 7 days challenge <3 starting 16th Jan

Options

Replies

• MacThin
    Options
    Yay I'm in too ! I do 250 abs crunches everyday but they are not only situps. I'll try the test tomorrow (it's 3:30am in Paris, time to sleep !).

Well, I couldn't sleep so I did the test : OMG I did 100 situps without a break, my abs are hurting so bad ! I love it :o)
    I'm in column 3 but I have to start directly on week 3 ! Hope I'll be able to keep the rythm.

Anyways, good luck everybody, let's do this !!!
  • cball3394
    Options
    I'm in!!!
  • JollyJane13
    JollyJane13 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do around 200 a day (between pilates and Ms. Jillian whooping my butt) but I am sure another 200 will do me some good :)
  • JollyJane13
    JollyJane13 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Whoa, people! Please do not do 200 crunches a day unless you want to put great shearing forces on your lumbar spine!!!! Crunches = bad!

Sorry.

I'm assuming you are all wishing for flatter, tighter, more toned tummies? This is what you do:

1) Eat a clean diet - ABS ARE MADE IN THE KITCHEN
    2) If you want to do exercises to work your abs - work your entire core - planks are one great core exercise - pull-ups also work your core.

In general, lift heavy weights and work your WHOLE body as muscle helps burn fat. I got a six pack without a single sit-up. And you can too!

Sorry if I just rained on your parade! :flowerforyou: Good luck to you all.

Want more info? Read The New Rules of Lifting for Abs by Lou Schuler

I'm sorry but that isn't what Ms. Jillian says and she is my fitness god. Besides, crunches have never hurt my back, and I am 346 pounds. Its all about form.
  • mama_laura13
    Options
    Ok, I'm going to try. I am 39 years old and I have not been active for a very long time but I guess its never too late to get back in shape!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Whoa, people! Please do not do 200 crunches a day unless you want to put great shearing forces on your lumbar spine!!!! Crunches = bad!

Sorry.

I'm assuming you are all wishing for flatter, tighter, more toned tummies? This is what you do:

2) If you want to do exercises to work your abs - work your entire core - planks are one great core exercise - pull-ups also work your core.

In general, lift heavy weights and work your WHOLE body as muscle helps burn fat. I got a six pack without a single sit-up. And you can too!

I'm sorry but that isn't what Ms. Jillian says and she is my fitness god. Besides, crunches have never hurt my back, and I am 346 pounds. Its all about form.

Sigh.

Jillian is awesome, she has a great body, I'm glad you like her. But crunches can still be bad. Here you go:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/blogs/the-human-condition/2009/06/03/stop-doing-sit-ups-why-crunches-don-t-work.html
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sigh.

Jillian is awesome, she has a great body, I'm glad you like her. But crunches can still be bad. Here you go:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/blogs/the-human-condition/2009/06/03/stop-doing-sit-ups-why-crunches-don-t-work.html

I've read that article and other things from Stuart McGill, who is an expert on the spine and biomechanics. Same conclusion on crunches
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If you want a flat(ter) tummy do some exercises that work your transverse abs. They are the deepest layer of muscle and if they are tight and strong they will hold your organs and intestines in better giving you a flatter tummy. Sit-ups and crunches only work your rectus abdominus, the outermost layer of muscle. Crunches and sit-ups make this muscle bigger, which increases the size of your tummy. Do a Google search for exercises (which are often aimed at post-partum women) or do Pilates.
  • Stephy040
    Stephy040 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you go to the website, it it actually a 6 week challenge. If you follow that plan, along with a sensible diet and other workout regimens, you should be good.

What challenge is this? Or rather website?
  • msamberlicious
    msamberlicious Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just did my initial test and I knocked out 200! Super proud. Thanks for posting this opportunity!
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options

Sorry.

Sigh.

I just read the "Daily Beast" article and this sentence immediately stuck out to me:

"And what is a sit-up but a back bend done in a lying position?"

Okay, perhaps I've done sit-ups incorrectly all my life, but I was a gymnast and did many back bends. In no way is a sit up a back bend done in a lying position. Now, perhaps if you did crunches on a big exercise ball, yes. But a regular crunch on the floor, no.

I have chronic back problems. Part of my back problem is an exaggerated curve of the lumbar spine and the muscles have tightened and foreshortened over the years. A properly done crunch (not a complete up to your knees sit up like we did in junior high school back in the stone age) performed on a regular basis actually helps my back, as it works to loosen those tightened muscles and helps reverse the exaggerated curve that will eventually cause all five lumbar discs to herniate inward.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I'm in. Column 3 for me. I'm making my hubby do it with me. Column 2 for him (only because he was afraid a "girl" might beat him - otherwise I really think he would have wimped out at #7).
  • cntstopme
    Options
    Definitely in! How do we log it? Are you creating a group?
  • dmwood
    dmwood Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am in!
  • Moodymona
    Moodymona Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    ohhh im in for sure
  • JesiDM
    JesiDM Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm in!!!
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Are you creating a group? I did 40 today to see where im at to start.
  • summerbert
    summerbert Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I tested in week 3 so I will start there. How exciting
  • tanyakay87
    tanyakay87 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    This sounds great! When do we start?!
  • kellbellblue
    Options
    Brand new. I want to jump in on this as well. Much needed!