Eggs per week?

Options
124»

Replies

• la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    love eggs.. I eat close to 25-30 eggs a week..

tried egg beaters just couldnt get past the taste. Back to using egg whites for protein shakes.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I eat at least 4 cage free eggs every day and sometimes more and my cholesterol has never been lower than it currently is. I also drink whole milk, eat full fat yogurt and cheeses, and other sources of fat and usually exceed the "saturated fat limit" for the day before I finish breakfast.

Dietary cholesterol doesn't cause high cholesterol. Your body will make all the cholesterol it thinks it needs regardless of your diet. Genetics is one factor, but for most people the problem is their lifestyle. Lose the extra pounds and keep them off, get enough exercise, go easy on the sugar to avoid insulin spikes, and eat real food and for most people that will put your cholesterol well within what you and your doctor will be happy with.
  • jbaerbock
    jbaerbock Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but if you're just eating egg whites, what do you do with the yolks?

There are some baked goods recipes out there that call for only egg yolks. But that defeats the purpose of not eating them in the first place :D
  • brenannn
    brenannn Posts: 19
    Options
    I guess its a good excuse for custard!
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I eat two eggs a day!!
  • marcksh
    marcksh Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I also like eggs but thought it cant be good re: chloresterol etc. and how too many could impact my MFP numbers.

I can't imagine eating the number of eggs that people have mentioned here! Maybe a couple on the weekend and one, Maybe two, during the week. What are you making/ eating with that many eggs!?
  • mike_ny
    Options
    I also like eggs but thought it cant be good re: chloresterol etc. and how too many could impact my MFP numbers.

I can't imagine eating the number of eggs that people have mentioned here! Maybe a couple on the weekend and one, Maybe two, during the week. What are you making/ eating with that many eggs!?

A two egg omelette for breakfast, a boiled egg sometime during the day, and another egg incorporated into your cooking....
    How could anyone possible eat that many eggs in one day? It really isn't hard at all to eat 6 or more eggs a day and with the ratio of great nutrition per calorie that's a very compelling argument to have at least four daily.

The only cholesterol numbers you should care about are in your blood lipid tests (and even the extent of that is becoming debatable with newer studies saying there is no correlation between cholesterol levels alone and heart disease). Counting cholesterol in your diet is definitely not any kind of reliable indicator at all of your HDL/LDL levels. People can have high cholesterol numbers with almost zero cholesterol in their diets and low cholesterol with extremely high cholesterol diets. Sugar and insulin seem to have much stronger correlations to circulatory problems, so cutting back on simple sugars and starches is a much more promising path to good health if you want to take any dietary precautions. Have another egg for breakfast, but go easy on that orange juice and the sugar in your coffee and elsewhere.
  • mike_ny
    Options
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but if you're just eating egg whites, what do you do with the yolks?

There are some baked goods recipes out there that call for only egg yolks. But that defeats the purpose of not eating them in the first place :D

There are also plenty of recipes for just egg whites and they freeze really well too. Save them for that and have a three egg yolk omelette for a rich treat. :-)

Whole eggs are still the best bet, though, to get the full balance of proteins, essential fatty acids, and abundant nutrients that together are harder to find without eating several different foods in sufficient quantities.
  • SummerRain43
    Options
    none
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I eat about 10 eggs per week (take two to uni each day). Sometimes I have them on the weekend too, and often will eat them in the form of delicious cakes.
  • crissi725
    crissi725 Posts: 82
    Options
    I don't trust people who don't eat eggs. That includes my mother.
  • jbaerbock
    jbaerbock Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    To me eggs are like what "experts" say about butter versus margerine. They change their mind every year whether it's good or not for you. My advise to people always is try it and see. Everyone's body is different and reacts differently to everything. So just because it may spike cholesterol for the one person they had in their test it doesn't mean everyone should suddenly drop all egg eating.