Embarrassing question but need help

Options
Ok...this is an embarrassing question for me to be putting out there...but what do I do about constipation???

I have been drinking lots of water over the past few days, been eating lots of fruits and veggies...and still haven't been able to go to the bathroom :( It's been 3 days I think. It's starting to get uncomfortable for sure. I would have thought with the foods, the water, and exercise I would be more "regular"...but I'm not. I know I can take a laxative but generally they don't work that well for me.

Any thoughts? My diary is public so feel free to let me know if you think I'm eating the wrong food or something. Thanks so much and sorry if this is TMI!!!

-Liz:embarassed:

Replies

• Zaria_Athena
    Zaria_Athena Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Try including some healthy oils.

Try drinking hot water and lemon in the the morning when you first wake up.

Try drinking green tea throughout the day.

Good luck.
  • bdreilly84
    Options
    For most people coffee seems to help.....
  • KatiD83
    KatiD83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I take benefiber every few days and it helps me.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    prunes / dates / figs are meant to help in that department!!
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I have an extreme issue with this too! I will not go sometimes for 4 days and I have used fiber supplements....Metamucil does not work fiber pills don't work and I feel I am eating stuff that should make it come out but none of it works!! I would like to know too other than going to a doctor again who seem to just suggest fiber pills which don't work!
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    my doctor suggested to me a strong black coffee and if I have that a couple of times a day I am regular - if I dont have any for a few days I am like you and yes I know how uncomfortable it can be
  • gailashton
    Options
    Poor thing! No fun for sure. Try some coffee, prunes/prune juice. If all else fails take some milk of mag or MiraLAX.
  • nathan72
    nathan72 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    you can brew a natural tea from senna leaves...works every time...or take a senna based laxative.
  • bett_boop
    bett_boop Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I use suppositories when i am really desperate - just pop them up you bum, wait for them to melt and voila! I know it may sound gross but they have really helped me in the past.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    With the advice from my dr., I started taking a Probiotic daily & it works great. Helps regulate, plus added immune booster. I like Culturelle. Good luck!
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Mangos and Papaya are natural laxatives that I use. I have the same problem and hate taking laxatives.
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I started tracking my fiber and eat probably 1.5-2 times the recommended fiber. Two things that helped me the most... I added a couple of tablespoons of ground flax seed to my yogurt. Also, Kellogg's makes Fiber one bars that help in that area too. Keep up with you water and add more fiber...
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    One of my children has this issue. I feed him oatmeal with raisins for breakfast a lot. I also use the Fiber One yogurts, and the Fiber One granola bar things. Lately I have given him 4 ounces of prune juice every morning. It helps a lot! I've learned that I shouldn't stop using it when the problem goes away because then it just comes right back.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I make myself a fruit smootie every morning for breakfast and a big salad every day for lunch. Along with all the water I drink, it helps with any constipation issues. Before I added all the fruit and veggies, I was having problems, too.
  • FindJulie
    FindJulie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well, it might be embarrassing, but you are sure not alone! :) I recently learned of psyllium seed husks. A friend recommends 1.5 table spoons in water at night before bed. But she cautioned that you need to drink it right away because otherwise it starts to solidify. She claims she wakes up and is ready to "go" with it. I'm going to try it. Apparently it is bought from health food stories. Here is a link for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psyllium_seed_husks
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    fiber, fruits
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Any dried fruit is a good option also. Not just raisins but apricots, prunes, cherries...
  • button777
    button777 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Have you considered colon hydrotherapy? It's supposed to be really good at helping this exact issue.
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My all natural health doctor suggests a teaspoon of olive oil. It's not the best tasting (it could be worse), but it does help lubricate your insides. Usually I need 1 before bed and maybe 1 in the morning. This will NOT have a laxative effect, just help to soften & release.
  • Rynoman2k3
    Rynoman2k3 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Well I'm glad to know i'm not the only one with this issue since i've been dieting. Juices help sometimes.