Bread substitute

Options
I'm having a hard problem trying not to eat bread, I was raised by it. I was wondering what can I sub bread for. Like sometimes I need a sandwich but I know I'm not suppose to eat bread but I'm hungry.. WHAT TO DO! :O...I was thinking I could sub for corn tortillas instead of bread ? I don't know if someone has good advice please share your thoughts ..THANK YOU MFP Community

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    You can eat bread. Just don't overeat it and eat whole grain.
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I eat light Italian bread, it's only 40 calories per slice.
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I eat bread and I'm losing weight. I have poached eggs on toast for breakfast. I'm having a banana sandwich for lunch. I eat wholemeal bread and don't put any butter on it. I often have a Chicken salad sandwich. I just spread low fat mayo on the bread.:flowerforyou:
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    If you want bread than eat it. Just account for it in your tracking and don't over eat. Personally, if I don't allow myself certain things I will end up binging on them so I allow myself whatever I want (attempting to make it as healthy as possible) in moderation.

Who says you can't eat bread? MFP should be a lifestyle change, one that you can continue for the rest of your life. Cutting things out that aren't causing you harm probably isn't the best way to go as it's not something you can do forever.

For things like bread, if I want a sandwich I'll use one slice and make a half sandwich. If I want a full one I will account for it. I love tortillas and pitas for a substituition (although some can be worse than bread). Look at the nutrional information on items... there is a lot of variety for NI in breads so you can choose one that is better for you and makes you feel as though you aren't missing out.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Boston bib lettuce or good old very cold iceburg lettuce can be used as bread.

I also some times use sandwich thins, which are 100 calories, or one slice cut in half (always whole grain)

I have also started just putting everything I would on a sandwich on a plate and eating them with out bread.

Good luck, it just takes will power and determination to make this change over the long haul. Decide which option is best for you at the moment and go for it, then you can change that option as you get further away from bread.
  • fabulousby45
    Options
    I say you only eat bread (whole grain wheat) when you are really craving it. Put low fat peanut butter on toast and its 290 calories, but you get some protein to get you going. I am a bread and butter person....love love it! I'm only 3 weeks in, but I've cut back on it and I've lost a jean size!!

Everything is in moderation...you can have a bite of anything!
  • DEGiltz
    DEGiltz Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of wraps and use Flatout Flatbread. My favorite is the light sundried tomato. 90 cal/serving, 2.5 g fat, no sat or trans fats, 17 carb (9 g dietary fiber) 9 g protein. Fiber and protein will help you feel more satisfied then if you build a wrap on lettuce!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I eat bread and I'm losing weight. I have poached eggs on toast for breakfast. I'm having a banana sandwich for lunch. I eat wholemeal bread and don't put any butter on it. I often have a Chicken salad sandwich. I just spread low fat mayo on the bread.:flowerforyou:

Hey - just a thought, but instead of the mayo you could substitute a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese. I use whichever flavor I am in the mood for and it makes my chicken salad like a whole new meal! I actually don't just spread it on the bread - I use it in the chicken salad instead of mayo!!! And I use a store brand lite wheat bread "Weis" and it is 70 calories for 2 slices.
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Remember everything in moderation.. you can eat bread!!!
    I eat the body wise whole wheat bread! 50 cals a slice!!
  • sadie1carter2
    sadie1carter2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I second pitas... you can also use pitas for pizza crust... cut them in half so that you have two circles, toast them in the oven or a toaster over for a minute or two, then top with marinara and low fat mozz and veggies and broil again... super great and low cal!
  • Monet1107
    Monet1107 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use rice cakes! at 35 calories each.......but then again, I like rice cakes. Especially buttered popcorn rice cakes Yummm!
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of wraps and use Flatout Flatbread. My favorite is the light sundried tomato. 90 cal/serving, 2.5 g fat, no sat or trans fats, 17 carb (9 g dietary fiber) 9 g protein. Fiber and protein will help you feel more satisfied then if you build a wrap on lettuce!
    I just replaced my tortilla wraps with the flatbread.. so much better for you!!! I love the italian herb!!
  • DonnaLRB
    DonnaLRB Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    OroWheat Sandwich Thins, either whole wheat or multigrain, are really good and only 100 calories.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Bagel thins or Sandwich thins are great! I use them all of the time!
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Hey - just a thought, but instead of the mayo you could substitute a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese. I use whichever flavor I am in the mood for and it makes my chicken salad like a whole new meal! I actually don't just spread it on the bread - I use it in the chicken salad instead of mayo!!! And I use a store brand lite wheat bread "Weis" and it is 70 calories for 2 slices.
    Thanks I'll give that a try. I often make my own bread. good workout for the arms
  • Momma2fourunder5
    Momma2fourunder5 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Couple options : 1.) SaraLee has bread loaves that are super low in calories, and taste amazing!! I usually don't buy anything "light" or fat free b/c I just can't handle the flavor, but this light bread is truely no different tasting than a regular loaf!
    2.) Pita bread!!!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i eat bread, but i've definitively cut down on it like i've cut down on lots of things. check out some whole wheat wraps if you want a sandwich type meal.
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    Sandwich thins! I don't even buy regular bread anymore. We love them. Sometimes I get spinach flat bread type items, too, but be sure to look at the nutrition info because some are packed with calories and other junk.
  • LovingCruz
    LovingCruz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I use the 100 calorie bread thins and love them they make a great sandwich, and they also have 100 calorie bagel thins.
    I get the whole wheat ones.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    OP Can you not eat bread because you are sensitive/intolerant/allergic to gluten? This is important in order to give good advice.

If gluten is an issue, I would definitely try the corn tortillas OR gluten free bread (it's more expensive and doesn't taste as good, but it is bread), or even rice cakes.

If gluten isn't an issue, just account for the bread in your calorie goal. There are some really low cal breads. There is one that is only 40 cals a slice.