Bread substitute

Options

Replies

• xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Not eat bread o.0

Nothing wrong with bread. Currently I use "Natures Own Double Fiber Bread" has very nice Macros and carb to fiber ratio!
  • nolady2012
    Options
    I like bread a lot. So I was craving it. Yes, everything in moderation. However, when you ENJOY bread- it's about taste and volume. That satisfying fill you get from bread. At least for me.:happy: So I have something that works well as a sub: LaTortilla High Fiber Low Carb 9 in tortilla. It has like 9g prot, 12 g fiber and tastes good. There are other wraps out there that are large and filling that are similar. I like this one the best. It also comes in a 7 in size.
  • LuannaSmiley
    Options
    Check out Exekiel 4:9 Bread ! :)
  • tmtrack
    tmtrack Posts: 23
    Options
    I found recently Aunt Millies Five grain Light oly 40 calories per slice tast great and very filling!!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    OP Can you not eat bread because you are sensitive/intolerant/allergic to gluten? This is important in order to give good advice.

If gluten is an issue, I would definitely try the corn tortillas OR gluten free bread (it's more expensive and doesn't taste as good, but it is bread), or even rice cakes.

If gluten isn't an issue, just account for the bread in your calorie goal. There are some really low cal breads. There is one that is only 40 cals a slice.

FINALLY someone who has common sense...
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    La Tortilla Factory tortillas, 50 cal for the small ones.
    I also use Laughing Cow cheese as the spread. Takes the place of cheese and mayo
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I still eat sandwiches 3 - 4 days a week for lunch. I also use "regular" whole grain (usually 12 grain) bread - not the lite variety - which is 100 calories per slice. By cutting out the mayo and cheese, and substituting brown mustard and lettuce, I can still have whole sandwich (turkey, ham, chicken, etc.), some celery sticks, and some fruit for lunch and stay around 350 - 400 calories total for the meal.

It's not about denying yourself what you want, it's about making smart choices and finding alternatives that satisfy your taste buds and fill you up.

Good luck!
  • Horskrzy
    Horskrzy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you want bread than eat it. Just account for it in your tracking and don't over eat. Personally, if I don't allow myself certain things I will end up binging on them so I allow myself whatever I want (attempting to make it as healthy as possible) in moderation.

............... Look at the nutrional information on items... there is a lot of variety for NI in breads so you can choose one that is better for you and makes you feel as though you aren't missing out.

I couldn't agree more in regards to allowing yourself to eat ANYTHING in MODERATION. As long as I track the fat and calories and adjust accordingly I can continue to have my favorites on occasion. E.g. Pizza, Corn Dogs, Ice Cream, PB & Honey on Oatnut bread. I used to say if i ever became allergic to peanut butter I would just suffer because I'd never give it up. Breads come in a very, very close second. Yet, now that I've been doing this for approx. 3 months I finds I crave them a lot less. Not to say that the ol PB & H doesn't taste awfully good but I don't miss it like I thought I would.:huh:

Good luck in your lifestyle change and enjoy the results! :drinker:
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Maybe whole wheat wraps? I was raised on carbs and have now chosen to cut out white bread and white pasta. I still have bread- no more than 2 slices every few days but I make sure the bread I get is 100% whole wheat, no HFCS and with ingredients I can read. It is expensive, but I think the benefit is worth it. I also use 1 slice when I have a sandwich instead of 2, so it's like an open face sandwich.
  • lalinzki
    lalinzki Posts: 121
    Options
    WOOOOW Thank You so much community for all the good advice. First let me say I do not that I have a health issue, which I should of posted. The problem is that my wife keeps buying white bread and keeps forgetting to buy whole wheat and when I'm trying to make a quick sandwich I see white bread. I was trying to figure out what's out there so I can put it on the shopping list so she can buy white bread and bring me something else because she gets so confused in the bread section "Too many types of bread very confusing". Well I'm going to try the suggested advice and see how it works..THANK YOU
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    WOOOOW Thank You so much community for all the good advice. First let me say I do not that I have a health issue, which I should of posted. The problem is that my wife keeps buying white bread and keeps forgetting to buy whole wheat and when I'm trying to make a quick sandwich I see white bread. I was trying to figure out what's out there so I can put it on the shopping list so she can buy white bread and bring me something else because she gets so confused in the bread section "Too many types of bread very confusing". Well I'm going to try the suggested advice and see how it works..THANK YOU

Just eat the white bread, whole wheat isn't any better
  • lalinzki
    Options
    Man that looks delicious
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I make a little "sandwhich" roll by putting down a slice of deli light swiss, putting low sodium turkey on it, mustard & rolling it up as a low cal snack. Most tortilla's I've found aren't any better calorie wise than low cal light bread by Nature's Own.

I know a friend who does the same with lettuce leaves. She likes the crunch. She just makes a little roll. It helps her avoid eating tons of bread throughout the day.
  • lalinzki
    Options
    Now I don't feel bad about eating that Sandwich, of course in moderation. So many options I can't go wrong thanks GALS/GUYS
  • TheSarahHill
    Options
    Tortillas are high in cals, although they are thinner than bread they are deceiving! Just eat a sandwich if you want, bread is low fat just high carbs so if you stay active you'll be fine and the carbs won't stick around long enough to turn into fat. I hope this helps :-)
  • TheSarahHill
    Options
    I still eat sandwiches 3 - 4 days a week for lunch. I also use "regular" whole grain (usually 12 grain) bread - not the lite variety - which is 100 calories per slice. By cutting out the mayo and cheese, and substituting brown mustard and lettuce, I can still have whole sandwich (turkey, ham, chicken, etc.), some celery sticks, and some fruit for lunch and stay around 350 - 400 calories total for the meal.

It's not about denying yourself what you want, it's about making smart choices and finding alternatives that satisfy your taste buds and fill you up.

Good luck!

Good advice! :-)
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have eaten bread as I have wanted to within my calorie allowance and it certainly has not stopped me losing weight- and I continue to lose. This while idea of cutting out bread- as with other carbs is an alien concept to me. I personally like whole grain bread as it tends to keep me satisfied for longer- and I buy good bread as it is in a whole different category of its own. I mix it up with other things to keep it all balanced and so that /i don't tire of one particular thing.
  • lalinzki
    Options
    I Guess BROSCIENCE is don't know nothing LOL
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I Guess BROSCIENCE is don't know nothing LOL

English por favor