Calling all Muscle Heads:Bench Press

Options

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Turn 48 this Thursday and have watched my strength diminish slowly. I don't do 1RM's and haven't since my mid 20's since I'm more about building physique.
    So I suck compared to most everyone here, but I can still:

Incline bench- 205 for 6-8 reps (flat bench hurts my shoulder)

Squat- 265 for 6-8 reps

Deadlift- 325 for 6 reps

All at a bodyweight of 180-185lbs

Not too bad for an "old man".

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Bloody oath! I hope that when I'm you're age I can do something similar.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I train on my own with no rack so I don't really do 1 rep max lifts.

I know it's all very guesstimated, but isn't there a formula for working it out?

I think I read somewhere that what you can lift for 8-10 reps is about 65% of your 1 rep max. Does that sound right?

I usually bench about 170 for 8 - 10. Then again this is usually after sets of weighted dips and heavy dumbbell flyes. Kind of frustrating that I have no idea what I can actually bench "fresh", for only one rep....
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    335 lbs was my highest. Shoulder injury kills that. Now about 250 is my max. I'll get back there one day.
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    I was up to 245 x 8 reps 3 sets but hurt my elbow, don't know how but it has affected what I can lift across the board specially any excessive that the elbow bends in any direction. Right now I can't do much over 185 or my elbow gets really painful. Hopping once it heals up I can work to 315 which is my ultimate goal.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    i'm too scared to bench as i do not have a spotter /:

leg press : 280pounds
    squats : 40pounds... you all put me to shame :(
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I think that as long as you are improving you lifts then you are doing great, regardless of what weight you do. There are many different things to consider when somebody goes for a max lift.

When I was in high school many moons ago, this was always the question "Hey dude, how much you bench... "

Now, I really am not sure what my max is and don't particularly care too much atm.

But if I had to guess probably in the 225-240 range at a bodyweight of 154.4

Sorry disagree. Its the ultimate gauge of strength. Now if you choose not to for one reason or another fine.
    ButI gauge myself on this main lift. Also Deads, Sqauts, Chins, Dips. You gotta be rounded but if you bench double your body weight your sick strong.

It's by no means "the ultimate gauge of strength" in my opinion....... Notice how I say "in my opinion".

Hey Crush. Don't get it twisted big guy! ITS ALL ABOUT THE MIRROR AND BEACH! Just while building the physique I find exteme satisfaction pushing large weight! Don't mean I am right or wrong. Keep Pushing!
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    I train on my own with no rack so I don't really do 1 rep max lifts.

I know it's all very guesstimated, but isn't there a formula for working it out?

I think I read somewhere that what you can lift for 8-10 reps is about 65% of your 1 rep max. Does that sound right?

I usually bench about 170 for 8 - 10. Then again this is usually after sets of weighted dips and heavy dumbbell flyes. Kind of frustrating that I have no idea what I can actually bench "fresh", for only one rep....

honestly it doesn't ever equate. I am reading this thread and see BEASTLY repittions by people at some serious high weight. Like gys doing 265 for 10 but saying they max 315-320. I could never do that many reps of 265 but can bench 325. I just think reps vs 1 RM max are much different. It is a good mendoza line though, it shouldn't be too far off. It actually pisses me off that I can do 225 for like 1000000. Soon as I double my body weight I am going to transition into repping 225 like a mad man and move up.

My lifts are.....
    Bench 325
    Squat 405 for 2
    Chinups with 2 45's for 2
    dips with 4 45 lb plates for 3-5
    And then this pisses me off. DEADLIFT 365 for 3. Doesn't make sense but I am working on it.
    @ 180 lbs
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    I was up to 245 x 8 reps 3 sets but hurt my elbow, don't know how but it has affected what I can lift across the board specially any excessive that the elbow bends in any direction. Right now I can't do much over 185 or my elbow gets really painful. Hopping once it heals up I can work to 315 which is my ultimate goal.

find a power lifted in the gym or some site and try and work with them on form

I can tell you this. a fella at the gym has been working with me, real old school cat. If you asked me to tell you what was my perfect lift I would have said Bench 1 yr ago. But in the last 3-5 months I hae changed the entire lift. Pull legs under more, Arch back more, Brind down below my nipples more. I use to use a ton of shoulders and its amazing with the changes I made how my shoulder doesn't click anymore my elbows don't hurt. I have full isolated my chest and use it to my advantage now. I will say 6 months ago my 1 RM max was 275, I now blow that out for 3-5 no doubt and push 325. And every week I am goin gup 10 lbs. Seeing amazing results with my new improved form
  • jsteffen80
    Options
    My max back in college, eight years ago, was 245 after just a couple months (which was really close to 1x BW). I just started benching again at the beginning of the month, and my bb.com calculated max is 175, which isn't too bad considering it was 152 two weeks ago. I'm hoping to have quick gains well into the 200s like I did last time, and get close to 1.5x body weight by the end of the year.

My focus for the year is on improving my bench, so I'll let you know where I'm at in a couple months.

As far as elite status... I give that to the guys pushing 800+.
  • rdzilla
    rdzilla Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    In my fittest I weighed 273 pounds, benched 435, inclined 390, squatted 560, deadlifted 600+ a few times, cleaned 325 and could still get a sub-30 minute 5k on a treadmill. Do I think any of those are elite? No. When considering I was 273 pounds I consider it even less elite. Go on youtube and you'll see people doing 600+ benches and 800+ deads completely raw and with perfect form who weigh 250 pounds. Sometimes genetics come into play and you can't get any stronger. 38 inch long arms and short legs make me great at deadlifting but crappy at flat bench.

In today's gym, I consider anyone actually doing squats elite! Seriously though people with good form, trying to improve their lifts and looking for guidance is OK in my book. We're there to get stronger and improve our bodies. I am completely against the meathead mentality and won't hesitate to call them out on it.
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options

find a power lifted in the gym or some site and try and work with them on form

I can tell you this. a fella at the gym has been working with me, real old school cat. If you asked me to tell you what was my perfect lift I would have said Bench 1 yr ago. But in the last 3-5 months I hae changed the entire lift. Pull legs under more, Arch back more, Brind down below my nipples more. I use to use a ton of shoulders and its amazing with the changes I made how my shoulder doesn't click anymore my elbows don't hurt. I have full isolated my chest and use it to my advantage now. I will say 6 months ago my 1 RM max was 275, I now blow that out for 3-5 no doubt and push 325. And every week I am goin gup 10 lbs. Seeing amazing results with my new improved form

Thanks for the advice, I'm afraid it's not the form elbow hurts all the time even when I'm not doing anything. Think I might have over extended at some point or pulled a bicep muscle (pain radiates from bottom of bicep to forearm). I have been putting off going to an ortho, don't want to hear stop training for x period of time.
  • rdzilla
    Options
    p.s. this is by far my favorite thread so far! Talking strategy, goals, different lifts and no egos. Win!
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    In my fittest I weighed 273 pounds, benched 435, inclined 390, squatted 560, deadlifted 600+ a few times, cleaned 325 and could still get a sub-30 minute 5k on a treadmill. Do I think any of those are elite? No. When considering I was 273 pounds I consider it even less elite. Go on youtube and you'll see people doing 600+ benches and 800+ deads completely raw and with perfect form who weigh 250 pounds. Sometimes genetics come into play and you can't get any stronger. 38 inch long arms and short legs make me great at deadlifting but crappy at flat bench.

In today's gym, I consider anyone actually doing squats elite! Seriously though people with good form, trying to improve their lifts and looking for guidance is OK in my book. We're there to get stronger and improve our bodies. I am completely against the meathead mentality and won't hesitate to call them out on it.

Love this post. Great information and a great opinion. I love the the 2nd paragraph! Great additiion to the Thread!
    IMO. Once you get over 4 plates on each side your elite no matter what matrix. To bench + 405 is insane. Just insane
    go to www.leangains.com
    and read ****arounditis. Funny
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Okay Mfredo- You knew this would draw me out. Body weight of 275 lbs. 20 1/4" arms 11 years ago
    Bench-flat
    505 max
    405 sets of 5 reps
    315 set of 15 reps
    225 28 speed reps

Incline
    405 max
    315 set of 10 reps

Militarys rear press
    275 max
    225 set of 5 reps
    185 set of 10 reps

Straight bar curl sets of 10X185
    Squat max 550
    Deadlift max 605

Lift Heavy or go home! lol I had no light days.
  • rdzilla
    Options
    Okay Mfredo- You knew this would draw me out. Body weight of 275 lbs. 20 1/4" arms 11 years ago
    Bench-flat
    505 max
    405 sets of 5 reps
    315 set of 15 reps
    225 28 speed reps

Incline
    405 max
    315 set of 10 reps

Militarys rear press
    275 max
    225 set of 5 reps
    185 set of 10 reps

Squat max 550
    Deadlift max 605

It appears we have more in common than a screen name moniker! Good stuff... wish we had people in Singapore that had the same mentality as you and I.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Bench-flat
    505 max
    405 sets of 5 reps
    315 set of 15 reps
    225 28 speed reps

Incline
    405 max
    315 set of 10 reps

Militarys rear press
    275 max
    225 set of 5 reps
    185 set of 10 reps

Squat max 550
    Deadlift max 605

It appears we have more in common than a screen name moniker! Good stuff... wish we had people in Singapore that had the same mentality as you and I.

We're all brothers of the iron. I'm trying to shred fat and build muscle now. Just got back into it months ago. Its a new area for me at 45 to eat correctly(nutrition wise is new for me) and do cardio along with getting back to the iron. Zillas should stick together lmao.
  • toddlyons
    toddlyons Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I started lifting a few weeks ago (Olympic barbell set for Christmas). I'm 41 years old, 191 pounds, with no experience and no spotter, so I haven't attempted to bench more than 130.

I read somewhere (I think it was Lou Shuler) that for just building size it was better to bench more reps of less weight... 55-65% of 1RM for 5x10. That felt too low at 50 reps, so right now I'm doing 80 pounds at 100 reps, with a little breather after each 10. From my starting 55% level I've been microloading by 5 lbs whenever I felt like 100 reps wasn't really pushing me enough.

I think that based on what I've read here I won't try to compete with any of you for biggest lifts. No, not even the women. :ohwell: I have no injuries, and I think a great physique and endurance strength is what I'm really after.

Thanks for this thread.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    I started lifting a few weeks ago (Olympic barbell set for Christmas). I'm 41 years old, 191 pounds, with no experience and no spotter, so I haven't attempted to bench more than 130.

I read somewhere (I think it was Lou Shuler) that for just building size it was better to bench more reps of less weight... 55-65% of 1RM for 5x10. That felt too low at 50 reps, so right now I'm doing 80 pounds at 100 reps, with a little breather after each 10. From my starting 55% level I've been microloading by 5 lbs whenever I felt like 100 reps wasn't really pushing me enough.

I think that based on what I've read here I won't try to compete with any of you for biggest lifts. No, not even the women. :ohwell: I have no injuries, and I think a great physique and endurance strength is what I'm really after.

Thanks for this thread.

You can do less weight and build muscle size provided flex the muscle while you lift and do it slowly. Shawn Ray(bodybuilder) use to preach this. Most bodybuilders do this. Slow, concentrated flexing movement. You can fatigue the muscle with a 100 reps and not build size just going through the motions.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Thanks for this thread.

why not increase the weight and just to the 50 reps total?
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options

Thanks for this thread.

why not increase the weight and just to the 50 reps total?

Cardio lifter reps..... Strict form while flexing the muscle you are working with 8-10 reps max.. You're building not shredding.