Logging exercise for absurd things

Options
I don't understand why some people log calories for putting out the bin and other things like this.
I only log what I have gone out my way to do like take a half an hour walk, and such.
Putting things out in the bin is just things you do in your regular day without thinking.

What are your thoughts?
and whats the craziest thing some one has logged that you have seen?

Replies

• Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Some people might have had virtually no activity level before joining MFP, so if they are doing something outta the ordinary, then why not log it? I don't count things like dishes or laundry, but if I go outside and mow the lawn (push mower obviously), then I'll log it. If a person is starting from a point in their life that they see "every day things" as exercise, then little victories that seem absurd to others could be a big deal to them. Maybe the trash bin is far away from their house - our trash bins are about 1/5 mile away from our house because we have a long driveway, but I have my DH bring that out. lol If I had to bring it out, I'd log it too! 2/5 mile is 2/5 mile! That being said, I don't log the odd household things, but instead think of them as bonus points, but I don't think it's nice to call something someone else logs absurd - like I said, it could be a victory for that person to have accomplished something they used to not do. Besides - if they are only doing it to make up reasons to eat more, then they probably aren't in the same place as some of us, and need more support from this community, not ridicule. Just my $.02.
  • silentnacht
    Options
    I think it's a bit pedantic sometimes, but I don't blame anyone for wanting that nice, shiny notice of "so-and-so's burned XX calories doing XX activity". It's a reward for doing something they might not have done otherwise. Plus, taking the trash down the driveway at my house involves a half-mile hike, so if I was a sedentary person not used to regular exercise I would certainly count it. :tongue:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I just don't think you can judge unless you know a particular person's situation. Putting the bins out might be a big deal for that particular person (it wouldn't burn many cals for me, but maybe their gate is half a km from the house and they have 5 bins to move... we just don't know).

As a general comment - if activity level is set at sedentary then I think it is valid to add in activities that others might not consider "exercise". I usually ahve my acticity level set at "lightly active" which already includes short walks to the bus and going up and down the stairs at work, but recently I've had an injury so have changed my settings to sedentary, so I am counting things (like 10 min walks) that I wouldn't usually count.
  • forme2310
    forme2310 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I totally agree we are here to help one another not judge
  • schwarzaj
    schwarzaj Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    wow, Virginia, what a fantastic response! you totally changed the way I thought about it
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Im like you and only add extra things I've done. The way I see it I used to clean and take the bins out at my biggest so its not really exercise. I always thought that if you had your lifestyle set to seditary (sp?) It factored in daily things like that.

I do like seeing some of the things people add. The best had to be singing standing up! The person who logged it didn't stay long but used to write lots of updates about how she was eating the extra cals and losing nothing and got very irrate when told standing up isn't really an exercise.
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    the other day I made bread by hand and not in the mixer - as in june I collapsed and was then on enforced bed rest and no activity for over a month and my fitness is still not back I did include that - have you made bread by hand lately - its not something most people do as part of their daily lives

I really have concerns when people post such topics

you dont log it - so what
    I log it because it helps me get back to full fitness - I long for the days when I can do a trip to the gym for 2 hours 5 times a week
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    If you know these people so well as to know what their regular life is like why don't you ask them why they log it? I log cleaning because I am busy and only clean about 2x a week. it only gets me like 50 cals burned, but it's something. And one of my friends counts when she goes to check the mail. Her mailbox is 1/2 a mile down (and then back up) a steep hill from her.
  • cheeki119
    cheeki119 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    to be honest until i heard the responces i agreed, i think of myself as suportive but didnt think of that. x
  • bgillis7
    bgillis7 Posts: 124
    Options
    i saw someone log driving as exercise lol
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    The way I see it I used to clean and take the bins out at my biggest so its not really exercise

I have seen this reasoning before, but have never understood it. I did Zumba, Yoga, Pilates & jogged on a treadmill at my biggest on a rather regular basis when I was at my biggest, but they still count as exercise...
  • silentnacht
    Options
    the other day I made bread by hand and not in the mixer - as in june I collapsed and was then on enforced bed rest and no activity for over a month and my fitness is still not back I did include that - have you made bread by hand lately - its not something most people do as part of their daily lives

Oh, man, kneading dough is a great upper body workout. On paper it looks simple, but when it's a recipe that requires 10+ minutes your arms will definitely feel it.

I make Stollen for all my relatives every Christmas and by the end of it I swear my arms aren't attached to my body anymore. /bread-baking story
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    wow, Virginia, what a fantastic response! you totally changed the way I thought about it

Glad to have given you a different perspective. :flowerforyou:
  • claire_90
    Options
    I 100% agree with the original post and if someone is a repeat offender of this I usually delete them as petty as it sounds.

MFP has a daily activity calculator. If you are scrubbing the floor cinderella style every night for 2 hours then you should set yourself to be a higher level of activity than what you have rather than adding every day activity as extra work.

Edit* I'm talking about everyday activity - assuming cleaning is everyday, if it's not then I just envy your life and am bitter and jealous I have to clean lol
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I only log planned exercise. I my play with my daughter and burn some calories, but that's just bonus calories burned for me. Now I know people who will log "exercise" so they have an excuse to cheat on their diet.
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    Wow...I'm not here to judge... everyone is unique. I wouldn't want to be a friend to someone who thinks something I log is petty be it food or exercise.
  • swatts7622
    swatts7622 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I delete people that overlog, may sound harsh but I just come from the gym for a hour where I only burned 300 calories working my *kitten* off I dont want to come log it and see "so and so had burned 678 calories cleaning- light-moderate for 30 mins" ect... Bums me out lol
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I only log planned exercise. I my play with my daughter and burn some calories, but that's just bonus calories burned for me. Now I know people who will log "exercise" so they have an excuse to cheat on their diet.

Thats exactly why I exercise. So I can have an extra snack. I earned it so I'm going to eat it as instructed by myfitnesspal. I do not consider it cheating.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I don't log anything unless it's extra exercise; like going to the gym, playing a sport, a long walk, or riding my bike.
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    knitting.. yep saw it.

My opinion is if it is working for them then they should keep doing it .
    We do whatever it takes for us to be motivated, good on them.
This discussion has been closed.