Logging exercise for absurd things

Options

Replies

• tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Just to let everyone know, I will be logging my jam session with the game Dance Central 2 today! Thought I would share that, but no I don't log my housework.
  • Krissie_Triaxis
    Options
    Someone mentioned singing standing up didn't seem like it should count as exercise, but singing correctly with lots of support is an exercise. I'm just as pooped after a 2 hour rehearsal as I am after a long, brisk, walk. Anyway, just setting the record straight on that one, and yes, I plan on adding my rehearsals as exercise, because they totally are!

Hear hear! BTW, I've just searched the exercise data base, and nothing comes up for 'singing' - I wonder where this person found it?!

I wish there was a listing for singing. After 4 hours on concert days I am always starving, it's hard work!

Isn't it just? I too wish there was a catagory for singing. I front a heavy metal band and out of interest I worm my HRM to a gig of mine to see how much I burn during an average 45 minute set - bounding about the stage as you do under those lights, I work up one hell of a sweat - and lo my HRM registered over 500 cals for 45 mins. I burn that much in a cardio session at the gym. So if someone is logging singing good for them, it can be one hell of a workout.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I don't understand it either.. but alas people to do it.

To me, things like grocery shopping, cleaning, shopping at the mall, are a part of everyday life. They are things that most normal people did everyday without a second thought before they started logging. Now that they have started logging though, all logic goes out the window and everything magically becomes exercise, even if it isn't.

Yesterday I walked around an indoor track for a mile with my students. Normally I don't log that as I would consider it part of my job. Yet I did log it as exercise yesterday because I didn't have time to go to the gym and figured why not log it? Would some people consider that apart of my job and not exercise? Yea probably... and normally I'm in that camp. Circumstances change though, and thats what people have to understand.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why some people log calories for putting out the bin and other things like this.
    I only log what I have gone out my way to do like take a half an hour walk, and such.
    Putting things out in the bin is just things you do in your regular day without thinking.

What are your thoughts?
    and whats the craziest thing some one has logged that you have seen?

I don't log for those things, but it's none of my business what others do unless they specifically ask my opinion.

I don't understand why people waste their energy worrying about what other people log as exercise.
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned singing standing up didn't seem like it should count as exercise, but singing correctly with lots of support is an exercise. I'm just as pooped after a 2 hour rehearsal as I am after a long, brisk, walk. Anyway, just setting the record straight on that one, and yes, I plan on adding my rehearsals as exercise, because they totally are!

Hear hear! BTW, I've just searched the exercise data base, and nothing comes up for 'singing' - I wonder where this person found it?!

I wish there was a listing for singing. After 4 hours on concert days I am always starving, it's hard work!

Isn't it just? I too wish there was a catagory for singing. I front a heavy metal band and out of interest I worm my HRM to a gig of mine to see how much I burn during an average 45 minute set - bounding about the stage as you do under those lights, I work up one hell of a sweat - and lo my HRM registered over 500 cals for 45 mins. I burn that much in a cardio session at the gym. So if someone is logging singing good for them, it can be one hell of a workout.

Absolutely. If I'm singing properly, I'm sweating and my heart rate increases. I can't wear an HRM onstage - doesn't really fit in with the historic costumes ;-) - but it would be interesting to know how much I do burn, between the singing and the running all over the stage, under intense lighting, in a 20kg costume!
  • lrbarrett
    Options
    Well, let me give my reasons for logging housecleaning.... I work 12 hours night shifts about 4-5 days a week. I can't always make it to the gym between work and trying to keep a house going with a 4yo and a son in a college and a fiance about to deploy.... Bottom line is this, I vacuum, sweep, mop, dust, do laundry, make beds, scrub toilets/showers, and clean up the yard EVERY SINGLE DAY...in addition to being on my feet 12 hours a night as a nurse. For me, personally, I log house cleaning because I like to remind myself that maybe I didn't hit the gym for two hours that day, but I was still up and active and not lying around like a slug. I think people probably log those things because of judgemental people who like to assume they know about other people's lives and if they haven't logged SOMETHING, there will be those who comment about what they didn't do. I guess we are screwed in life because there are always going to be those perfect people in the world whose examples we should learn from, huh?
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Well, let me give my reasons for logging housecleaning.... I work 12 hours night shifts about 4-5 days a week. I can't always make it to the gym between work and trying to keep a house going with a 4yo and a son in a college and a fiance about to deploy.... Bottom line is this, I vacuum, sweep, mop, dust, do laundry, make beds, scrub toilets/showers, and clean up the yard EVERY SINGLE DAY...in addition to being on my feet 12 hours a night as a nurse. For me, personally, I log house cleaning because I like to remind myself that maybe I didn't hit the gym for two hours that day, but I was still up and active and not lying around like a slug. I think people probably log those things because of judgemental people who like to assume they know about other people's lives and if they haven't logged SOMETHING, there will be those who comment about what they didn't do. I guess we are screwed in life because there are always going to be those perfect people in the world whose examples we should learn from, huh?

Well said! :flowerforyou:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I dont understand why people worry about what others do (that has NO effect on them or their lives) so much.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I really love when people say,well I cleaned my house when I was fat. Yeah and you were probobly eating at a calorie surrplus as well.
  • witchygirl71
    Options
    i like logging stuff that I even normally do, this way I can add (or eat) a few extra calories that I didn't even know I had!
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    *Worth reading later*... this one is bound to get good! :smokin:
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have just remembered - and this I did judge a little, so I eat my words.

The funniest thing I have seen on here was someone asking how to log calories burned in the sauna. Because sweating means burning calories, right?

I apologise, I do judge sometimes. But not for things that actually expend some energy.

actually sauna burns up to 200 kcals per session
    i wouldnt log, but if it helps someone to track burned vs eaten, then why not?
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have just remembered - and this I did judge a little, so I eat my words.

The funniest thing I have seen on here was someone asking how to log calories burned in the sauna. Because sweating means burning calories, right?

I apologise, I do judge sometimes. But not for things that actually expend some energy.

actually sauna burns up to 200 kcals per session
    i wouldnt log, but if it helps someone to track burned vs eaten, then why not?

Is that right? How long is a session? <dubious smiley>
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If your settings are sedentary and you go nuts one day cleaning the house from top to bottom but you don't log it, won't you run a huge unhealthy calorie deficit?
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

exactly
    i skiped the gym the day i moved to the new office and was busy for 6h unpacking files, invoices lots of heavy paper ect.
    this is the first time i loged normal activity,
    if it makes me sweat like a gym, and makse my back hurt like it did, then i will log it!

Well said! :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    Options
    If your settings are sedentary and you go nuts one day cleaning the house from top to bottom but you don't log it, won't you run a huge unhealthy calorie deficit?

Housecleaning doesn't burn as many calories as people think. It takes me at least 11 minutes of running 5 mph to burn 100 calories. I can mop my kitchen, two bathrooms, entryway and small laundry room in about 15 minutes and am not exerting nearly the effort that running exerts. I can then vacuum every room in my house and the stairs in another 10 minutes, probably less.

So, yes, you'll burn some calories. But it's not a ton. And even if it is, ONE DAY of being low on calories isn't going to hurt anything.

Like I said, I personally don't log housework of any kind, even if I move furniture to do it. But what you do is your business.
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I delete people that overlog, may sound harsh but I just come from the gym for a hour where I only burned 300 calories working my *kitten* off I dont want to come log it and see "so and so had burned 678 calories cleaning- light-moderate for 30 mins" ect... Bums me out lol

Think about this for a minute - the person who burned 600 calories from cleaning the house has a HELL of a lot farther to go than you do for weight loss. I started over 300 lbs - at that weight, walking 3mph for 90 minutes was over 750 calories. now its down quite a bit. Tiny little people who are stressing over 2 pounds or 2 inches annoy me and bum me out a lot more than the guy who's struggling to make a life changing (and life-SAVING) move to responsible & healthy living.

I would totally agree if it wasn't the skinny mineys claming to have burned 600+ calories from cleaning lol... This girl had like 20 lbs to lose vs. my 50.

then either they're 10 feet tall, or they're cheating. that's another issue entirely.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I think you'd have to almost weigh so much that you're immobile in order to burn 600-plus calories in 30 minutes of cleaning!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I delete people that overlog, may sound harsh but I just come from the gym for a hour where I only burned 300 calories working my *kitten* off I dont want to come log it and see "so and so had burned 678 calories cleaning- light-moderate for 30 mins" ect... Bums me out lol

Some people can really burn that. The larger and more out of shape a person is, the harder and much more effort that 30 minutes of cleaning will be. They would be happy to be in your spot where your body is more efficient and working so much better than theirs is. Yes, some people overlog, and some of them even know it. Others, really do burn very high because of their weight.
This discussion has been closed.