Logging exercise for absurd things

Options

Replies

• castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladyraven68 - that's a very good post indeed!
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I set my activity level as sedentary as that seemed to mean you just got up, ate, and then spent the day on mfp.

I then logged anything that got my heartrate up for 30 minutes. Sport and exercise, of course, but also vacuuming, fishing, pruning, folding clothes, grocery shopping, mowing, man, when you are on 1200 you will log anything for an extra boiled egg! Lost just under a pound and a half a week.

Whatever works, and let's not laugh at people who are trying.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    People who say "well you should adjust your activity level" are being very narrow minded. No one has the exact same activity every day. I spend 3-4 days a week running about like mad and don't get to sit down for 5 minutes from 8 am - 8 pm. The other days I am working and sitting down, and not moving much at all. I imagine most people have a similar weekly pattern. No one does the same every day of the week. I would rather set my activity level by my least active days and then log more on my active days, than over estimate my activity 3 days a week for the sake of the other 4.

Surely that's not a difficult concept to grasp?
  • zlem
    zlem Posts: 92
    Options
    I got my new HRM today so I wore it while I mowed the lawn to try it out. 170ish calories for 52 minutes. Damn. I was sweating my big fat butt off too, trying to get it done before it rained.

According to MFP database for cardio "Mowing lawn, general" for 52 minutes is over 400!. Won't bother logging it next time.

I have seen "fishing from riverbank" in the newsfeed before, lol
  • MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    As the saying goes, "each to their own" its up to you what you log and everyone else what they log. I am set at "sedantry" as i have an office job, but i dotn sit on my *kitten* when i get home so if i do something that breaks a sweat i will log it, allbeit, hardcore hoovering, sex, etc. And its never hurt me, i have got to my goal weight following this and my journey was a succes.
  • swatts7622
    swatts7622 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I delete people that overlog, may sound harsh but I just come from the gym for a hour where I only burned 300 calories working my *kitten* off I dont want to come log it and see "so and so had burned 678 calories cleaning- light-moderate for 30 mins" ect... Bums me out lol

Think about this for a minute - the person who burned 600 calories from cleaning the house has a HELL of a lot farther to go than you do for weight loss. I started over 300 lbs - at that weight, walking 3mph for 90 minutes was over 750 calories. now its down quite a bit. Tiny little people who are stressing over 2 pounds or 2 inches annoy me and bum me out a lot more than the guy who's struggling to make a life changing (and life-SAVING) move to responsible & healthy living.

I would totally agree if it wasn't the skinny mineys claming to have burned 600+ calories from cleaning lol... This girl had like 20 lbs to lose vs. my 50.
  • fteale
    Options
    Someone mentioned singing standing up didn't seem like it should count as exercise, but singing correctly with lots of support is an exercise. I'm just as pooped after a 2 hour rehearsal as I am after a long, brisk, walk. Anyway, just setting the record straight on that one, and yes, I plan on adding my rehearsals as exercise, because they totally are!

Hear hear! BTW, I've just searched the exercise data base, and nothing comes up for 'singing' - I wonder where this person found it?!

I wish there was a listing for singing. After 4 hours on concert days I am always starving, it's hard work!
  • fteale
    Options
    I delete people that overlog, may sound harsh but I just come from the gym for a hour where I only burned 300 calories working my *kitten* off I dont want to come log it and see "so and so had burned 678 calories cleaning- light-moderate for 30 mins" ect... Bums me out lol

Think about this for a minute - the person who burned 600 calories from cleaning the house has a HELL of a lot farther to go than you do for weight loss. I started over 300 lbs - at that weight, walking 3mph for 90 minutes was over 750 calories. now its down quite a bit. Tiny little people who are stressing over 2 pounds or 2 inches annoy me and bum me out a lot more than the guy who's struggling to make a life changing (and life-SAVING) move to responsible & healthy living.

I would totally agree if it wasn't the skinny mineys claming to have burned 600+ calories from cleaning lol... This girl had like 20 lbs to lose vs. my 50.

If she is still managing to lose, does it matter?
  • paulyarwooduk
    Options
    Some people might have had virtually no activity level before joining MFP, so if they are doing something outta the ordinary, then why not log it? I don't count things like dishes or laundry, but if I go outside and mow the lawn (push mower obviously), then I'll log it. If a person is starting from a point in their life that they see "every day things" as exercise, then little victories that seem absurd to others could be a big deal to them. Maybe the trash bin is far away from their house - our trash bins are about 1/5 mile away from our house because we have a long driveway, but I have my DH bring that out. lol If I had to bring it out, I'd log it too! 2/5 mile is 2/5 mile! That being said, I don't log the odd household things, but instead think of them as bonus points, but I don't think it's nice to call something someone else logs absurd - like I said, it could be a victory for that person to have accomplished something they used to not do. Besides - if they are only doing it to make up reasons to eat more, then they probably aren't in the same place as some of us, and need more support from this community, not ridicule. Just my $.02.

Nicely said. It's great to read some non-judgemental common sense :smile:
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    And then there are things others do that don't affect me...
  • fteale
    Options
    I do like seeing some of the things people add. The best had to be singing standing up!

There's a category for singing standing up? That's good to know! I've been logging my practise as 'Playing music' (I'm an opera singer, and believe me when I say that singing at high intensity can make you sweat!). If it's exercise over a sustained period of time, 'say 10 mins plus, I log it, regardless of the activity. Tiny bursts of activity, I can't be bothered with. That's my personal choice, and it works for me. Everyone has to find their own method, and everyone's circumstances and lifestyle is slightly different.

Hi there! I was an opera singer before I had children. Now I do choral singing instead, which isn't nearly as fun.
  • popchex
    popchex Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I logged cleaning yesterday because I was moving furniture around to clean under it and scrubbing my kids' walls. But it's posts like this that make me feel I have to justify it so other people won't think it's absurd. Also going to echo the post about limitations. I have been in almost constant pain for 2.5 years and have just recently been able to be active thanks to the help of an exercise physiologist and a psychologist. Hell yes, I'm going to celebrate being able to do ANYTHING active for 15, 20, 30 minutes, no matter what it is, or how many calories it's burned, if it means I was moving!
  • fteale
    Options
    Ok, I have just remembered - and this I did judge a little, so I eat my words.

The funniest thing I have seen on here was someone asking how to log calories burned in the sauna. Because sweating means burning calories, right?

I apologise, I do judge sometimes. But not for things that actually expend some energy.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I understood this whole My Fitness Pal thing is about an individual losing weight / getting healthy. I have seen a lot of really skinny people here who are probably in it for the "Fitness" - some of us are here for the "Fatness".

If anyone wants to log anything it is THEIR body; THEIR actions and their results. It doesn't take away from any one else. This is NOT a competition between people, it is a challenge to each individual. The individual will get a better understanding of what they eat and how they exercise, and how it all fits together. If they "cheat" then they will know.

So enjoy YOUR exercise and efforts, whatever they may be; support your friends here in their exercise and efforts, and appreciate we all have a reason to be here.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I just got my hysterectomy. Do you know how badly it hurts, and puts me in pain during something like.. chopping veggies, or sweeping, or walking two blocks to the bus stop?

ETA :: It cut me off. Therefore, I'm going to log those things, as I can't 'exercise' for another few weeks. Thanks!
  • popchex
    popchex Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just got my hysterectomy. Do you know how badly it hurts, and puts me in pain during something like.. chopping veggies, or sweeping, or walking two blocks to the bus stop?

ETA :: It cut me off. Therefore, I'm going to log those things, as I can't 'exercise' for another few weeks. Thanks!

If it's anything even remotely similar to having a c-section (I'd imagine yours is worse though!) then you have my support and sympathies! Getting out of bed after I had my kids was worth logging - it took me long enough and worked up a sweat!

Heck, 2.5 years later and I'm still getting twinges in my scars if I move wrong!
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Personally I log my 30 DS and my 6 week 6 pack routines. And I also use my stationary bike and log that too.
    If I'm out for more than half an hr I'll log it as I'm always pushing a 1 yr old in a buggy, and usually laden with shopping lol!

Things like bins, normal housework etc though I don't tend to bother with unless I've broken a sweat - I'm on my feet all day with
    two little ones I'm running around after so have my exercise level as moderate anyway.
  • radosti1
    radosti1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    On Monday, I logged 3 hrs of standing, because I didn't know what else to call it. I took 3 kids to a bounce place, followed them from bounce to bounce and stood watch as they played. I had to separate them if one accidentally kicked another one while bouncing, constantly try to keep them all in view as they bounced with a hundred other kids and tried to scatter to different bounces on me. And I had to constantly run to refill the water bottles as they were chugging water like it was going out of style. Trust me, by the end of three hours there, I myself was ready for a nap. It was draining as I was on high alert the entire time. Plus, whenever they got a bump, I was there picking them up, carrying them around to soothe. Each bit was normal to my day, but it was draining to do it for three hours. We don't normally go to these places, but it was too cold to do anything outside.
  • Jessica_Sarah
    Options
    I generally log anything that is out of the ordinary for me. For example, I clean every day, but only once a week do I go mad and clean for an hour or so. My heartrate is raised and I start sweating, so I think I should log it.
This discussion has been closed.