Friend snobs

Options

Replies

• millionsofpeaches
    Options
    I like to surround myself with people that have similar goals...

I am not snobby about who friends me but I rarely request to be friends with anyone. I also like to keep my friends list small so I can keep up with everyone and focus on them. If I have more than 50 or so friends it gets hard to remember everyone. Other than that, the only thing I ask people to do is put a note in the request so I can see why they want to be my friend. Also, if someone has no profile pic, no interaction, and no message... I do deny them.

This is my philosophy behind my friends list. I don't think its snobby. However, I do like to have genuine connections with the people that see all of my stuff.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    <
    snob

My friends should feel special. :blushing:

And I do, every second of every day
  • jpalimpsest
    Options
    I'm introverted and maintain a small, but close, circle of friends in real life. Does that make me a snob? I should hope not.

How is friending in MFP any different?

Extroverts may want a ton of MFP friends. As an introvert, that would be overwhelming, draining, stressful, and counter-productive.
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    Well I believe the purpose of " fitness friends" is to support them and if your list is so big, how can you possibly do that? I purposely keep my friend list small so that I can help and support along the way. For me, it’s not about the quantity of friends, it’s the quality of friends. If your friends aren't supporting you along the way or aren't logging in for days and weeks...how is that helping you? I say if you’re working towards a fitness goal, find friends that you have things in common with and that want to help you succeed; then get to the know them. But if you’re not looking for genuine support then by all means, add everyone.
  • carlie_carl
    Options
    Hi,
    Just wondering why some people seem stingy about who their friend are on this app? I guess everybody is different but aren't we all here striving for the same goals? I love friends, the more the better!
    It kind of puts me off when I ask to friend somebody (i always include a message!) and they completely blow me off. These same people are in the community forums over and over again so its not like I am asking people who never log in.
    So if you feel the same way and we are not friends yet please friend me, i wont let you down...LOL

your a trooper! :P I dont add people but I know you wont let me down I have faith lol :-)
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'm not friends with everybody I know in the real world, why would I want to be friends with everyone in the internet world? Some people you get along with, some people you don't. Some people you know you are not going to get along with by the things they say and do. Why would you hang around with them? It has nothing to do with being a snob.

Was starting to type a response then found this and decided it totally summed up what I was going to say.

I will add that when I first started I added pretty much anyone/everyone. Now I have a solid friends list, people I have gotten to know and trust. I say things on my wall I may not want the general public to see, so for me it's partly a trust thing as well as having support.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    <
    snob

And I do, every second of every day

Me too. :love:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I rarely send friend requests and if I do it's because I feel like there's a connection with someone. If I appreciate your sense of humor or intelligence and see it demonstrated over and over, I will send a request.

If you send me one, usually I will accept, but I may not keep you if I don't feel like we click.

If we all friended everyone on the site, we'd never be able to keep up.

WHY should I be friends with you? Just because we're both exercising and eating healthy? That isn't a reason.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    <
    snob

I do, Q.

I'm also a friend snob. I try to keep my list to people who make me laugh, who I find inspiring, and with whom I can communicate regularly.

Also, I have a huge list of food intolerances and an eating disorder history, so I try to avoid people who routinely under eat.

What it really comes down to is that MFP isn't a popularity contest, it doesn't matter if people reject you, if you like your friend and you are making progress call it a good day.
  • mtperry9
    mtperry9 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Personal preference I suppose. I don't mind out here having whoever friend. Try to keep my more social media sites restricted.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Just wondering why some people seem stingy about who their friend are on this app? I guess everybody is different but aren't we all here striving for the same goals? I love friends, the more the better!
    It kind of puts me off when I ask to friend somebody (i always include a message!) and they completely blow me off. These same people are in the community forums over and over again so its not like I am asking people who never log in.
    So if you feel the same way and we are not friends yet please friend me, i wont let you down...LOL

Honestly, if we're talking about you specifically? I don't know much about you. Your profile isn't filled out, I can't see any wall posts because we aren't friends, and you've posted in the forums 3 times, one of which was this post. You say we all have the same goals but I would argue that we may have all come to MFP with similar and/or related goals, but my goals may not be the same as yours, or my way of going about reaching my goals may not be the same. For example, if you were someone who wants to work out through the power of a specific religious entity, or if you wanted to worship at the shrine of a particular drink shake or diet supplement, that would likely not align with me and my personality, so we probably would grate on each other's nerves. And conversely, my beliefs would not align with yours.

Since there's no information about you in your profile and I can't see anything else about you, I would probably decline a friend request from you.

(You asked why people declined, just giving you an example)

it's like you read that from the prompter in my brain.
  • mtperry9
    mtperry9 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I keep my FL at a low number so I can truly support all of my friends:) I am super busy with my kids and life in general so I keep it low and I usually have time to comment on everyone’s workouts or diary!! I <3 everyone on my FL:smile:

RyanDanielle5 - 'Script Ohio' ... excellent pic !!!!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options

I did, didn't you feel me crawling through your brain?
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    <
    also a snob
    I only have friends I know IRL. I had a few "friends" early on, but didn't interact with them in any meaningful way. Other than MFP, we just didn't have anything in common.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm frelling awesome, so I only want friends that can keep up their end of the awesome.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm frelling awesome, so I only want friends that can keep up their end of the awesome.
    Your end is frelling awesome...
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

I did, didn't you feel me crawling through your brain?

oh, thank GOODNESS. i was worried i was gonna have to go back on meds.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me by quite a few people..i guess im just not cool enough :flowerforyou:
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options

I am so awesome, that Dot can't keep up with me!

But, seriously, you may want to consider filling out your profile and providing people with a reason to add you. If someone says they are a card carrying PETA member, they probably don't want to see my venison burger dinners . . .
  • Arcamanda
    Arcamanda Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    :)
    LOL I actually agree with A LOT of this...my original post was just kind of a spur of the moment thing after I read a post one of my "reject friends" had responded to. I probably will feel the same way when my friend list grows! I don't feel like I have to respond to all of my friends status updates and i respond only when i have time. I am a wife, I have a 6 month old and a 5 year old, I work full time as a nurse and I have little time for myself. As far as being an idiot, well I guess I can be that sometimes too! :) Thanks to those that friended me and to those that didn't thank you too!