I <3 MFP but really, is this nastiness necessary?

Options
12346»

Replies

• kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    1. You are spot on with your insight that everyone has certain things that resonate (in good and bad ways) with them because of their own issues. Forums like these (and the much gnarlier ones) can be a great place to find out what our triggers are...and what patterns or behaviors or beliefs we might be holding on to that we aren't even acknowledging. And like you said, we can use those posts and opinions that get us bent out of shape to look at what we'd like to change in *ourselves* (the only people we can completely change, afterall). Excellent points.

That being said,

2. I wonder what the hell happened to that Dr.PhilMcGraw dude, that compels him to sucker punch people online. I would love to analyze him.

3. Yeah, I'm a psychologist. Sorry for all the jargon.
    Please define this "sucker punch" terminology. I've yet to do my clinicals.
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    1. You are spot on with your insight that everyone has certain things that resonate (in good and bad ways) with them because of their own issues. Forums like these (and the much gnarlier ones) can be a great place to find out what our triggers are...and what patterns or behaviors or beliefs we might be holding on to that we aren't even acknowledging. And like you said, we can use those posts and opinions that get us bent out of shape to look at what we'd like to change in *ourselves* (the only people we can completely change, afterall). Excellent points.

That being said,

2. I wonder what the hell happened to that Dr.PhilMcGraw dude, that compels him to sucker punch people online. I would love to analyze him.

I think it's just schtick... his advice is so obviously over-the-top that it's hard to believe anyone would take anything he posts seriously - let alone dive out of a moving vehicle over it. I'm guessing it's a frustrated creative-type just fleshing out a bit comedy or a sketch at the expense of the unsuspecting posters.

It does make for some might fine forum trolling lulz, though.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

That being said,

I think it's just schtick... his advice is so obviously over-the-top that it's hard to believe anyone would take anything he posts seriously - let alone dive out of a moving vehicle over it. I'm guessing it's a frustrated creative-type just fleshing out a bit comedy or a sketch at the expense of the unsuspecting posters.

You troll...because you can.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    ........ dey see me trollin ........ dey hatin! .......
  • juliesauber13
    Options

That being said,

You troll...because you can.

Ha! Agreed again. Comedy is not pretty (Steve Martin). And trolling can definitely be entertaining. Also kennethmgreen: I am proposing "sucker punch" to be defined in the DSM-VI under criteria for "trolling compulsion".