How do you eat cottage cheese?

Options

Replies

• PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup cottage cheese, 1/4 cup fresh blueberries (or any fruit), 1/4 cup Kashi go lean crunch. So yum and filling and only 100 calories!
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I like to sprinkle sugar free dry jello powder on it and add fruit that goes good with the flavor jello you're using. To make it creamier - add a dollop of fat free or light cool whip. Yum
  • twynzmom
    twynzmom Posts: 172
    Options
    I top baked potatoes with it or I eat it for breakfast with almonds. Tomatoes sound good with it
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat it if you don't like it!

Bingo! we have a winner.

Why eat something you don't like?

Find something you do instead.
  • ADobs
    ADobs Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a fan either, UNTIL I found something to mix with it and now I cannot go a day without it! What I really enjoyed was mixing yogurt with it and more recently - canned peaches (packed in water and no sugar added). sooooo good! I love the salty/sweet combination. Honey is really good with it too. mmm cottage cheese. and to think at one time it made me gag profusely.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I eat it plain, and sometimes with healthy vegetable chips or sausage. :)
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    The only way I've ever eaten it was to make a healthy poutine with it. Sounds weird but sooo good!

I take fries (either store bought frozen or made from potatoes cut up) and bake them in the oven. I than get a low sodium gravy which I put on top of the fries in a bowl than put some cottage cheese on top. I'm not a fan of restaurant poutines for the most part but this was amazing! Only way I'll eat cottage cheese.

I used to work with a guy who would mix jam into it or just eat it straight.
  • kelleyish
    kelleyish Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese but I'm very picky about it. The quality of it varies all over the place, both in taste and texture. Since going low carb I've been on a constant hunt for the good stuff, and every time I found a brand I liked, the manufactuerer would change it somehow.

I'm not sure where you live, but I'm in Texas and I have had wonderful luck with Braum's cottage cheese. They are a hamburger and ice cream restaurant, and they have little stores attached to their restaurants where they sell cartons of their ice cream and milk and cheese (and quite a few other things). I've been buying their cottage cheese for months and every carton tastes the same - wonderful!

Also, I buy the full fat version, not low fat. The extra 30 calories per serving are worth it for me, and enhances the taste greatly.

As for add ins, I'm all about the fruit (when I'm not trying to be low carb) Canned pineapple, peaches, and fruit coctail (no sugar added) are very convenient for snacks at work.

And finally, if you really can't stand it, try mozzarella cheese sticks and beef jerky, two other low-carb friendly snacks.

Good luck!
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    cottage cheese makes me gag.... every time.
  • darcy1982
    darcy1982 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese on my salad w/ a lil s &p
  • cypridae
    cypridae Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've learned to love cottage cheese for breakfast. I eat 1/2 c with diced apple or fresh seasonal fruit. I also add 2 tablespoons walnut pieces for crunch. For me it's really satisfying and "meaty",and holds me far longer than a dish of cereal.
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    With some natures seasoning:) I like it by itself! It's great on salads too:)
  • auntie_missy
    auntie_missy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is a high sodium product - I wouldn't suggest adding more salt to it.
  • Blingndee
    Options
    I adore soup and cottage cheese!, so I basicly mix them. Yet, I never put the cottage cheese into the soup...I always spoon the soup onto the cottage cheese....
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like to sprinkle sugar free dry jello powder on it and add fruit that goes good with the flavor jello you're using. To make it creamier - add a dollop of fat free or light cool whip. Yum

Oooh! Thanks for the reminder, I haven't had this in years. Now I gotta buy some cottage cheese.

Orange jello powder & crushed pineapple. Yummy
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I make a tasty dessert type thing with it. I mix 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 2 Tbs of Light Cool Whip, 1/4 cup of blackberries, 1/4 cup of blueberries and 2 splenda or Truvia.
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    I love it with sprouts and hot sauce. :blushing:
  • KRenae89
    Options
    You don't have to have cottage cheese, there are other yummy snacks that are good for weight loss! If you are looking for dairy, fat-free Greek yogurt with fresh fruit is one of my faves! The protein in the Greek yogurt will keep you fuller longer! Good luck! :-)
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I really love cottage cheese with cling peaches. Yuum :)
  • abcmiah
    abcmiah Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Mix it with salsa and eat it as a dip.