Anybody else have trouble eating breakfast in the morning?

Options

Replies

• nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I mix Greek yogurt, frozen berries, and whey protein for a smoothie. I drink that on my way to work and in my first hour of work. Then around 10 AM or so I have egg whites and turkey sausage. YUM.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    just coffee for me, thanks
  • mandy42smith
    Options
    I used to get sick if I ate in the morning also, thats when I cut out the coffee and now I drink water. Coffee can be hard on your stomach I have found.
  • mavsgurl30
    Options
    i make a batch of oatmeal for the entire week, and then just weight it out every morning and microwave. or if i'm late for school, i'll grab 2 Kashi waffles w/ some sugar-free jam. i'm not a big breakfast eater either, but i find that i eat more during the day if i don't eat at least a small breakfast
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    It is recommended to eat something about every 4 hours to keep you metabalism going. If you eat something within 4 hours of getting up you should be fine.

I don't get how this makes sense - you are actually going 12 hours without eating if you get 8 hrs of sleep. If eating every 4 hours is necessary, than why aren't we all setting alarms for 2 a.m. to get that snack in?? I just don't know if I believe the "rev the metabolism with frequent meals" thing.
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Do what is best for you... A lot of people will say "it's the most important meal of the day" and for them it might be but it's not for everyone.

I love breakfast foods but I never eat breakfast. I usually have two cups of coffee and then around 11am I have "brunch". Works for me.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    The only reason I am religious about eating breakfast is because if I don't, it makes me ravenous, which makes me eat really bad stuff at lunch time.

Unless you have that problem, don't worry about eating breakfast.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Usually when I wake up the only thing I can manage to down is a cup of coffee with almond milk and stevia.
    I've always had a sensitive stomach in the morning since I was little so I'm pretty conditioned to go without breakfast, however my body seems to want to make up for it especially late at night >.<

If you're not hungry in the morning or can operate fine without it, there is no reason to eat it everyday or anyday. It provides no special benefits for weight loss, unless you personally happen to find that eating breakfast allows you to better control your cals

What he said.

I on the other hand wake up famished.
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    when I was a smoker I could never eat breakfast
    now I like
    oats dairy free milk substitute and some fruit
    or scambled eggs and mushrooms
    dont have much different from that unless I am out and about early and then I have belvita breakfast biscuits as they are easy to eat on the run
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I am like you. I find it very hard to eat anything in the morning. I tried many different things, and have realized that I don't mind greek yogurt in the morning. So nowadays, I eat a greek yogurt with some fiber one cereal in the morning.
  • bosstimmy
    Options
    I dont think anyone really rolls out of bed and eats large meals- its not comfortable and it takes your body a little time to get moving. but once you get moving, you need to eat.

you could have a sensitive stomach in the morning because you were digesting the food you ate before bed. Protein is the most difficult food to digest, and it is the most energy-sustaining so it makes the most sense to eat more protein-based foods earlier in the day. my body usually needs about an hour until im ready to eat something and then i'll have a hardboiled egg.
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It is recommended to eat something about every 4 hours to keep you metabalism going. If you eat something within 4 hours of getting up you should be fine.

I don't get how this makes sense - you are actually going 12 hours without eating if you get 8 hrs of sleep. If eating every 4 hours is necessary, than why aren't we all setting alarms for 2 a.m. to get that snack in?? I just don't know if I believe the "rev the metabolism with frequent meals" thing.

There is some truth to the "reving" the metabolism theory. Our digestive system uses a huge amount of our energy and keeping it going is a great way to keep calories burning and our metabolism going. So eating low calorie snacks to with your digestive system running you burn more calories than if you just added those calories to one of your meals. True or not, that is the theory behind it and there is a lot of science to back it up as well (as with every other weight loss theory out there no matter how crazy).

Now sleep is also very important and we need less energy while we sleep so our bodies compensate and getting enough sleep is vital to weight loss and health. Not getting enough sleep to "stoke" the metabolism fires would be silly.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    If you really want to eat breakfast and are having a hard time doing so, here is what I suggest. It will take some commitment. First, you'll need to get a night job, or take classes at night. Then you need to place foil over all your windows. Make sure you are not exposed to actual sunlight for a couple weeks. You body will need to adjust to this. During the adjustment period, change the times on all the clocks in your house and all your watches, cars, audio/video components, etc. Also make sure you cover any clocks at school or job. You don't want to know the real time. After all this, you are ready. Then when you are hungry, sit down and have a big meal. Call it breakfast.

Or, you could just eat when you are hungry and follow your calorie and macro goals.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i eat breakfast anywhere between thirty minutes to two hours of waking up.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

There is some truth to the "reving" the metabolism theory. Our digestive system uses a huge amount of our energy and keeping it going is a great way to keep calories burning and our metabolism going. So eating low calorie snacks to with your digestive system running you burn more calories than if you just added those calories to one of your meals. True or not, that is the theory behind it and there is a lot of science to back it up as well (as with every other weight loss theory out there no matter how crazy).

There is 0 science and 0 truth to that.

You are referring to TEF, here's Lyle McDonald's easy to understand explanation;
    Eat more frequently and metabolic rate goes up more, right? Because you’re stimulating TEF more often. Well, no. Here’s why:

Say we have two people, both eating the same 3000 calories per day from identical macronutrients. One eats 6 meals of 500 calories/meal while the other eats 3 meals of 1000 calories/meal and we’ll assume a TEF of 10%. So the first will have a TEF of 50 calories (10% of 500) 6 times/day. The second will have a TEF of 100 calories (10% of 1000 calories) 3 times/day. Well, 6X50 = 300 calories/day and 3X100 = 300 calories/day. There’s no difference.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html
  • PATTlCAKES1957
    Options
    Typically I don't eat the usual standard fare for breakfast. I have a cup of coffee or tea in the early morning, then pack a light snack to eat around 10:30 am at work. The snack usually consists of a 1-2 oz portion of grilled chicken breast or shrimp, with some raw carrots and cucumbers mixed in. Then I'll eat a small apple. This seems to work well for me. :smile:
  • Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm not a lover of breakfast and I used to gag trying to eat it I'm the mornings but then ate loads at night. I now eat a nature valley honey and oats bar. It has 193 cals for the 2 bars and will keep me going till 10.30/11ish when I will then eat some fruit or a babybell
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options

There is 0 science and 0 truth to that.

You are referring to TEF, here's Lyle McDonald's easy to understand explanation;
    Eat more frequently and metabolic rate goes up more, right? Because you’re stimulating TEF more often. Well, no. Here’s why:

Say we have two people, both eating the same 3000 calories per day from identical macronutrients. One eats 6 meals of 500 calories/meal while the other eats 3 meals of 1000 calories/meal and we’ll assume a TEF of 10%. So the first will have a TEF of 50 calories (10% of 500) 6 times/day. The second will have a TEF of 100 calories (10% of 1000 calories) 3 times/day. Well, 6X50 = 300 calories/day and 3X100 = 300 calories/day. There’s no difference.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

As I said it is a theory. I personally don't believe the THEORY that it helps with metabolism but I do believe it helps with not getting hungry and then eating too much. I was just explaining the concept since she didn't understand. Either way you can look it up online and find dozens of sites that say that it does and doesn't help with metabolism. I'm not going to say one is right or wrong since I don't truly know, but I don't believe it helps.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My mom would cook us a big breakfast every single morning so I was conditioned to eating breakfast.

Then I got older sort of skipped it for just coffee, which made me "sick" when I ate lunch as it turns out.

So I went back to eating breakfast, it took awhile to get back there, a good 2 yrs.

Along comes MFP. Turns out I eat WAY too much breakfast, lol. So now I have to scale it back to 300ish calories.

So far, so good. Since I have scaled back breakfast, I eat less during the day if you can believe that. Granted my breakfasts were eggs, toasts, eggs benedict, hash browns, you get the picture.
  • Franelizabeth
    Options
    I can not normally manage a breakfast so I have a herbalife milkshake it quick easy and fills me x