Paula Deen represents everything that is wrong with America

Options

Replies

• lyddsmom
    Options
    The problem with Americans? Super Size Me. Plus we eat too much sugar. Also, too many yo-yo diets. If people truly ate in moderation and kept moving there wouldn't be the problem there is. I don't think there is anything wrong with allowing yourself rich food on occasion if you don't over-indulge. Life is too short. Just don't over-do it.

Moreover, leave Paula alone and worry about your own health. You are only in control of you.
  • kristina509
    kristina509 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't believe that so many people want to blame Paula Deen for obesity in America! It's like she brainwashed you into forcing yourself to cook her recipes and then shoved the food down your throat! When did it become the norm to blame someone else for your own actions? I mean seriously! If you don't agree with her style of cooking, then don't watch, it's that simple.

She has diabetes and is now working to share with people the ways she has coped with eating with diabetes. Everyone has to earn a living, and this is the way that she earns hers. If you don't like it, then don't buy her products or watch her on TV. It's really that easy! The food network isn't going to remove all of her cooking shows just because she now has diabetes. If the viewer watching doesn't know the difference between something good for you and not good for you, THAT is the problem.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Green Chile Squares

Recipe Courtesy of Paula Deen

Servings: 6
    Prep Time: 10 min
    Cook Time: 45 min
    Difficulty: Easy
    Ingredients Add to grocery list

Nonstick cooking spray
    6 eggs, beaten
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper sauce
    3 (4-ounce) cans diced green chiles, with juice
    1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack
    1 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar
    Directions

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Spray a 12 by 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

In a bowl, add the eggs, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper sauce. Mix together well.

Add the chiles and both cheeses to a large bowl. Pour the liquid ingredients into the cheese mixture and stir well. Pat the mixture down into the prepared baking dish and bake until the center is firm, about 45 minutes. Allow to cool, then cut into small squares and serve.
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Paula Deen never implied her foods were healthy. Paula Deen never held a gun to anyone's head and forced them to cook her recipes or eat them. Paula Deen is a cook, not your doctor. Every single person is responsible for their own choices and actions, Paula never forced anyone to eat anything. I watch her show a lot and have never once lived under the guise that her food would be good for me. I enjoyed watching her cook, she entertained me...nothing more.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    As a girl raised on Southern foods, btw, they are not like Paula Deen's, the food is not to blame. It is the cook. In this case, Paula Deen, We do not load everything down with butter and fat and sugar. It is just me that is fat in my family and it is because of portions not the food itself. I have never liked Paula Deen or what she said was Southern Food, I do like to eat though, Way too much and that is my fault.
  • Cldum
    Cldum Posts: 5
    Options
    I do like the way her sons are taking some of her recipes and making them healthier...IVe tried some of her recipes and they are just too rich for me and my family...
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Anybody stupid enough to take Paula Deen's advice on food intake deserve diabetes.
    She is CLUELESS!
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Wake Up People....Accountability, Responsibility, Sensibility.....
    Is it Paula Deen's fault she developed Type 2 diabetes....habits + genes = yes
    Is it Paula Deen's fault that America is fat....unless she lives in your home, putting a gun to your head to eat = NO

Your actions = your results
  • dolfn1972
    dolfn1972 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents. Paula Deen is not responsible for yours, mine, or anyones unhealthy eating. She did not hold us at gun point and force us to eat anything. She is not responsible for making america healthy. Guess what...her platform for cooking and her show is Southern Rich and fattening (hearty) meals. Her shows appeal to people that enjoy and eat those types of foods, either on occasion or a regular basis.

Paula Deen is not required as a celebrity to reveal her medical information immediately or ever. Assuming that the timing was planned is a perfect example of the age old addage of what 'assume' means.

Have you met the woman? Do you know her personally? Can you honestly tell me that she has not tried other options/medications? Maybe this is what works for her and that is why she is promoting it? Maybe not?

Should she be promoting healthy eating? Thats not for any of us to say. We all make our own choices in life. If hers is to eat the foods she cooks and take medication to control her diabetes...so be it. It is not my choice..it is not your choice. It is hers. I am not here to preach a lifestyle or demand a change from anyone. Neither should you. Everyone needs to take responsibility for themselves and their own health and STOP THE BLAME GAME.

I wish Paula well and that she is able to control her diabetes and live the life that she wants to live. Live and let live folks
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    It amazes me that one woman is being blamed for all of our wrong doings in the eating department - all of the obesity and diabetes in the US. She doesn't hold a gun to your head and make you eat the stuff she prepares. Her show is entertainment. Do the druggie rock stars make you a druggie? Did McDonalds make you pour that "caution contents hot" cup of hot coffee in your lap, does BurgerKing, Taco Bell, Sonic, Olive Garden or any of the other millions of restaurants and restaurant chains force you to go to their establishments? NO we all make our own choices and if we rely on some TV celebrity cook to make us healthy we are all wrong.

We all eat what we want, when we want and too much of what we want - not need but want. Microwave, fast food instead of good home cooked healthy foods. Prepared & processed not fresh.

And if she can help someone by being a spokesperson for the diabetic drug, and be compensated for it, why not? Don't you get compensated for the work you do? Goodness what has happened to America?

I have watched her on TV and even went to Houston to see her in person and you know what? I have NEVER prepared one of her dishes or eaten any of her food - I just enjoy watching her, Emeril, Guy Fieri, Bobby, two old Fat Ladies and all the other chefs/cooks on TV for entertainment - not my meals or my wasteline (purposefully mispelled).
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents is that "you" can continue "eat everything in moderation" and get the same results as the rest of America: Heart disease, cancer, high blood pressure, and more, or you can take charge of your life and eat the most nutritious food out there: Plants. I am not a doctor, just a student of life. Learning at a late age and SO blessed that I did not give myself Type 2 Diabetes before I got to where I am today. It is a nasty, nasty, NASTY disease of which I watched my mom die (From Type 1 Diabetes) of after 6 months in the hospital when she was just 68. She had every complication promised in the word "diabetes". If you think you can "control" your Type 2 diabetes with medication and skate by, I wish you luck. You'll need it. My 26 years of experience as a Nurse on a Medical Floor in a hospital was quite an eye opener. The drugs you take today will cause you grief tomorrow and you'll need more pills for that problem, too. Now I watch tv years later seeing all the drugs that we routinely gave out like candy being the cause of medical disasters that some law firm wants to help you sue the drug company for. Medicine is NOT the answer. Proper diet and food is. Check out http://www.drfuhrman.com/default.aspx . Your choice.

WELL SAID!!! THNK YOU.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Is it Paula Deen's fault that America is fat....unless she lives in your home, putting a gun to your head to eat = NO

Need I say more!!!
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents. Paula Deen is not responsible for yours, mine, or anyones unhealthy eating. She did not hold us at gun point and force us to eat anything. She is not responsible for making america healthy. Guess what...her platform for cooking and her show is Southern Rich and fattening (hearty) meals. Her shows appeal to people that enjoy and eat those types of foods, either on occasion or a regular basis.

Paula Deen is not required as a celebrity to reveal her medical information immediately or ever. Assuming that the timing was planned is a perfect example of the age old addage of what 'assume' means.

Have you met the woman? Do you know her personally? Can you honestly tell me that she has not tried other options/medications? Maybe this is what works for her and that is why she is promoting it? Maybe not?

Should she be promoting healthy eating? Thats not for any of us to say. We all make our own choices in life. If hers is to eat the foods she cooks and take medication to control her diabetes...so be it. It is not my choice..it is not your choice. It is hers. I am not here to preach a lifestyle or demand a change from anyone. Neither should you. Everyone needs to take responsibility for themselves and their own health and STOP THE BLAME GAME.

I wish Paula well and that she is able to control her diabetes and live the life that she wants to live. Live and let live folks

I agree. I am 60 years old and have never watched or eaten her food. It is a choice. I never cared for Southern food, no offense to anyone. It is just unappealing to me.
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you think you can eat deep fried lasagna, deep fried chocolate, or the FAT (it literally says fat in the name) Darell every day, then your probably going to make a lot of life decisions that will put your health at risk anyway. Might as well eat up.

And in what way does it represent "everything" that is wrong with America? What exactly is wrong with America would be my follow-up question...
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    You all realize traditional French cooking has a considerable amount of fat present in it, no?
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    If you think you can eat deep fried lasagna, deep fried chocolate, or the FAT (it literally says fat in the name) Darell every day, then your probably going to make a lot of life decisions that will put your health at risk anyway. Might as well eat up.

And in what way does it represent "everything" that is wrong with America? What exactly is wrong with America would be my follow-up question...

Nothing is wrong with America, I still believe in the American Dream!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    You all realize traditional French cooking has a considerable amount of fat present in it, no?

ya ...so its the frenchies fault not Paula's!!! leave Paula alone.!!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    But instead, she is choosing to make a wad of cash off drugs, and the implicit message to her fans is, "Don't worry about making yourself sick through your lifestyle; here's some pricey medicine to deal with it." It's terribly sad she's skipped what could have been a great public education opportunity and instead opted for even more profit.

Totally agree with you. She is not the demon everyone is making her out to be bc we each have our own free will. Her recipes were too much even for me to handle and I was 250lbs! I am dissapoointed she didn't take this opportunity to lead the way to a healthier lifestyle. She has such a large fan/audience base that honestly, I think she could help provide that lifestyle shift towards healthier eating.

Except none of that is true. She's NOT making a ton of money off of a drug company, and she has made several lifestyle and diet changes. It's much ado about nothing.
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options

This

I have made several of her recipes that were quite good. Always over the holidays or for a special occasion. No reasonable person would eat this way often.
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with America I still believe in the American Dream!!

YES. As you should!
This discussion has been closed.