Paula Deen represents everything that is wrong with America

Options

Replies

• kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You all realize traditional French cooking has a considerable amount of fat present in it, no?

ya ...so its the frenchies fault not Paula's!!! leave Paula alone.!!!!

This all makes more sense to me now. Paula's good with me.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Anybody stupid enough to take Paula Deen's advice on food intake deserve diabetes.
    She is CLUELESS!

That is not nice. No one deserves to get sick.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Wake Up People....Accountability, Responsibility, Sensibility.....
    Is it Paula Deen's fault she developed Type 2 diabetes....habits + genes = yes
    Is it Paula Deen's fault that America is fat....unless she lives in your home, putting a gun to your head to eat = NO

Your actions = your results
    ^^^^^^^^^
    Very True

But I can still oppose what Paula Deen pushes as good food intake.
    Sometimes it's still OK to call a spade a spade.

And as for her diagnosis of diabetes?
    We all wish her well.....
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's not a surprise. She eats most of what she cooks I'm sure. And they say never trust a skinny chef! Some of the tastiest most succelent food in the world will kill you if eat too much of it! I also want to agree with the fact that she never titled any of her food "Heart Healthy" or "Carb Concious"! She never set out to cook healthy foods, so why be shocked when her foods are bad for you? Yes it's sad to see that she herself developed Type 2 diabetes, but is it newsworthy? I don't really think so....
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Healthy Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake
    Adapted from a recipe by Paula Deen

Serves eight

Ingredients:
    Crust Layer:
    1/4 cup of organic unsalted butter, melted
    2 ounces of cream cheese, softened
    2 cups almond flour
    1 large organic egg
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1/8 tsp sea salt
    3/4 cup erythritol or 1/2 cup xylitol, powdered
    1/4 teaspoon good-tasting pure stevia extract (NuNaturals)
    1/2 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Filling Layer:
    8 ounces cream cheese
    1 stick unsalted organic butter, melted
    1 can pumpkin, packed
    3 eggs
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    3/4 cup erythritol or 1/2 cup xylitol
    1/4 teaspoon good-tasting pure stevia extract (NuNaturals)
    1 and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon ginger

Preparation:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

For crust, melt butter and soften cream cheese in microwave. Grind erythritol in coffee grinder and mix into batter. Mix together until smooth, then add vanilla, egg, and sea salt. Add stevia and baking powder. Scrape into an 8 by 8 metal pan and spread out over the bottom. Bake for 15 minutes and remove to cool.

Soften cream cheese and melt butter in microwave. Grind erythritol in coffee grinder or magic bullet. Beat cream cheese and pumpkin until smooth and without lumps. Add eggs, vanilla extract, and melted butter, and beat until incorporated. Next, add erythritol, stevia, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, and mix just until smooth. Set pan down on counter top a couple times to get out air bubbles. Pour pumpkin mixture over crust and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until center jiggles a bit when you move the pan. It will set up and sink down upon cooling overnight in the refrigerator.

~4.5g net carbs per 1/8th recipe
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Paula Deen will die of a heart attack within the next 3 years, mark my words.

wow....hope poor Paula isnt reading this

I hope she is. I hope it convinces her to get her cholesterol checked and make better choices.
  • Spinelli2288
    Spinelli2288 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My two cents.... if you don't like her recipes, don't use them! Plain and simple. She does her job, just like anyone else and I don't think she should be condemned for it. People choose to live their lives a certain way, and no one is in any position to judge them. If you don't like it, don't read up on it, don't use her recipes, and continue about your day.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Paula Deen will die of a heart attack within the next 3 years, mark my words.

wow....hope poor Paula isnt reading this

I hope she is. I hope it convinces her to get her cholesterol checked and make better choices.

So the doctor said "Were just checking for diabetes, no need to check your cholesterol"?
  • Jewel0124
    Jewel0124 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My two cents is that just because Paula Deen cooks that way doesn't mean that I have to eat it. What ever happened to personal responsibility? I refuse to jump on the band wagon and blame Paula Deen for the obesity epidemic in America. I'm not overweight because of Paula Deen, I'm overweight because I've been lazy. Plain and simple.
  • leslie0422
    leslie0422 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    let's bring out our favorite examples, the French. They eat butter, cream, animal fats, you name it, but they don't have anywhere near our levels of obesity and heart disease. Why? Because they eat small portions.

Great point and so true. I believe everything in moderation is fine and that is how I eat. I am at a healthy weight, have lots of energy, have perfect blood pressure and cholesterol levels and I'm rarely sick. I eat healthy most days but when I want to eat something that is not good for me, I limit the amount that I eat and I make sure I get lots of exercise that day.
    As far as Paula Deen, she never made any bones about the fact that her recipes are unhealthy. That was always very obvious. And as intelligent people we make the choice to cook her recipes or not. It is ridiculous for anyone to blame Paula Deen for our countries obesity epidemic. We have to take personal responsibility for what we eat and how much.
  • luckygirl007
    luckygirl007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Poor Paula Dean.. Some diseases run in the family and therefore genes play an important role. My grandmother (from the south) fried all kind of things, eggplant, okra, green tomatoes, potatoes... you name it. Thing is she grew it all!! No preservatives or additives. She also ate these fruits and veggies fresh. Not saying it was healthy to fry but variety and fresh ingredients included without processed foods make a difference.

Things happen for a reason. Paula Dean getting diabetes is sad but maybe well timed. Hopefully she will change her ways of cooking to improve her own health.

My grandmother lived to be 100... just saying
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the posting that who cares about Paula Deen. It is her choice to make if she wants to represent a drug company for money, and it is every humans choice on what they shovel into their mouth. Everyone by know should know that our portion size is way above normal and that clearing your plate these days has a whole new meaning. Just the other day i measured a cup of Pasta and couldnt believe that 4 ounces was 210 cals, and i looked at my size and then in memory thought about Olive garden and the size of pasta they give you. Everyone makes their own choices and if you are going to let people who make millions effect you that is your issues. Same with people who say they want to look like Jennifer Aniston or whatever. HELLO but last time i checked i didn't have millions to spend on a trainer to wake my *kitten* up every morning and work out. People need to start taking responsibility for their own actions and their own problems. Especially health issues. It is no ones fault but there own. I am sure that 99% of the obese people in this America were not sat on by another person and forced to eat!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    No one is forcing Americans to watch the show or cook her recipes. I watch her show oftenand can't even eat 95% of what she makes due to celiac disease. Should I tell my doctor that I can't stay on my gluten free diet because the Food Network keeps showing gluten filled recipes?

What is wrong with Americans is that they lack common sense. If you eat a diet handed down by an overweight person there is a good chance you will become overweight!

BTW, this article obviously handpicked the MOST over the top examples of her recipes. I've watched the show, read her cookbooks, and before my diagnoses ate at her restaurant and these examples don't accurately represent the majority of her recipes.

I don't agree that these foods can't be eaten in moderation. For the record my grandmother cooked a lot like Paula except replace butter with lard. She lived to be 93 and had no issues with blood sugar or cholesterol.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Paula Deen doesn't represent what's wrong with America. What represents what's wrong with America is a thread full of people BLAMING someone else for their own life choices.

Take responsibility for yourselves and watch this country become the wonderful place that people from all over the world risk their lives to reach.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I'm 8 pounds from goal weight and regularly cook with rendered bacon fat. There's really nothing wrong with whole animal fats - butter, lard, or otherwise - unless you're convinced eating any level of saturated fat in your diet magically causes you to drop over dead.

The same with sugar and starch. It's mostly moderation. Our older generations ate lard, biscuits, etc. and have lived considerably long lives. HOWEVER, I'd bet many of our grandparents in the 1920s and 30s probably expended far more energy on a daily basis than we do today having more activity through manual labor and absence of the time sink and sedentary habits caused by technology. So, essentially, they could afford the denser caloric foods like lard. On this topic, the older generations probably don't have heart failure or diabetes due to their childhood lard/starch consumption; it's more likely a cause of poor lifestyle choices as they aged or if they smoked over the years.

I may cook with fats and have desserts here and there, but I treat it the same as everything else - if it fits in my macros / calorie balance. Sometimes I allow for a splurge. Generally I'd say many of the dessert recipes I've seen from the Food Network from PD would not fit into my macros if made to her "specification." They fit into the splurge category unless they're modified to be healthier.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Paula Deen doesn't represent what's wrong with America. What represents what's wrong with America is a thread full of people BLAMING someone else for their own life choices.

Take responsibility for yourselves and watch this country become the wonderful place that people from all over the world risk their lives to reach.

The thread is actually full of people, for the most part, saying the same thing as you are.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

The thread is actually full of people, for the most part, saying the same thing as you are.

This is true. Most are saying that. But a lot are saying what the title states. I was annoyed and typing faster than my brain. :-)

But I still say that what's wrong with America is the people who blame others for their problems and there are plenty to find in this thread, though not all.
  • Mamafred
    Mamafred Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Paula Deen doesn't make us fat. McDonalds & Burger King don't make us fat. We make ourselves fat and then try to pass the buck.
  • Happyhappy352
    Options
    this is my favourite recipe of hers.. it is literally just canned peas and half a stick of butter!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/english-peas-recipe/index.html

HILARIOUS! That's like Rachael Ray's "Late Night Bacon" "recipe":

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/late-night-bacon-recipe/index.html

Paula probably didn't create all the recipes she's shown. A *few* TV-type cooks do this but very, very few. That's why when you try a lot of the recipes straight from the Food Network web site or whatever, they don't work. They're usually farmed out to pro recipe writers and rarely tested because it's often work that's not paid that well. I know from experience, both as a recipe developer and as someone who has gotten to interview and talk to many top chefs, including several of the TV/high-profile cookbook variety.

That said, I think what is getting people worked up about Paula Deen is that she isn't using the HUGE platform she has for spreading a message of prevention. Of course she never said to eat huge portions of her recipes, and any idiot would see immediately that they are not the healthiest things to eat. (I personally think they just sound revolting, and her branded packaged foods taste terrible. A particularly awful cheesy frozen seafood dip comes to mind.)

What stinks about the situation though is that she waited, reportedly, some three years to reveal her diagnosis until she had a plumd eal to make money off pharmaceuticals. She has SUCH a huge audience and such wide reach that she could be discussing the important of moderation, increased activity, whatever.

But instead, she is choosing to make a wad of cash off drugs, and the implicit message to her fans is, "Don't worry about making yourself sick through your lifestyle; here's some pricey medicine to deal with it." It's terribly sad she's skipped what could have been a great public education opportunity and instead opted for even more profit.

I agree!!
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't blame someone else's illnesses or poor choices on Paula Deen. Be responsible for yourself. HOWEVER.... I was very, very disappointed in her Today show (right show??) segment where she would barely address her poor eating choices and lack of exercise, and instead promoted her new job: a drug rep. She is a public figure (her choice) and I would have expected her to step up to the plate a little bit and perhaps gone another way (Weight Watchers?!) instead of a drug company. I KNOW she could come up with some amazing healthy recipes! So... I'm a bit disgusted with her, but I wouldn't make her recipes in any case. So it's still all about choices. She obviously has made hers. Show me the money, says Paula.
This discussion has been closed.