Paula Deen represents everything that is wrong with America

Options

Replies

• Barbaralucas
    Options
    Paula has :smile: provided us with years of great recipes, love, in her own way an unspoken friendship. Everyone loved her before she was diagnosed. Lets give her our support now while she is trying to correct her faults!!!! Are there any amoung us without fault? I think not. Shes only human!!!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Celebrity chef Paula Deen on Wednesday pledged a portion of her earnings from a lucrative endorsement deal with a diabetes drugmaker to the nonprofit American Diabetes Association.

quit bashing her
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I personally don't blame Paula for her receipes becuase like most of you already know her receipes are unhealthy. What bothers me is that as a public figure and celebrity knowingly for 3 years had diabetes and chose to continue to show and cook these receipes despite knowing the consequences of such receipes effect on the body.

She always in her shows reference personal aspects of her life and chose not to disclose ths particular one. till she partnered with a pharmaceutical company HMMM.

Don't get it twisted I still love watching how to make her receipes .That does not mean I eat them HA!
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Just makes me hungry. That lasagne looks so good haha.
  • peacefulninja
    Options
    let's bring out our favorite examples, the French. They eat butter, cream, animal fats, you name it, but they don't have anywhere near our levels of obesity and heart disease. Why? Because they eat small portions.

It isn't just the portion sizes. French people eat real foods, the same as our ancestors ate. Also, they walk a lot because it's so crowded and very few people have cars. They have markets all over the place and buy what they want to eat every day. There is no driving to a massive supermarket once a week to load up on chemically preserved junk food. Despite their consumption of wine their livers are probably healthier because they aren't working overtime trying to remove substances most of us can't pronounce, let alone understand their origins or their effect on the body.

I've read about studies in which people who consume artificial sweeteners are twice as likely to be obese as people who don't. I know it's been true for me: as soon as I started drinking Crystal Light I put on ten pounds!
  • ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I agree that for a lot of people moderation is ok. BUT when u throw diabetes into the picture it changes. U have to be mindful of carbs and sugar. Its different if she was saying cook and eat like I do every so often but maintain a healthy diabetic diet most of the time. But if a person with diabetes was to eat the that every day even with smaller portion they will most likely have health problems. And I am a nurse. I think Paula Deens food looks great. But for an occasional treat meal not as a regular meal plan.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Paula has :smile: provided us with years of great recipes, love, in her own way an unspoken friendship. Everyone loved her before she was diagnosed. Lets give her our support now while she is trying to correct her faults!!!! Are there any amoung us without fault? I think not. Shes only human!!!!

Not everyone loved her. I couldn't care less about her one way or another. I never watched her shows and her cookbooks were not appealing. Her line of cookware is too spendy for me.

I don't love her. I don't hate her. I have no opinion of her.

But it's not her fault I gained weight and it's not her fault that others might have diabetes.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    let's bring out our favorite examples, the French. They eat butter, cream, animal fats, you name it, but they don't have anywhere near our levels of obesity and heart disease. Why? Because they eat small portions.

It isn't just the portion sizes. French people eat real foods, the same as our ancestors ate. Also, they walk a lot because it's so crowded and very few people have cars. They have markets all over the place and buy what they want to eat every day. There is no driving to a massive supermarket once a week to load up on chemically preserved junk food. Despite their consumption of wine their livers are probably healthier because they aren't working overtime trying to remove substances most of us can't pronounce, let alone understand their origins or their effect on the body.

I've read about studies in which people who consume artificial sweeteners are twice as likely to be obese as people who don't. I know it's been true for me: as soon as I started drinking Crystal Light I put on ten pounds!

They also enjoy insanely long lunches during their workday and do not respond to my urgent phone calls.

*shakes fist*

I, too, wish I could be out for a long stroll and a croissant, but nooooo. 30 minute lunch break!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty bold/mean statement, Paula dean represents everything that is worng with America. Last time I checked Paul didn't support child abuse, or abuseing socail programs provided by our governmet or support domestic terrorism. She just likes butter. If you don't like her recipies don't make her food. I for one love her peach cobbler and will likely make it every summer until I can no longer stand in my own kitchen. I believe that you can eat in moderation. She can choose to cook whatever she likes and you can choose to cook whatever you like. her health is her business. Move On.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've read the first four pages of this thread (no more because it's just killing me) and what I do not understand is that no one seems to have actually READ the thread title. It says she REPRESENTS what is wrong in America, not that she, herself, is to blame.

Not being the OP, I cannot speak for his/her exact thoughts when posting this, but I can see the point. Here in America, we (using the generalized "we" - not meaning everyone) tend to overindulge CONSTANTLY. Our portions are huge. We drink sugary, caffeinated soft drinks by the gallon. Snack all during the day. Drive through to get a fix of fat and salt at a McFastFood place. We live a sedentary lifestyle. Then when we get fat, develop diabetes or have a heart attack, we drive to the nearest hospital where we expect the doctors and nurses to give us a quick fix for what we have done to ourselves for decades. We cry and we moan and we lament our "terrible family history" of this or that disease.

My husband is a heart nurse and he sees this all the time. Obese man comes in with a heart attack, has heart surgery and is in ICU where hubby takes care of him until he is able to go to a regular room and the patient's first request is either a bacon double cheeseburger or a cigarette, THEN a burger. He talks to them about smoking cessation, exercise, diet change, and most of the patients could care less and go back to their old lifestyle when they are discharged from the hospital.

If you are going to eat that way, that's fine. It's your business. But my health care dollars go to fund (through Medicaid and Medicare) "fixing" people who have diseases that are caused by their poor lifestyle choices and that does irritate me to no end. We don't want true change, we want a quick fix. A magic pill.

Regarding the French, yes they may eat a high fat diet, but they also eat much smaller portions than Americans, do not snack between meals, have a much lower intake of hydrogenated and trans fats and processed foods. They eat pretty whole foods, exercise, and drink red wine. And when the French come to American and start to EAT like a typical American, they have the same incidence of heart disease and diabetes as Americans.

What we need to do is be proactive in all areas of our life and take responsibility for ourselves, do what we know to do even if it is not convenient or easy. Not blame other people (my Mama had diabetes, too). Make the hard choices. Get up off the sofa and exercise.

What Paula Deen REPRESENTS to me is the typical American who has eaten a high fat diet, lacked exercise, and now when faced with this illness, absolves herself of all guilt and takes a pill, yet will not change what she has done before that got her into this position.
  • shanaenichole
    shanaenichole Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have never watched her show or read anything she's written until she was on NBC the other morning (I saw it by default) and I have to say. She is the most annoying person I've heard in a while. LOL She evaded the questions about diabetes being linked to unhealthy eating. She talked so slowing and then wouldn't stop...obnoxious comes to mind.

That said. I agree with the posters that say Americans (people in general actually-starts in the Bible where Adam blames it all on Eve "it's that woman you gave me...she made me do it"-and ironically that was food too!) need to take responsibility for our own choices and actions. Period. We choose what we eat and how much of it. Shame on us for blaming anyone. Is Paula Dean an ambassador for good health? Heavens no! But is it her responsibility that our diabetes rates are sky-high? Absolutely not. Educate YOURSELF and decide what you want. Generally speaking if you take care of your body it will take care of you!!!!! :)

YES, YES, YES!! I agree with all of this. You eat what you eat. No one else puts the food in your mouth. You do. That's just like suing for hot coffee. Come on, guys. You know that coffee is hot! Don't drink it! You know that food is fatty, don't cook it!
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Paula who?
  • kjgarcia
    kjgarcia Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm at work and I don't have time to read all the comments so I apologize if this has been said. I just have a couple of things....One is that we are ultimately responsible for what we do. She never claimed to be healthy or an example to follow. I'm not shocked that she is diabetic.
    I also don't think that she is using this for a "platform" so to speak. She has been up there in popularity and celebrity status for awhile, this is nothing new.
  • spa9177
    spa9177 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I never liked watching her show anyway, because of all the unhealthy food she prepares.
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've read the first four pages of this thread (no more because it's just killing me) and what I do not understand is that no one seems to have actually READ the thread title. It says she REPRESENTS what is wrong in America, not that she, herself, is to blame.

Not being the OP, I cannot speak for his/her exact thoughts when posting this, but I can see the point. Here in America, we (using the generalized "we" - not meaning everyone) tend to overindulge CONSTANTLY. Our portions are huge. We drink sugary, caffeinated soft drinks by the gallon. Snack all during the day. Drive through to get a fix of fat and salt at a McFastFood place. We live a sedentary lifestyle. Then when we get fat, develop diabetes or have a heart attack, we drive to the nearest hospital where we expect the doctors and nurses to give us a quick fix for what we have done to ourselves for decades. We cry and we moan and we lament our "terrible family history" of this or that disease.

My husband is a heart nurse and he sees this all the time. Obese man comes in with a heart attack, has heart surgery and is in ICU where hubby takes care of him until he is able to go to a regular room and the patient's first request is either a bacon double cheeseburger or a cigarette, THEN a burger. He talks to them about smoking cessation, exercise, diet change, and most of the patients could care less and go back to their old lifestyle when they are discharged from the hospital.

If you are going to eat that way, that's fine. It's your business. But my health care dollars go to fund (through Medicaid and Medicare) "fixing" people who have diseases that are caused by their poor lifestyle choices and that does irritate me to no end. We don't want true change, we want a quick fix. A magic pill.

Regarding the French, yes they may eat a high fat diet, but they also eat much smaller portions than Americans, do not snack between meals, have a much lower intake of hydrogenated and trans fats and processed foods. They eat pretty whole foods, exercise, and drink red wine. And when the French come to American and start to EAT like a typical American, they have the same incidence of heart disease and diabetes as Americans.

What we need to do is be proactive in all areas of our life and take responsibility for ourselves, do what we know to do even if it is not convenient or easy. Not blame other people (my Mama had diabetes, too). Make the hard choices. Get up off the sofa and exercise.

What Paula Deen REPRESENTS to me is the typical American who has eaten a high fat diet, lacked exercise, and now when faced with this illness, absolves herself of all guilt and takes a pill, yet will not change what she has done before that got her into this position.

Hyperbole and ridiculous generalizations.
  • abazooday727
    Options
    What's wrong with America? Blaming Paula Deen for "leading people over a cliff" really?...WTH I bet all of you have no problem letting your daughters listen to people like Brittney Spears or Lady Gaga either...SO Lady Gaga made your daughter plunge into a life as a stripper...I think not...

PEOPLE LISTEN UP!!! YOU MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICES!! Drug dealers do not make you take drugs...JUST SAY NO!!! In all cases food or otherwise. Treat your body right...I DO NOT BLAME ANYONE on me being OBESE...I had no help in driving my large self to any drive thru...I MADE MY BED and I AM FIXING IT..

It's like saying people like Jillian Micheals is responsible for people losing weight... WRONG...She gives an outlet for CHOICES...That is all...She can not make you lose wieght if you don't get your behind off the couch...really.

Enough with my rant...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

How the heck could she change the past? She could only change the future, and you can't possibly know what she will do in the future.
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    The problem is not Paula Dean or what she makes a living doing , the problem is personal responsibility . We live in a " it's somebody else's fault " society where we don't take responsibility for our own choices . We are quick to judge others but slow to recognize our own faults . Paula Dean will have to deal with the choices she has made just as many have to deal with the same issues . I agree that moderation is the key to all of the " evil" foods whether it is McDonald's or that loaded with butter recipe handed down from generation to generation . Our society has on the daily menu what used to be reserved for holidays and special occasions , killing ourselves with our wealth .
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options

How the heck could she change the past? She could only change the future, and you can't possibly know what she will do in the future.

Once again, you are not reading. I didn't say Paula Deen anything. I said what she represents.... I work in the medical industry. People come in all the time who are diagnosed with heart disease or diabetes. They do not want to change their behavior - they want a quick fix. Same with every aspect of life. We want a quick fix rather than to actually WORK to fix the problem. I would imagine that if you are on MFP and active on this board, that you are different from mainstream America - that you are working to reverse obesity or high cholesterol or diabetes or whatever. Most people in this country do not do that.
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    I'm not really interested it going into her food habits, but the title of this thread bugs me. Paula Deen is more than just butter.
    How can a single mother who raised two kids, used what she knew to feed her family and ultimately bring them out of poverty be what is wrong with America? How can a woman who helps charities, cares for and nurtures her home town, embodies the American ideal that you can make something of yourself, be what is wrong with America?
This discussion has been closed.