Weight lifting for women

Options
124»

Replies

• trudibus
    Options
    "I always reccommend Strong Lifts 5x5 to new female lifters because you can start light (just the bar) and put on muscle and strength relatively quickly without sacraficing form. "

what does Strong Lifts 5x5 mean???
  • jessie_rose24
    Options
    Ahhhh....Strong Lifts... I love this program because I think it's perfect for someone who is new to lifting to really see some good results. I have been lifting for 5 years now and every so often I will do a strength cycle based completely on the 5x5 protocol and always see a gain of some sort.

I just finished a SL cycle at the end of December and I checked my PR's over the last couple weeks.

Stats Before:
    HT: 5'8''
    WT: 191#

My PR prior to starting:
    BS: 175#
    SP: 105#
    DL: 275#
    BP: 130#
    PC: 145# (I don't really like barbell rows so I only do them for the first 2 weeks then I switch to Power Cleans, if you are unfamiliar with this exercise, I reccommend sticking with the rows)

Stats After:

HT: 5'8''
    WT: 168#

My PR after:
    BS: 245#
    SP: 140#
    DL: 325#
    BP: 165#
    PC: 180#

Please keep in mind that I have been lifting for a while, doing this program you will see gains though your first cycle might not get you to these numbers. Don't fret...your new strong body is always a work in progress!!

That being said, I think 5x5 is a great way to get into lifting, especially for women as it emphasies form and technique for the basic "big 5" lifts. You will gain strength, you will gain muscle, you will lose fat and you will feel like you are eating like a horse! However you will be using every single calorie that you put in your body and continue burning long after you have left the gym. The best advice I can give you is go on the strong lifts website, check out the videos on form, look up videos by Mark Rippetoe or Mike Burgener or Louie Simmons or Christine Beauchamp (little powerhouse female lifter) and LEARN the proper form first. They also have a super easy to use spreadsheet you can type in your start date and starting weights and they will calculate everything for you, how much you are supposed to add each workout and what to do if you plateau (meaning you can't complete the entire 5 sets of 5 at a given weight).

www.stronglifts.com

The website isn't flashy, it's just straight forward advice on lifting and how to eat to fuel the lifting. Don't let it fool you though there is tons of good information on there, especially in the community and on peoples training logs. I could spend hours there just reading about people's training. They have a pretty good following of women as well which is great for beginning female lifters. They are super nice and the support for newby lifters is amazing, just make sure you are prepared to listen to the advice the more seasoned lifters give, I'd say about 95% of them know exactly what they are talking about! You can also post videos of your form when you are first getting started (and as you continue the program, get into heavier weights) so the experienced lifters can give feedback on your lifts.

If you are still not sure you are lifting properly, you can also post form videos on Mike Burgener's or Mark Rippetoe's website and they/and their cohorts will provide ample feedback! If you are a lifter in California, Coach Burgener has a standing open invite for anyone and everyone who wants to learn to lift to stop into his gym and get some pointers!!! Man I wish I lived in CA!

Some quick pointers...

Squats- ALWAYS below parallel, best to start with high bar as low bar might be uncomfortable for new lifters and please for the love of cookies DONT USE THE SMITH MACHINE!!! It is one of the most UNNATURAL movements you can do with your body, when I see people using it I just want to cringe at what they are doing to their knees! Also you will create a gross muscle imbalance as the Smith Machine only strengthens (albeit not as much as free barbell) your major muscle groups while ignoring completely the supporting muscles. You will find that your lifts will dramatically decline if you have been Smithing it for a while then switch to loaded barbell.

Press- Please no bend in the knees to help the weight up... it's a shoulder press not a push press.

Deadlift- for the love of your vertebre, make sure you learn how to BREATHE properly before you attempt any big weight, look up valsalva breathing and learn the proper stance. Please don't make this lift complicated...it's one of the most simple and functional lifts you will be exposed to (we all pick up things off the floor right). You will put more weight on this lift faster than any of the other ones because it truely is a whole body lift (FYI it used to be called the Body Lift before it was called the Dead Lift, some random info for you). It taxes the most muscles and puts the greatest strain on your neuromuscular system so that's why even the stronglifts calls for only 1X5 of the DL instead of 5X5.

Bench- Yes there is a right way to Bench, watch videos by the people above, not some random dude on You Tube...chances are they are doing it wrong.

Barbell Row- core tight, core tight, core tight, oh and did i mention, core tight! Please don't be that person who is rounding your back (upper or lower) just so you can pull up that extra 5#, trust me, keep core tight and back rigid...you'll thank me later.

Power Clean- again I will stress not to attempt this movement unless you are familiar with it, or have exposure to olympic lifting. The goal of the 5x5 is to get stronger not hurt yourself.

Lifting in general- please learn the abbreviations for the lifts and the different forms of each one and what muscles they use:
    For example:
    Squat: The squat always means the Back Squat unless otherwise noted by the addition of "Front" or "Overhead" infront of the word Squat. For the 5x5 you will be back squatting (unless you want to front squat, in which case learn how to do it properly and only do it as an accessory movement on non 5X5 days). There is also the high bar and the low bar squat, which indicates the position of the bar on your back. Most people are more comfortable with High bar, which requires strict ab engagement during the entire lift. Low bar takes a little more practice, elbow and shoulder flexibility and stance adjustment (at least for me, it might be easier for you), but allows you to essentially shorten the distance the weight moves by having it lower on your back. Having it lower on your back you are able to move more weight in a (some would say) efficient manner. Do research on both ways and try them both...you might find one is more comfortable for you.

As you can see there are alot of nuances to just one simple lift....LEARN YOUR LIFTS!!!

The best way to get started is to research first, spend some time lurking on the strong lifts boards, catalyst athletics has great lifting resources and if possible go to a gym that has a coach that is trained to TEACH power/olympic lifts, just because a trainer "does" the lifts doesn't make them qualified to TEACH the lifts to an inexperienced or new lifter.

Start slow, learn the way your body feels when you have correct form and how it feels when you are doing something incorrectly. YOU WILL BE SORE, you need to rest on off days after about week 4 or 5 but can still do something like rowing or light calisthenics. You will eat more food than you ever thought possible, yet if you choose the right kinds of food, your body will transform. Your waist will thin out, you will get an *kitten*, thick legs and a strong back...good luck finding jeans :) ( Can you say GAP)

Most important of all...STICK WITH THE PROGRAM...do it as is, start low...the empty bar might feel to light so you might be tempted to pile on more weight... DONT DO IT! There is an app on the iphone that will track your SL workouts...when I do a cycle I always start with an empty bar because even though I know I can do more, it allows me time to reinforce the correct movements and build to a greater max load.

If anyone has any questions about the program, please ask, I will do what I can to help get you started. I am by no means an expert, but I can try to answer alot of the questions beginners ask ( I was there once too)! Good Luck and get strong!!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get into weight lifting but not sure what I should be doing...reps...etc....does anyone have a routine they follow...
    and would like to share??? I have been doing a little mostly bicep curls...not even sure what equipment to be using...I do have access to the gym...hope you can help

If you go to a gym most of them have a demo training session or you can buy a single session. I would suggest you do that and tell the trainer what you are wanting to accomplish so he or she can tell you how and when to work which muscles. They will also show you proper form so you dont hurt yourself. Good Luck
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

And whatever you do, don't listen to anyone who says high reps/light weights...it'll get you nowhere

Here's another vote for New Rules of Lifting for Women!! You can check it out from the library if you want to learn more before you commit. Also, there is a group here on MFP as well. Good luck, whatever you decide!
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    ****erman....HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    jUst bump to find later
  • petalrose
    petalrose Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    need to bump for later as well
  • sharew88
    sharew88 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and hard! Newest research is showing that females that are doing this are getting better results than those that are doing endless reps and sets with light weights.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I too just started reading New Rules of Lifting for Women. I have a broken ankle ATM, but I am going to give this a shot as soon as I get clearance from the doc! I have no muscles. I used to lift, and did what conventional wisdom suggested at the time. I had pretty biceps and nice shoulders, but after a short while, found that I wasn't doing much improving, and stopped doing anything. Rather self-defeating huh? So at nearly 60, I have decided to get back to lifting. I really loved it while I was doing it!
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

I saw this web sight on here a few days ago, maybe it would help!

Also, exerciseTV.com may have some info on how to start. I get this through cable and love some of the routines. The guy I like the most is Roger ****erman.

Good luck!

Thank you. This is exactly what I have been looking for and could never find! :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I love Body Pump and Body Combat. I get my weight training with Body Pump and my cardio with Body Combat and it is so addicting. Not going to a class never crosses my mind. The music is great, the atmosphere is awesome and you see results. The only issue I have is figuring out how to input body pump and body combat into my exercise tracker...lol
    Body pump is more muscle endurance paced weight lifting. While it helps to achieve getting over the fear of weight lifting, the endless reps do little to "harden up" muscle the way a heavy lifting program does it. And though I don't really like to do it, I will on occasion if an instructor needs it bad enough, sub a Bodypump class.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Jessie Rose- that post was awesome. I researched this a few weeks ago, read lots of posts on this forum and others. I told my husband about stronglifts 5x5 and we are planning on starting it next week (after our half marathon is done! wohoo)
    I am so nervous about it, though. We are going to get Rippletoe's (sp?) book because it apparently has great reviews and teaches form very well.
    But I am nervous, we go to Planet fitness and we do have the equipment there, but I know its not the ideal gym for this..
  • jessie_rose24
    Options
    ktbia

I am glad you are getting into this and good luck on your half marathon! SL is a great beginner's program and Mark Rippetoe's books are a great place to start for form. Also he has alot of videos and will personally respond with form critiques when you post them on his website forum...free coaching from one of the best, can't beat that. Also pay the $$ to get access to the Strong Lifts Inner Circle, it's full of serious lifters and people who know what they are talking about and not alot of riff raff. You can post videos on your form and see what they say as well. Catalyst Athletics has some good videos on form...and Again Faster has videos too but I am not sure if those are more crossfir related and don't cover the big lifts. There are tons of videos out there, make sure you know who is teaching you. Lon Kilgore, Christine Beauchamp, Mark Rippetoe, Greg Everett, Mike Burgener, Louis Simmons, all are people who's videos can teach you alot, they have good cues for beginning lifters to remember that aren't complicated or confusing.

And as long as planet fitness has a squat rack (please don't use the smith machine) which will probably be tucked away in the corner somewhere, and a barbell and some weights, that's all you need. Nothing fancy and nothing crazy! As you get heavier in the weight, just make sure you are solid in your form before you go up and use the safety bars if you are getting to a weight that's a struggle...that way if you have to dump it, you wont make a huge commotion and the trainers wont come over and yell at you :) Gyms like planet fitness don't like loud noises!!

Make sure you use the 5x5 spread sheet to calculate your loads for the program and read the 5x5 Report before you get started so you know what to expect and what to do if you stall etc. If you have any questions feel free to inbox me and I will try to answer them as best as I can. Don't be nervous though, sure some people are going to tell you your squatting too low (remember break parallell) and you are going to hurt your knees and yada yada yada...but just keep on keepin on...squat with the correct mechanics, booty back to go down and hip drive up....and you will be just fine! Form is king, the load will come, just eat right (alot) and have patience!

Good Luck and get strong!
  • BelovedSOZO
    BelovedSOZO Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am new to this. What's 5x5 strong lifting? Is Ribbletoes a good beginner wt lifting book?
  • SaraLosingIt
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

This was going to be my suggestion too. I haven't no completed the program myself but I have heard many wonderful things about it.
  • msue482
    msue482 Posts: 55
    Options
    I'll have to look into the Strong Lifts site! My husband and I are currently doing the conjugate method for powerlifting. Also, check out Wendler's 5-3-1. This is another way to get strong quickly. If you are a beginner, I highly suggest you look into a good powerlifing or olympic lifting gym with a trainer who knows what he or she is doing. I also suggest trying out a Crossfit gym, but beware that some of them do not consider form as much as others. No offense to Crossfit, but I have seem some terrible form and it's scary.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Lots of great info.
  • southofpleasant
    southofpleasant Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bumpy