LADIES: GYM ATTIRE; OPINION POLL

Options

Replies

• Johnny_Castle
    Options
    But if you're dressed like that me and every other straight guy at the gym will notice you and look. I know you won't be offended if I look but I wouldn't care if you were. I actually welcome girls like this at the gym because they provide great entertainment during my long and boring workouts.

Wow. Just....wow.

I don't understand. What exactly is wrong with that? If you saw a very attractive guy at the gym would you not look? and would it be wrong for you to look at him?
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    But if you're dressed like that me and every other straight guy at the gym will notice you and look. I know you won't be offended if I look but I wouldn't care if you were. I actually welcome girls like this at the gym because they provide great entertainment during my long and boring workouts.

Wow. Just....wow.

I don't understand. What exactly is wrong with that? If you saw a very attractive guy at the gym would you not look? and would it be wrong for you to look at him?

"provide great entertainment " I do not view men as sexual objects to 'entertain me' at the gym, I view them as other human beings who are there to work out.

"I look but I wouldn't care if you were [offended]" If a man didn't want me looking at him in the gym, and made it clear, I'd respect his right to workout in private.

There is a difference in maybe checking a cute girl in a cute outfit out a couple of times, and STARING at them. The offensive part is that you indicated you view women as a pretty objects for you to look at - perhaps some women dress to be looked at, but it is rude and chauvinistic and really a little bit rapey for you to assume that all girls dressed revealingly are doing it solely because they want men to look.

It's reminiscent of people that blame rape victims for dressing revealingly.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I have a bit of a disconnect when it comes to what people consider provocative. I was just talking to my trainer friend at the gym and stretching, no make up, big bruins t shirt, and soccer shorts...

Later we talked and he mentioned how provocative I was being. I was completely clueless and had NO intentions. I was even using the foam roller! Sometimes the awareness just isn't there...it isn't about getting attention
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Wow. Just....wow.

"provide great entertainment " I do not view men as sexual objects to 'entertain me' at the gym, I view them as other human beings who are there to work out.

"I look but I wouldn't care if you were [offended]" If a man didn't want me looking at him in the gym, and made it clear, I'd respect his right to workout in private.

There is a difference in maybe checking a cute girl in a cute outfit out a couple of times, and STARING at them. The offensive part is that you indicated you view women as a pretty objects for you to look at - perhaps some women dress to be looked at, but it is rude and chauvinistic and really a little bit rapey for you to assume that all girls dressed revealingly are doing it solely because they want men to look.

I think you're reading too much into what Johnny wrote. He didn't say he'd STARE and then stalk the girl home. As you yourself stated, it's normal to steal a look here and there. It's a bit unfair to call what he wrote "rapey". I'm sure not ALL women who dress revealingly do it because they want to be looked at. But I know when I'm in yoga pants, it certainly doesn't surprise me if someone does look. And it would be weird for me to be offended just because someone looked at me.
  • Johnny_Castle
    Options

Wow. Just....wow.

I don't know why you thought I stare at girls at the gym lool of course I don't stare. It would be REALLY WEIRD if I did and I wouldn't get any work done...

I also said in the next sentence that most guys don't have the balls to talk to them. This shows that I'm encouraging guys NOT TO view the girls as objects and actually go and connect with them as human beings.

And I don't know how you can compare checking out a girl to rape. Rape is 1000000000% wrong and any person that does it needs to be put in jail for life. Checking people out is okay and healthy and everyone does it.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    Options

Wow. Just....wow.

I think you're reading too much into what Johnny wrote. He didn't say he'd STARE and then stalk the girl home. As you yourself stated, it's normal to steal a look here and there. It's a bit unfair to call what he wrote "rapey". I'm sure not ALL women who dress revealingly do it because they want to be looked at. But I know when I'm in yoga pants, it certainly doesn't surprise me if someone does look. And it would be weird for me to be offended just because someone looked at me.

"I actually welcome girls like this at the gym because they provide great entertainment during my long and boring workouts. " It was that bit that offended me/creeped me out. And yes he is suggesting all girls that dress like that do it for his personal enjoyment. Which is bs, and also offensive. And yeah, a bit rapey.
  • Johnny_Castle
    Options

Wow. Just....wow.

Thank you Servilia...you pretty much wrote my reply before I did :D
  • servilia
    Options

Wow. Just....wow.

"I actually welcome girls like this at the gym because they provide great entertainment during my long and boring workouts. " It was that bit that offended me/creeped me out. And yes he is suggesting all girls that dress like that do it for his personal enjoyment. Which is bs, and also offensive. And yeah, a bit rapey.

We can call it "entertainment" or any other number of words, but it's a fact of life that straight men find it enjoyable to look at women whom they find good looking. Just a fact of life and nothing to be upset about really.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Because they want the attention and then act like they don't want the attention because they don't want to come off as attention *kitten*.

This. Exactly. Amen.
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    do you mean the girls who prance around the gym and not do anything? lol

OMG this drives me nuts!!!
  • sexforjaffacakes
    Options
    We can call it "entertainment" or any other number of words, but it's a fact of life that straight men find it enjoyable to look at women whom they find good looking. Just a fact of life and nothing to be upset about really.

There's a difference between being entertained by looking at women, and thinking that women are there solely for your entertainment. The problem with this thread is it's accusing women of dressing revealingly so that men will look at them. Women do not (always) dress like slags to provide men with entertainment, and it is completely offensive and chauvinistic to suggest that they do.
  • kuunsilta
    kuunsilta Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If I wasn't terribly self conscious, I'd go to the gym and wear what I would wear at home - sports bra and yoga pants. Just because if I even try wearing a top while working out , I just get way too hot. So thank goodness I can't afford the gym haha
  • servilia
    Options

There's a difference between being entertained by looking at women, and thinking that women are there solely for your entertainment. The problem with this thread is it's accusing women of dressing revealingly so that men will look at them. Women do not (always) dress like slags to provide men with entertainment, and it is completely offensive and chauvinistic to suggest that they do.

ok I can agree with that. I too find it offensive if someone assumes a woman dresses like that with the intention of getting attention. What I DON'T find offensive is when they actually get attention as long as it is not creepy (looking , not staring).
  • Johnny_Castle
    Options

you seem to love to do this so study up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

It seems you enjoy taking somebody's words and spinning and interpreting them so out of proportional to make them seem like they are misogynistic rapists.
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I get stared at when at the gym working out, that's because I look like a cardiac patient! I hate working out next to some female with barely a stitch on, full on make up and a gallon of perfume. It's not the pub honey, go away.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    Options

ok I can agree with that. I too find it offensive if someone assumes a woman dresses like that with the intention of getting attention. What I DON'T find offensive is when they actually get attention as long as it is not creepy (looking , not staring).

I'm fine with men occasionally looking, jesus I probably check out plenty of guys that would probably be horrified at the idea of doin stuff with me, but the OP, the above poster and actually quite a lot of people on this thread is that they assume women dress like this for mens entertainment. And also that the OP was complaining that women dress "sluttily" then being unhappy with attention. A women has every right to reject attention no matter how she is dressed.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    Options

you seem to love to do this so study up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

It seems you enjoy taking somebody's words and spinning and interpreting them so out of proportional to make them seem like they are misogynistic rapists.

You said all the words sweetheart, I just copied and pasted ;]
  • zanie13
    zanie13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I read something on Pinterest once. It said, "If you look good after doing it, you're not doing it right!" Putting makeup on before going to the gym is just an invitation for raccoon eyes and bad skin from make/sweat clogging your pores!
  • sexforjaffacakes
    Options
    I read something on Pinterest once. It said, "If you look good after doing it, you're not doing it right!" Putting makeup on before going to the gym is just an invitation for raccoon eyes and bad skin from make/sweat clogging your pores!
    The OP wasn't talking about make up, he was talking about women wearing "revealing" clothes - of course, revealing clothes are often the most practical in the gym
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Those tight and sometimes revealing clothes that some ladies choose to wear to the gym were actually made for working out in. This means that they wick the sweat off our hard working bodies to help us keep cool which means we can actually work out in more comfort and for a longer period of time. These specially made workout clothes also help us out so we don't stink like the hot sweaty men that are ogling over us :)

Now with that being said.. I don't work out at the gym anymore (thank God I got a treadmill in the garage now) and when I did I chose to wear the non-*kitten* showing shorts and the nicely fit top that did cover my tummy but if a girl is more comfortable in something more revealing then good for her.. I think though that the comfort level needs to be on all levels.. not just "oh I feel okay when I'm wearing this working out" but also "I'm comfortable with the attention that I'm getting while I wear these clothes.."

As to why the girls are rude to you? Maybe you're just creepy. Maybe she's just a *****. You choose.