Can't even walk

Options

Replies

• trudyfilbert
    Options
    I'm with you.........I couldn't run to keep myself or my dog safe. I understand your feelings!
  • burgenah
    Options
    I agree with most of the posts in this thread. It's not the breed, it's the un-attended dog. I have two dogs and they are mean as hell to other dogs, therefore, they are NEVER u- attended or off leash ( I learned this the hard way). You have to educate yourself on the breed, it a very small amount of these dogs that the media makes out to be monsters. Just like a retriever that you cannot reverse a bred instinct (retrieving) or a herding dog (try and get a sheep dog not to "herd" its human brothers and sisters) I was told that with my bully I can't take out the "fighting/bull baiting" Instinct, I have to understand it, and I have the tools to use to control him.
    As for the dog that scared you, carry pepper spray or water. Anything that will protect you. Drive by in your car several times and see if it is still loose, get an address, report it. If it's a dog protecting its territory it’s a bite waiting to happen the owner (if there is one) needs to be cited. Just my .02cents.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I am very pro-pitbull, but I also am totally aware that they have been bred for generations to fight other dogs. I walk my three dogs and if I were to come across a PB, I would just about have a heart attack, too. Any offleash dog makes me very nervous, but pits are powerful dogs who can do a lot of damage if they do attack my dogs. Plus two of my dogs are marshmallows and the one who is protective is 11 years old, so they'd never stand a chance if they were attacked.

Having said all that, my next door neighbor's DIL has a pit who is a wonderful dog. I love her to death. She's very sweet. But I would not have my dogs out in the yard with her. It's just common sense and any long term pit owner will tell you that you have to be cautious about DA in pits. Normally if it's going to develop, it will happen between 18 and 24 months of age.
    Thank You!
    I am a dog lover. I have always had a dog, many different breeds.
    I know what these dogs are capable of. Last summer right outback of my house a woman my age was walking her dog when a pitbull who lives in a house out back from me, pushed open the gate and grabbed the womans dog by the neck and would not let go.
    Everyone was screaming and yelling but no one would go near the thing for fear it would attack them too. The poor woman was terrified. I tried to get her come into my yard but she would not let go of her beloved dog. It was a large dog, collie and lab mix. One of the neighbors ran to the owners house and one of her kids came out and called the dog like it was nothing. Finally the dog let go and walked away. The poor woman was traumatized. The dog got over 50 stiches. The pitbulls owner never came out to see if either of them were ok.
    I seen with my own eyes what these dogs can do. Just because it doesn't hurt anyone in your family, doesn't mean they are a safe breed. You will never convince me and I will always be affraid of them.

Just because it's a Pitbull doesn't mean it's vicious. You can train your Husky to do the exact same thing.
    I wish! My girl would only want to lick you to death.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you weren't attacking pit bulls, you just simply stated that that particular time it was a pit and followed up with being afraid of someone getting mauled by a DOG and not just a pit bull. The best thing you can do is get a CPL (concealed pistol license), if that dog comes at you aggressively you put a bullet in it's head, I know, I've had to do it. Also, by having a CPL and using it for your own protection, you cannot get fined for shooting within city limits, again, I know from personal experience. I've had to shoot 3 dogs, and Akita, a German Shepherd, and a Pit Bull. I firmly believe that the actions of a dog are either the owners fault or sometimes your own. I'm not trigger happy by any means, but I believe that everyone has the right to defend themselves. Especially in your case. I wish you the best of luck.

Oh, good on you! You've shot three dogs. You know, you could protect yourself exactly the same with a bottle of pepper spray, and oh wait! The dog could still live.

Actually no, they wouldn't. When I was bitten by all three dogs that gave them a permanent death sentence not only with my gun but with the State of Michigan.

If you had pepper spray, you could spray before they even have a chance of attacking.
    But you keep feeling powerful while you're killing animals.
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options
    I am very pro-pitbull, but I also am totally aware that they have been bred for generations to fight other dogs. I walk my three dogs and if I were to come across a PB, I would just about have a heart attack, too. Any offleash dog makes me very nervous, but pits are powerful dogs who can do a lot of damage if they do attack my dogs. Plus two of my dogs are marshmallows and the one who is protective is 11 years old, so they'd never stand a chance if they were attacked.

Having said all that, my next door neighbor's DIL has a pit who is a wonderful dog. I love her to death. She's very sweet. But I would not have my dogs out in the yard with her. It's just common sense and any long term pit owner will tell you that you have to be cautious about DA in pits. Normally if it's going to develop, it will happen between 18 and 24 months of age.
    Thank You!
    I am a dog lover. I have always had a dog, many different breeds.
    I know what these dogs are capable of. Last summer right outback of my house a woman my age was walking her dog when a pitbull who lives in a house out back from me, pushed open the gate and grabbed the womans dog by the neck and would not let go.
    Everyone was screaming and yelling but no one would go near the thing for fear it would attack them too. The poor woman was terrified. I tried to get her come into my yard but she would not let go of her beloved dog. It was a large dog, collie and lab mix. One of the neighbors ran to the owners house and one of her kids came out and called the dog like it was nothing. Finally the dog let go and walked away. The poor woman was traumatized. The dog got over 50 stiches. The pitbulls owner never came out to see if either of them were ok.
    I seen with my own eyes what these dogs can do. Just because it doesn't hurt anyone in your family, doesn't mean they are a safe breed. You will never convince me and I will always be affraid of them.

Just because it's a Pitbull doesn't mean it's vicious. You can train your Husky to do the exact same thing.
    I wish! My girl would only want to lick you to death.

Because you trained her that way. You could have just as easily trained her to be an attack dog. As with any breed.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    I noticed that you weren't attacking pit bulls, you just simply stated that that particular time it was a pit and followed up with being afraid of someone getting mauled by a DOG and not just a pit bull. The best thing you can do is get a CPL (concealed pistol license), if that dog comes at you aggressively you put a bullet in it's head, I know, I've had to do it. Also, by having a CPL and using it for your own protection, you cannot get fined for shooting within city limits, again, I know from personal experience. I've had to shoot 3 dogs, and Akita, a German Shepherd, and a Pit Bull. I firmly believe that the actions of a dog are either the owners fault or sometimes your own. I'm not trigger happy by any means, but I believe that everyone has the right to defend themselves. Especially in your case. I wish you the best of luck.

Oh, good on you! You've shot three dogs. You know, you could protect yourself exactly the same with a bottle of pepper spray, and oh wait! The dog could still live.

Actually no, they wouldn't. When I was bitten by all three dogs that gave them a permanent death sentence not only with my gun but with the State of Michigan.

If you had pepper spray, you could spray before they even have a chance of attacking.

I know I'm kinda jumping in this conversation, but there's no reason to be feisty. I am an ANIMAL lover, not just dogs. We don't know the scenario that she faced when she had to shoot the dogs. Should she have let the Akita gnaw the hell out of her face? Let's say she did carry pepper spray, but the dog then attacked someone else in the same time period. If you have advice, keep it friendly and not nit pick on other people's lifestyle choices.
  • burgenah
    Options
    The best thing you can do is get a CPL (concealed pistol license), if that dog comes at you aggressively you put a bullet in it's head, I know, I've had to do it. Also, by having a CPL and using it for your own protection, you cannot get fined for shooting within city limits, again, I know from personal experience. I've had to shoot 3 dogs

Carrying a concealed weapon is not something that should be taken lightly. It requires constant training, a real purpose and the ability to use it in ANY situation. You have to ask yourself if your up to the task. I would consider a less permanent means. I' all for the right to bear arms, but there are other ways of dealing with a dog. Just saying.
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options

I know I'm kinda jumping in this conversation, but there's no reason to be feisty. I am an ANIMAL lover, not just dogs. We don't know the scenario that she faced when she had to shoot the dogs. Should she have let the Akita gnaw the hell out of her face? Let's say she did carry pepper spray, but the dog then attacked someone else in the same time period. If you have advice, keep it friendly and not nit pick on other people's lifestyle choices.

Chelley, I'm not saying she wasn't in a terrible or life threatening scenario, it's the way in which she's saying it. It's almost as if she's saying, "Hey, screw any other form of protection, let's just shoot the dogs."
  • Spinelli2288
    Spinelli2288 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Then what? Let it attack another person, or god forbid a child? Or do you think the aggressive dog would have a change of heart and decide not to try and attack a person ever again? Think about it a little bit. The reason I got bit by all three is because I tried to talk them down, if I would of had my pistol drawn like I should have I wouldn't have been bitten by any of them. The first scar should have been a reminder when I tried to talk down the German Shepherd, but no, I thought I could help it. Just like I saved my Dingo who I was able to rehabilitate that was used in dog fights.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    I am sorry about not being able to walk but I also hate that the story has to include a pit bull. They are the most loving wondeful dogs in the world. It is the owners that make them mean not the dog. My daughter has a pit bull and she is the sweetest dog. Her heart is so big and she just can't make you happy enough. She lives with 2 cats and at least 2 ferrets and loves those other animals.

I know your topic wasn't exactly pit bulls but they get a bad wrap and I wanted to put in a few words on their behalf. Any dog can be vicious if it is raised that way. Even small dog bites hurt and can do damage. It is ashame that pit bulls get the bad publicity all the itme.
  • dls06
    Options

Thank you very much for this. I have been trying to get people to understand this for a while. Actually, in the 1800s Pitbulls were used as nanny dogs. They were left to watch over the children if the parents had to step out for a bit as they were very trusted, well mannered, and loving dogs.

It's the stupid owners that need to be killed. Any dog as the potential to be aggressive, it's all in the training.

Exactly, and it sucks when people want to be racist towards dogs and run home crying when technically their dog is just as "vicious" I mean come on I could be like those blue eyed huskies scare the carp out of me and they are mean and vicious but no I dont care, a dog is a dog and depnding on the owner is how they will act...

I hate to bash but the original poster didnt know if the dog was vicious, she assumed it. Thats like when I walk my bf's dogs and people cross the street its like really, you're afraid of her she'll lick you to death if anything...

They are the most loving and loyal dogs, and if you have never owned one, know one, or have met one please dont judge by what you hear in the news - I was bit by a golden retriver but you dont see me running around bashing them...
    I am almost 60 years old. I have had a dog my whole life.
    When a dog crouches down and assumes an attack mode I know it. When I posted this I was not attacking any one breed, I was simply telling a story and venting that I can't even go for a walk. You turned it into something more.
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    2011 statistics

31 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2011. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 650 U.S. cities, pit bulls led these attacks accounting for 71% (22). Pit bulls make up less than 5% of the total U.S. dog population.

Notably in 2011, adult victims of fatal pit bull attacks more than doubled the number of child victims. Of the 22 total pit bull victims, 68% (15) fell between the ages of 32 to 76, and 32% (7) were ages 5 years and younger.

The year 2011 also marks an increase in pet pit bulls killing their owners. Of the 8 total instances this year in which a family dog inflicted fatal injury to its primary caretaker, the dog's owner, 88% (7) involved pet pit bulls.

Together, pit bulls (22) and rottweilers (4), the number two lethal dog breed, accounted for 84% of all fatal attacks in 2011. In the 7-year period from 2005 to 2011, this same combination accounted for 73% (156) of the total recorded deaths (213).

The breakdown between pit bulls and rottweilers is substantial over this 7-year period. From 2005 to 2011, pit bulls killed 127 Americans,3 about one citizen every 20 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 29; about one citizen every 88 days.

Annual data from 2011 shows that 58% (18) of the attacks occurred to adults (21 years and older) and 42% (13) occurred to children (11 years and younger). Of the children, 62% (8) occurred to ages 1 and younger.

2011 data also shows that 39% (12) of the fatal incidents involved more than one dog; 26% (8) involved breeding on the dog owner's property either actively or in the recent past, and 6% (2) involved tethered dogs, down from 9% in 2010 and 19% in 2009.

Dog ownership information for 2011 shows that family dogs comprised 65% (20) of the attacks that resulted in death; 74% (23) of all incidents occurred on the dog owner's property and 29% (9) resulted in criminal charges, up from 15% in 2010.

The states of California and Texas led fatalities in 2011, each with 4 deaths; pit bulls and their mixes contributed to 88% (7) of the 8 deaths. North Carolina, New Mexico, South Carolina and Virginia each incurred 2 deaths.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

Americans and their f'king guns. :grumble:
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I live in Memphis, thus the username, and it's big. We have plenty of dogs roaming freely, and there's this white pitbull that hangs around but it's harmless, so are the other huge mutts. it depends on if they had an owner b/c pits aren't naturally vicious, they learn it
  • bluesmokeybars
    Options
    So, let me get this straight....all of you who are claiming that it is "racist" to say that pit bulls can display dog agressive behaviors at or around the age of three are denying this fact? This is why we are having all of the problems that we do with breed bans and such. Please educate yourselves on all breeds and the natural tendencies that they are born with before owning any breed or mixed breed of dog....oh, and please adopt instead of buy. There are so many wonderful pets dying every day in our shelters and pounds, including beautiful pit bulls.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options

Chelley, I'm not saying she wasn't in a terrible or life threatening scenario, it's the way in which she's saying it. It's almost as if she's saying, "Hey, screw any other form of protection, let's just shoot the dogs."

I know, I was right there with you. At the same time, it's the internet and things are left out and/or misread. I like to read everyone's text in Morgan Freeman's voice and no one really has attitude >_> Anyway, I am totally against animal cruelty; however, if a dog (or any animal) is feral and/or has a taste for human blood, they need to be put down. (Just my opinion)

Back to OP, I would take the advice of carrying pepper spray around you. You should have it on you anyway <3
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options
    So, let me get this straight....all of you who are claiming that it is "racist" to say that pit bulls can display dog agressive behaviors at or around the age of three are denying this fact? This is why we are having all of the problems that we do with breed bans and such. Please educate yourselves on all breeds and the natural tendencies that they are born with before owning any breed or mixed breed of dog....oh, and please adopt instead of buy. There are so many wonderful pets dying every day in our shelters and pounds, including beautiful pit bulls.

No one is denying the fact that sure, pits can be aggressive IF trained to be aggressive. As can ANY FREAKING DOG.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options

No one is denying the fact that sure, pits can be aggressive IF trained to be aggressive. As can ANY FREAKING DOG.

I've known some pretty gangster chihuahuas in my life.
  • dls06
    Options
    2011 statistics

31 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2011. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 650 U.S. cities, pit bulls led these attacks accounting for 71% (22). Pit bulls make up less than 5% of the total U.S. dog population.

Notably in 2011, adult victims of fatal pit bull attacks more than doubled the number of child victims. Of the 22 total pit bull victims, 68% (15) fell between the ages of 32 to 76, and 32% (7) were ages 5 years and younger.

The year 2011 also marks an increase in pet pit bulls killing their owners. Of the 8 total instances this year in which a family dog inflicted fatal injury to its primary caretaker, the dog's owner, 88% (7) involved pet pit bulls.

Together, pit bulls (22) and rottweilers (4), the number two lethal dog breed, accounted for 84% of all fatal attacks in 2011. In the 7-year period from 2005 to 2011, this same combination accounted for 73% (156) of the total recorded deaths (213).

The breakdown between pit bulls and rottweilers is substantial over this 7-year period. From 2005 to 2011, pit bulls killed 127 Americans,3 about one citizen every 20 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 29; about one citizen every 88 days.

Annual data from 2011 shows that 58% (18) of the attacks occurred to adults (21 years and older) and 42% (13) occurred to children (11 years and younger). Of the children, 62% (8) occurred to ages 1 and younger.

2011 data also shows that 39% (12) of the fatal incidents involved more than one dog; 26% (8) involved breeding on the dog owner's property either actively or in the recent past, and 6% (2) involved tethered dogs, down from 9% in 2010 and 19% in 2009.

Dog ownership information for 2011 shows that family dogs comprised 65% (20) of the attacks that resulted in death; 74% (23) of all incidents occurred on the dog owner's property and 29% (9) resulted in criminal charges, up from 15% in 2010.

The states of California and Texas led fatalities in 2011, each with 4 deaths; pit bulls and their mixes contributed to 88% (7) of the 8 deaths. North Carolina, New Mexico, South Carolina and Virginia each incurred 2 deaths.
    Hope all those people who think their dogs are so sweet, close their childrens bedroom doors when they go to bed at night.
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options

Thank you very much for this. I have been trying to get people to understand this for a while. Actually, in the 1800s Pitbulls were used as nanny dogs. They were left to watch over the children if the parents had to step out for a bit as they were very trusted, well mannered, and loving dogs.

It's the stupid owners that need to be killed. Any dog as the potential to be aggressive, it's all in the training.

Exactly, and it sucks when people want to be racist towards dogs and run home crying when technically their dog is just as "vicious" I mean come on I could be like those blue eyed huskies scare the carp out of me and they are mean and vicious but no I dont care, a dog is a dog and depnding on the owner is how they will act...

I hate to bash but the original poster didnt know if the dog was vicious, she assumed it. Thats like when I walk my bf's dogs and people cross the street its like really, you're afraid of her she'll lick you to death if anything...

They are the most loving and loyal dogs, and if you have never owned one, know one, or have met one please dont judge by what you hear in the news - I was bit by a golden retriver but you dont see me running around bashing them...
    I am almost 60 years old. I have had a dog my whole life.
    When a dog crouches down and assumes an attack mode I know it. When I posted this I was not attacking any one breed, I was simply telling a story and venting that I can't even go for a walk. You turned it into something more.

Threads never stay on topic for long.