Excersing with a desk job.

Options
13»

Replies

• Anabannana07
    Anabannana07 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I try to go for a brisk walk on my lunch and simply eat at my desk. I'm fortunate enough to have a Gym about 15-20 brisk-walking-minutes from my building so my lunch workout consists of around 20 minutes of weights (don't wanna sweat too much) and around half hour of walking there and back.
    Sneaking in mini work-outs at work sounds like a great idea if that's available to you. I see that someone on this thread was confused and didn't know you could still exercise after work if you've also been sneaking in little work-outs at the office.

I Guess I should have mentioned that since the beginning right? LOL to avoid confusion. So far I have lost 10lbs since I started exercing regularly (5weeks ago) and these mini exercises will help me reach my goal.
  • Anabannana07
    Anabannana07 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We seem to be getting a lot of these 'I have a desk job' posts recently. Several thoughts on this -

1 - join a gym and work out before or after work
    2 - invest in some exercise DVD's and work out before and after work
    3 - use your lunch hour to walk or hit up a near by gym
    4 - walk or run before or after work
    5 - high rise stair climbing if you have access to it

^^ all of these above would be sustainable and adequate exercise routine

That being said - I am also someone who loves to get up and MOVE through out the day to get the blood and circulation flowing. I'm sure many of us have sat at a desk so long that your butt is numb. So I use little opportunities like a bathroom break or walk to the printer to get things moving again. This in no way is a substitute for a genuine exercise program. And I'm sure the OP did not mean it like that.

Nope I did NOT mean for anyone to use these mini exercises as a substitution and neither do I as I still excersise regularly. Just an ad on to your regular rutine.
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Even the exercise gurus will suggest that if you work a desk job that getting up and walking around even for a little bit is good for you. It helps to keep you focused and keeps you from getting bored.

Maybe we should have a little less snarkiness and a little more support. Nobody ever said the OP stated that she never exercised.
    Personally, I work in a hospital and some of my nursing friends and I take a walk on our breaks to get some fresh air and exercise. Heck, we just came in from a walk and it was 7 degrees outside AND I am working out at home after work. Every little bit helps.

Keep it up Anna!!!! You're doing great!
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,629 Member
    Options
    I understand a good workout not at work is what we strive for, but sometimes life just doesn't always work that way for some of us. I fit in extra movement where I can during the day at work. Take the stairs two at a time, pace, squats, push ups, belly crunches ( you can do them standing), twists, glute squeezes, even manage a jumping jack or two here or there. I figure I feel better if I keep the blood circulating and it burns calories. I believe you fit in extra movement where you can, and work up to the rest. If I exercise at night, I can't sleep and it is too soon after dinner anyway. Some mornings are just not conducive for exercising (ie it snowed and I am in a plow truck). You do what you can, for you, even dancing in the bathroom while getting ready for work. EVERY little bit counts. Eventually I will probably get to a routine with exercising, but in the meantime I am going to fit in extras where I can.
  • Shaigirl79
    Shaigirl79 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am on this great program where i do my job while I'm at work, and then after i go exercise on my own time.

I like your goal to get fit, but it seems like you are try too hard. Set some time to exercise, get mentally and physically ready, it will help so much more than running in place in a bathroom stall.

I, too, have a desk job. And if I don't physically make myself get up every now and then, I find that more often than not... I spend eight hours sitting on my butt! Definitely not helpful when you're trying to lose weight! Do I think people should break out a full work out at work? Of course not, but every little bit of movement and exercise helps, especially when you sit on your butt for a living!

I bought a FitBit and have been wearing it religiously since December. In the beginning, I was only logging about 4,000 steps a day which was really sad. Now that I'm aware of how sedentary my job really is, I always trying to pick up extra steps here and there. Now I'm easily logging an average of 8,000 steps. I recently started making myself get up and walk around the office in my free time. Just a few minutes every hour or so really helps!

So... if you need to stretch, walk around or do a few basic exercises while at work... I say GO FOR IT.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Do you work 16 hours a day? If no, then you go work out when you're not working. Derp.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I am on this great program where i do my job while I'm at work, and then after i go exercise on my own time.

I like your goal to get fit, but it seems like you are try too hard. Set some time to exercise, get mentally and physically ready, it will help so much more than running in place in a bathroom stall.

I agree with the original poster. There's nothing wrong with taking a quick break and getting away from your desk. I try to walk the lower level of my building once every hour. One lap only takes a two and a half minutes and provides a ton of benefits. No one should sit for extended periods of time unless you want to put yourself at risk for a DVT. That extra 15-20 minutes of exercise daily will yield big results.

Most people spend way more time browsing the 'net or socializing. Why not do something good for your body, mind and spirit instead?
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Do you work 16 hours a day? If no, then you go work out when you're not working. Derp.

Seriously what is it with people being b-holes today? I don't work 16 hours a day...but I'm gone including my commute for around 11. The other time is spent taking care of my family, cooking, cleaning, etc. I have been exercising outside of work but I am by no means a "busy" person. Just because you don't work 16 hours a day doesn't mean you have nothing but free time.

AND FOR THE LAST TIME THE OP STATED SHE DOES WORK OUT BEFORE OR AFTER WORK AS WELL.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

Way to be de-motivational.

Personally I think its a great idea. If you can work in little bits of exercise here and there then why not? I too have a desk job and it would be nice to burn some extra calories in my downtime.

de-motivational? sure.
    but hes right.
    its not a sustainable lifestyle anyway.. its just a over-enthusiastic solution that cant be maintained long term.
    instead of doing this, why not spend 35mins doing a real workout, and then go off continuing to live your life normally?

im all for doing little things, like parking in the back of a parking lot and walking in.. but overkill things like this just make people burn out and eventually quit. just another part of the yo-yo effect.

Not a sustainable lifestyle?? For who? You? For many people, getting it in where ever you can fit it in is what ends up being most sustainable. The OP isn't talking about doing wind sprints. She's talking about doing a little something to get some extra activity in when time permits. Any movement is better than none at all. And before you know it, that 35 minute "real" workout you mentioned becomes an hour of activity because of the extra effort throughout the day. Folks might not have that kind of time before or after work.