What gets on your nerves the most about the boards?

Options
Since I started MFP, I have been addicted to the boards and they've helped motivate me. Here lately, I'm seeing a lot of posts about people talking about what they should do if a friend on here is doing this or that (mostly losing too much or eat too little or even eating junk).

Firstly, this gets on my nerves because it's almost common sense. If there is someone out there that is eating 500 cal a day, informing them (in a polite way) that it's unhealthy is advisable (note: the cost [them getting mad] does not outweigh the benefits [you could help someone who needs it and may not realize what they are doing is bad for them].

Everyone is making comments about how MFP is about helping others, but starting a board post and ranting about it isn't really helping them.

And if I want to eat McDonalds three times a day one day, I don't think it's your place to tell me what is and isn't healthy. Maybe I didn't have enough money to buy anything more than a hamburger on the dollar menu. Maybe I forgot my lunch at home and there is no where else to get food in the amount of time I have to get food. Maybe I just wanted a dang hamburger!

Sometimes I think we should get off our high horses about what's healthy and what's not. I know we are all excited about eating right and knowing all this knew information and we want to share it, but belittling others and making it seem as if you know best is not the best way to do it.

Replies

• Spinelli2288
    Spinelli2288 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I agree, I've been getting messages from people because I'm doing the HCG diet. They tell me how stupid I am, or go on stupid rants because apparently their opinions are fact, at least that is what I gather. I just delete them, because I don't need to explain myself to strangers, even worse, strangers who are working toward the same goal as I am. People always have to have their high horses, always have to one up everyone, so on and so forth. People are d*cks, and unfortunately it will never change.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I kinda think everyone is at their breaking point right now. It's almost the end of January and we got a LOT of new members at the first of the year. There are tons of duplicate posts about the same practices and while in an ideal world everyone would receive kind, informed responses as if they were the first person to ever post on a topic, the reality is that regular members get fatigued with answering their 10th "why haven't I lost weight it's been 3 days" post and they start to get a little gruff. Then they start to get sarcastic. At least that's what I think since I get a little annoyed with those posts too, but I try not to comment if I can't be constructive. :flowerforyou:
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    because apparently their opinions are fact, at least that is what I gather.

Some people's opinions ARE fact, or at least more based in fact than other people's opinions.

And while we're on the subject... one of the things that gets on my nerves is when people preach something as truth when it is NOT backed by science. And then, of course, when people who actually know a bit of science say something... the preacher gets upset.

Some myths are completely harmless. Some are flat-out-dangerous. Most just add unnecessary complexity to the average dieter's life.
  • jakki_brown
    jakki_brown Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    HCG is a controversial topic, but it gives no one the right to tell you what to do with YOUR body. If it works for you and you don't feel unhealthy, then it's not of anyone's concern. I believe if it bothers them this much, then they should leave you alone (delete you if that's what they feel they need to do) and not judge you. You know your body better than any stranger could ever know it.
  • jakki_brown
    Options
    I kinda think everyone is at their breaking point right now. It's almost the end of January and we got a LOT of new members at the first of the year. There are tons of duplicate posts about the same practices and while in an ideal world everyone would receive kind, informed responses as if they were the first person to ever post on a topic, the reality is that regular members get fatigued with answering their 10th "why haven't I lost weight it's been 3 days" post and they start to get a little gruff. Then they start to get sarcastic. At least that's what I think since I get a little annoyed with those posts too, but I try not to comment if I can't be constructive. :flowerforyou:

And I think that's how people should react.. the same as you! There will always be people that have unrealistic expectations, but it's not a reason for others to badger them. Everyone likes to state that this is an environment of encouragement, but many people don't encourage, but rather push their views on others. No one makes us respond to posts. I've found myself many times starting a post and realizing it'd be best I don't post and I just back out and let it die.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get annoyed when I'm in a browsing threads mood and there aren't as many new posts as usual. But this forum is pretty hopping, so that doesn't happen too often! :happy:
  • jakki_brown
    Options
    because apparently their opinions are fact, at least that is what I gather.

Some people's opinions ARE fact, or at least more based in fact than other people's opinions.

And while we're on the subject... one of the things that gets on my nerves is when people preach something as truth when it is NOT backed by science. And then, of course, when people who actually know a bit of science say something... the preacher gets upset.

Some myths are completely harmless. Some are flat-out-dangerous. Most just add unnecessary complexity to the average dieter's life.

I agree that scientifically there are less healthy ways to lose weight, but there are some techniques out there that are controversial and considered dangerous by some. For example, studies show that Adkins isn't the BEST diet, but some doctors do recommend it to patients. There are some people on the forums that preach balance (which is ultimately the best), but not all users are going to approach it this way. Adkins will always be around because the results are quick and it's known.

That being said, it isn't constructive for users to fight for their opinions (fact or not) to change the minds of other users.
  • jakki_brown
    Options
    Sometimes I get annoyed when I'm in a browsing threads mood and there aren't as many new posts as usual. But this forum is pretty hopping, so that doesn't happen too often! :happy:

I do appreciate that about MFP! And with this topic aside and generally speaking, I love that users are typically very encouraging and enthusiastic. My favorite tool to utilize (and the one that's helped me stay on track the most) is the phone app.. I have a friend that owns a blackberry and she doesn't get all the wonderful features on her phone, such as the bar code scanner.

BAR CODE SCANNER ROCKS!
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Eh, don't sweat it. It is part of message board life, hazing the newbies, lol.

What gets on my nerves is that they move too fast and topics get buried. Being a newb I do have annoying questions.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    People who live in a fantasy world where HCG shots actually does something for weight loss, carbs are evil, you can eat as much protein and fat as you want and not get fat, low carb diets have a metabolic advantage, eating breakfast jumpstarts your metabolism and unicorns and fairies prance around
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    People who live in a fantasy world where HCG shots actually does something for weight loss, carbs are evil, you can eat as much protein and fat as you want and not get fat, low carb diets have a metabolic advantage, eating breakfast jumpstarts your metabolism and unicorns and fairies prance around

Unicorns AND fairies??? together?
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    What gets on my nerves the most about the boards is how people use it to prop up themselves on a pedestal and rate and rank each other.

Honestly speaking, I can understand that you are proud of your bodies and couldn't care less about what people think (i.e: they usually say in their defence "they're only numbers")

What peeves me about this is all it ever does is perpetuates peoples belief that a person truly can be attractive based on a numbering system. True beauty goes way beyond that. Not to mention that true beauty is something that isn't reflected in a mirror.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    What gets on my nerves has already been said, so I won't repeat. Just know I agree with most of you :)
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    People who think Paula Deen was born this way and its not her fault.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Eh, don't sweat it. It is part of message board life, hazing the newbies, lol.

What gets on my nerves is that they move too fast and topics get buried. Being a newb I do have annoying questions.

This is actually true also-- you gotta know going into a message board that things get nasty. I'm pretty sure it dates back to the very first message board, when someone told someone else that they were practically Hitler for thinking whatever they thought, and thus began the proud hazing tradition. :)

Feel free to bump your post if it gets buried, someone will reply to you (unless it's too specific). The trick is figuring out which advice to follow and which to disregard.
  • jakki_brown
    Options
    What gets on my nerves the most about the boards is how people use it to prop up themselves on a pedestal and rate and rank each other.

Honestly speaking, I can understand that you are proud of your bodies and couldn't care less about what people think (i.e: they usually say in their defence "they're only numbers")

What peeves me about this is all it ever does is perpetuates peoples belief that a person truly can be attractive based on a numbering system. True beauty goes way beyond that. Not to mention that true beauty is something that isn't reflected in a mirror.

I totally agree! I haven't ever seen this ranking stuff.. it's probably good that I haven't.. People might not like me on here! HAHA
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Nothing.
    But I've always been able to distinguished between the internetz and reality...
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

^^THIS. Except, I'm okay with the unicorns and fairies prancing around. So pretty!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    most boards are NOT supportive most Friends ARE.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I do believe in fairies (and HCG) judge all you want. I go to gamer sites so nothing you say can harm me :P