10,000 a day what do you say

Options
As I was taking my loooooong walk this morning with my pedometer i pod in one hand and my cell stopwatch in the other an idea was hatched. For all those of you that have a hard time staying consistent with exercising, you know the ones that record every little thing they do as exercise so they don't have to really do it (I am one of those ;)), I have a challenge for you. For 2 weeks starting today Friday January 20th I propose we prove to ourselves that walking 10,000 a day will melt the inches away. First start off by adding this info:

1 weight
2 waiste measurement
3 hips measurement

In 12 days from now, February 3rd we will do the same thing with how much we have lost in those three areas. Let's proove to the exercise fanatics that walking can be just as affective in shedding those pounds. Let's support one another to become consistent with exercise. 10,000 or more a day, what do you all say ????

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    1. 73.4 kilos
    2. 30 inches waiste
    3. 37 inches hips

I hope you all are with me!! we can do this!!, All encouragement is welcome since I have read that many of you HATE exercise as much as I do. I just walked 10,000 steps and intend to walk another 10,000 with a friend again in a half an hour or so.
  • mrsheavy
    mrsheavy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    sounds like a fab idea! I dont own a pedometer and the only form of exercise i actually enjoy is Zumba, so ill head out and get one today and join you!
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    I thought this was a proposal on calories burnt per day, now that would be something!
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    How long do you walk for to get the 10000 steps in?
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    I walked an hour and 20 minutes. I am sure that will improve as I get more in shape and lighter. A pedometer is a really great thing to have. Plus this will at least keep me consistent for 2 whole weeks. If it goes well, this can be an on going thing.
  • MissConfidence
    Options
    I'd totally join but my measurements are supposed to only increase right now as I'm pregnant with our first child! But, I'm still aiming for an hour-hour and a half walks daily and I think that about counts as 10,000 steps...? Anyway, good luck to everyone, and I'd love to join you all in say, 4 months time for another fun challenge!
  • lovemydrmartens
    lovemydrmartens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I already do more than 10,000 a day, I need something a bit more demanding at the moment i think! good luck with it though :-)
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    ok, I just walked another 10,000 with a friend, actually a bit more. So, total for today is 24,000 steps and I am damn proud. This challenge is for people that have a hard time being motivated to exercise regularly or at all. I know this challenge is not a challenge for some but for others like me, it is a huge step. This is a perfect exercise for a newly pregnant person!! I want to see some stats. Let's walk our way to fit. The gym and treadmills are really not for me. I love to walk and breathe the air and chat with a friend. That is one of the only exercises I can see myself sticking to and I do not believe there is one right way to do it. Moving the body in any capacity is great especially if you are a sedentary home body like myself. I hope more people join!!
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    Oh and I meant 14 days from today, not twelve we will quote our stats again and losses. woops.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    bump
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    Anyone else want to join us?
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I am in for 10,000 per day.

I keep track of my steps here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/426263-january-daily-step-challenge

I am at 182.8 lbs.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    do you know your inches? It will be fun to see how many inches all this walking will burn.
  • TWrecks1968
    TWrecks1968 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a proposal on calories burnt per day, now that would be something!

And I thought it was a post on eating that many calories a day.
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    ok this is about 6 miles a day! Im in! I run 3 or 4 times a week which will be included, if i go on the bike i will work out how far i would have got by running in the same amount of time.

I will begin this tomorrow by adding my stats in the morning as its my offcial 'weigh in day' and then have a 10 mile run to do! looking forward to getting out and walking even on my day of :) sounds fun
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've decided to buy a pedometer. That was easy. Thank you :)
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    do you know your inches? It will be fun to see how many inches all this walking will burn.

I have not measured since I started MFP. If I remember I will do it tonight.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    GREAT!! so nice to see so many motivated people out there. It is for everyone and fun to do it together in our own parts of the world. Getting the body moving makes so much difference and I have a hard time motivating myself to do this. My butt and legs are killing me right now but I it is a good pain. It will be fun to see what all this walking does to the inches especially and it will make me accountable and motivated to exercise every day. If you have a newer i pod it should have a pedometer on it. That is what I used. The faster you walk the faster you will reach 10,000 steps and I bet you can get faster as you get lighter and more in shape. I am pretty sure with the way my muscles feel after my 26,000 steps that my butt, hips and waiste will be smaller at the end of the 2 weeks, not sure I can do that every day but I will be doing at least 10,000 rain or shine. 14 days is not so long but I think we can make a bit of a difference in our bodies in that amount of time. Happy walking everyone!!
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    and colochel that is one CUTE baby!!!
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    bump