10,000 a day what do you say

Options

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Walked 14,000 steps today so far and from yesterday and today my *kitten* is killllllling me. It is a good pain though ;)
  • SinCity2003
    SinCity2003 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm in :) I will take measurements later on today. I've already done 7500 steps today. I use "Walk it Out" on the Wii and it tracks steps taken/calories burned/distance traveled for me, but I'm heading out later to get a pedometer to make sure it's accurate.
    Can't wait to see the end of the 14 days!
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    Fantastic SinCity and everyone else that is joining in. I have been much more motivated since I made this goal for myself. It should be interesting to see what happens in 2 weeks. Losing inches is the most important in my opinion and my butt hurts so hopefully that means my muscles there are getting a good workout!! Any of you feel free to add me as a friend if you like. I can use all the support I can get and I will support you equally as much. I am not one who is short on words and I find motivation by being really involved.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    I am sooooo ready to walk my big butt away!!
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    Day 3, walked almost 12,000 steps today. I wouldn't be so consistent without making this commitment. Is anyone else doing it too?
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    ok, I'm off to find that pedometer I know I have somewhere...
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    great!! Day 4 for me. I have been way more consistent due to this 2 week goal. I can feel it in my butt and legs which is good. Looking forward to taking measurements. This morning I walked 12,000 steps right before I was called and informed that my little guy was sick and I had to pick him up. I hope he is better tomorrow as I am walking 10,000+ every day rain or shine, no matter what. I find it is the easiest in the morning because it starts my day off so nicely. Hope to see more of you joining :)!! I think you can make a difference in inches even in a week and a half if you started today.
  • jadelyndsey
    jadelyndsey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    How long do you walk for to get the 10000 steps in?

2000 steps is the average mile, and it takes anywhere between 20-30 minutes to walk one mile. (or 14 minutes if you walk as fast as me!)

In all honesty, I would just recommend doing 30 minutes in the morning, and 30 minutes in the afternooon/night aswell as taking "healthy" walking choices, for example get off the bus a stop earlier, take the long route to work walking, etc etc. Although you may not reach the 2000, its something you could stick to, rather than saying to yourself "right, lets go do 130 minutes of walking tonight" :)
  • SinCity2003
    Options
    I walked 12,000 steps yesterday that I logged (through Walk It Out on the Wii). I'm sure I walked more than that, but I didn't have my pedometer until 8pm last night. I also forgot to put it on when we left the house this morning to run errands :(
    Also, I had a "bad" breakfast this morning, so I'm aiming for 15,000 steps today to try to offset some of those calories. I still haven't taken my measurements....I realized last night, I don't have a measuring tape (how said is THAT!?!?! ) I do know my starting weight though and I will head back to Target later to find a measuring tape today :)
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    fantastic SinCity. I am so not used to all this exercise that I am finding myself pretty damn hungry but I am just eating my exercise calories and nothing else :). I was so close to being bad today but chose something else. It really does start my day out perfectly with a loooong walk. I start by walking my kids to school and then go from there. The sun was shining today (it was coooold) but the sunshine was so beautiful.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    "put the scales away, what do the inches say?" is my new slogan. My hips are now 36 inches and waiste 29, I started out 41 and 31. So it really doesn't matter what the scale says, as long as I am losing inches and fitting my clothes better, that is the only thing that matters. Crazy that it took me this long to figure it out. It is definitely sinking in more and more.

So, yes I cheated with measuring already but I am happy with the results. It is only day 5 and I have walked another 15,600 steps and will walk to pick up my kids so that will add yet even more. I think this many steps a day should be a goal for everyone although I have to say that for weight loss purposes doing a big long walk does a load of good for your psyche. You won't feel it as much if you do a little walk here and there throughout the day.

Bottom line, I have kept it up for 5 days now and I feel great!! Hope you guys are doing it too. Let me know how you are doing??
  • SinCity2003
    Options
    I failed at my 15,000 goal yesterday, but I did make the 10,000 steps. Today is my first day back at work since starting the challenge and I left my pedometer at home :( I really have no way to track, so I'm going to go home and do 10,000 steps on Walk it Out for the Wii and just count that as my 10,000.
    I also fell asleep last night before I could measure myself, so I don't know how accurate my measurements will be after doing it for 3 days (today would be day 4, I believe).
    Will update later this evening, although this is going to be a hard week because I took yesterday off and now I have to work 4 10 hour days, drive 55 minutes each way to work and still fit 10,000 steps in there somewhere LOL.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    At least you are thinking about it. You will find a way. I understand what it is to be busy. You can definitely walk around in your house up the stairs or walk in place. Not as fun as going for a walk but it also works. Hang in there, you are doing great!!
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Made over 19,000 today running around for work. My pedometer said that was over 6 miles!
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    Fantastic, I just walked for 3 and a half hours 22,391 steps, burning 1121 calories. My legs feel like they are going to fall off and I think I have a couple blisters starting but again it is a good pain! Keep it going everyone, it will pay off in the end. This is the most consistent I have been since ever :)!! If I make it a habit, I am sure it will continue. Getting that alone thought time is good for the soul. Have a great day everyone and good work!!!
  • SinCity2003
    Options
    I did 10,000 on Walk it Out last night, on top of whatever I walked at work (because I didn't have my pedometer). And, rushing out the door this morning, I forgot it again. I think I'm just going to make it my goal to do 10,000 steps a night on the Wii and whatever I do at work, throughout the day will be extra.
    Someone at work today noticed my pants were looser than before, so something is working :)
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    Fantastic!!! This has definitely gotten me off my hiny to get som real exercise in and I am also holding myself accountable rain or shine I am working on it. I think there will be snow Friday but that will be fun I think since I am originally from California and looooove the snow..
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    14,552 and counting since I do not have a car today. I hope all of you are enjoying your walks! I know i am. Getting the routine established is the hardest part (like making the bed) but once it becomes part of daily life, you will miss it if you choose to stop. I cheated again and saw that another inch is gone off my hips :)! This is really working and when I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, I can feel that my body is toning up. It is a great feeling. Walkin that fat away!!! Hope you guys are doing great too!! My whole body feels better so despite the scale not changing :(, I know something is happening. Inches, please keep tabs on your inches :)!! The weight will come with time. I have only been at it 16 days after all.
  • speedycakes
    speedycakes Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I just broke my pedometer. :(
    Still great idea.
  • SinCity2003
    Options
    I did my 10,000 steps last night. Didn't finish until 10:30 p.m. and couldn't fall asleep until almost midnight, so I'm paying for it today, but I did them :)

I was able to button a pair of work pants this morning that haven't fit in probably 2 years. They're still a little snug, so I didn't wear them, but it's progress.

Still marching (walking) along with you :)