Difference between running and jogging?

Options

Replies

• kappy_hollowell
    Options
    Run Forrest, Run!!!

Forrest was a sprinter! LOL

Oh, except when he was running across country. He kinda "jogged" then. BUT he was still RUNNIN!
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    An instructor at my gym classified them like this: When running, you should be putting in enough effort to not be able to hold a conversation. While jogging, you should be putting in enough effort to not be able to sing but not so much that you can't hold a conversation.

But to me...running is running. I'm quite new to it though, so I'm probably over simplifying it :laugh:

Which is weird, since training for running dictates that the majority of your workouts be at a pace that you can have a conversation. So... all those marathon runners are "jogging?". I dunno. I find jogging to be an insulting term. It implies that you aren't working hard for your speed, despite heart rate effort, so I prefer not to use it at all.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's all running.

I'll call it jogging if I can carry on a conversation.
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the "Shorties" on this thread. I am 5' 2". I vary my "running" speeds between 5,0 and 7.0 sometime up to 8.0 for short spurts.If I am at any speed above 4.5 I AM "running."
    Any way, my resting heart rate and blood pressure says I'm a runner. At least that's what my doctor says.

I actually find "running" at the higher speeds to be somewhat easier since your body is above the ground more and there is less impact.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Run Forrest, Run!!!

Forrest was a sprinter! LOL

Oh, except when he was running across country. He kinda "jogged" then. BUT he was still RUNNIN!
    I could actually hear Forrest's voice when I read that.
  • LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I agree with it is all running. Slower pace, still able to chat = jogging. Faster, not able to have a conversation, concentrating more on breathing = sprinting. With time and experience it changes. 6mph used to be sprinting for me, now that's a slow jog, & my sprinting pace is 8mph... Trying to work myself up to 8.5-9mph as sprinting. (a girl can dream... AND achieve :wink: )
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    Some people define the difference to be more that jogging is the personal fitness (you do it for yourself, no competition), and running takes it to the level where you actually participate in races, train to increase speed, etc..

I don't know if I agree with that. But it's all running to me.
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I forgot an aspect.
    You jog from a zombie

You run from a large predator

You trip and fall in front of Jason or Michael

Dude, you are hilarious!
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Running is the word runners use.

Jogging is what people dismissive of running use.

If you put one foot in front of the other and it's faster than a walk, you're a runner.

THIS :)
  • christinajohnson
    christinajohnson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think that there are some who draw a line. I draw a line by effort. I also feel like there's a stigma of "less effort" attached to jogging. I prefer the term running. I may not be as fast as I used to be, but I'm still out there moving.

Also, dictionary definitions:
    jog: move in an unsteady way, typically slowly
    run: move at a speed faster than a walk, never having both feet on the ground at the same time

Like I said, I may not move as fast, but I'm certainly not unsteady or trudging along...
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    An instructor at my gym classified them like this: When running, you should be putting in enough effort to not be able to hold a conversation. While jogging, you should be putting in enough effort to not be able to sing but not so much that you can't hold a conversation.

But to me...running is running. I'm quite new to it though, so I'm probably over simplifying it :laugh:

Which is weird, since training for running dictates that the majority of your workouts be at a pace that you can have a conversation. So... all those marathon runners are "jogging?". I dunno. I find jogging to be an insulting term. It implies that you aren't working hard for your speed, despite heart rate effort, so I prefer not to use it at all.

Yes, thank you. I am running. Some days I run slow, some days I run fast (for me). It's all running. 'Jogging' implies something you're JUST doing to get fit, but you can take it or leave it, whereas 'running' means you have found a sport you are committed to, and you do it regularly. 'Jogging' sounds like it needs tights and legwarmers and those stupid pink 1-lb weights. It's not the 80's people! You're a runner! :D
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I don't think speed has much to do with it. I call it jogging if I am not working hard, when I push myself, I call it running.

Same here. If I am not pushing myself I say jog. It doesn't mean I'm not committed or I'm not doing it regularly... It's just how I personally use the terms. I don't see it as a derogatory term.
  • Whinchat
    Whinchat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I run - doesn't matter what speed it is, if it's not walking then it's definitely running (although being a bit slow I sometimes refer to myself as a plodder, but I llike to think that indicates stoicism and determination :laugh: )
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I use the terms walking, jogging, and sprinting. Running is just the catch-all that jogging & sprinting fall under for me. I 'jog' at roughly an 8-minute mile.

JM
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    No difference.
    When you say "I'm going 'RUNNING'" - that sounds tougher.

Most runners aren't running.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The only difference is the 1st 4 letters.

running = jogging when used in a recreational sense

But outside of that, a jog is a slow run. I don't think there is a specific speed at which that happens though. For some a flat out run is a jog to others.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Running is the word runners use.

Jogging is what people dismissive of running use.

If you put one foot in front of the other and it's faster than a walk, you're a runner.
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    I like this!

I am a RUNNER!
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    No difference.
    When you say "I'm going 'RUNNING'" - that sounds tougher.

Most runners aren't running.

Walking=jogging=running=sprinting
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I use the word running.
    If I'm a 2 mph or 6 mph. Its makes me sound better saying
    "I'm going to run"
    "what is all that stuff your putting on?"
    "Its my special running shoes, my HRM, my really high tech shirt, even my special running undies"
    "Oh, what are you going to run in a race"
    "yup, I run, I'm an athlete"

If I say jogging:
    "I'm going out for a jog"
    "yuppie dou*** bag"

Best. Post. Ever.

Love it! And love to call myself a runner even if I only average 5 MPH
  • hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    I have been a runner/jogger marathoner since 1994. I jog and run. I can hold a conversation whether I am running or jogging. In my life, I go for a jog if it is under 3-4 miles and I am just enjoying a quick even paced run, I run when I am going a further distance and plan to work harder. That is ME. Everyone who jogs is a runner. As long as you are out there and moving at a faster pace than a walk you are running! Enjoy it!