Difference between running and jogging?

Options
1235»

Replies

• tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing people say that any pace faster than a walk is running and I don't necessarily disagree with that, but then my mind starts wandering. And I think what's the difference then between walking and running? I ask because I occasionally watch those speed walking races - usually during the Olympics. Even though they are walking, it's a pace that looks like its faster than I am even capable of running. Yes, I am that slow. Anyway, just something that popped in my head ando made me think "hmmm..."
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I can't hold a conversation doing anything other than walking. If i try, it comes out as grunts (singing too). To me, the difference between running and jogging is the same as the difference between walking and strolling. One implies lack of effort. Since I'm definately making an effort, I choose to call it running, tyvm.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I use the word running.
    If I'm a 2 mph or 6 mph. Its makes me sound better saying
    "I'm going to run"
    "what is all that stuff your putting on?"
    "Its my special running shoes, my HRM, my really high tech shirt, even my special running undies"
    "Oh, what are you going to run in a race"
    "yup, I run, I'm an athlete"

If I say jogging:
    "I'm going out for a jog"
    "yuppie dou*** bag"

LOL - good definition!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing people say that any pace faster than a walk is running and I don't necessarily disagree with that, but then my mind starts wandering. And I think what's the difference then between walking and running? I ask because I occasionally watch those speed walking races - usually during the Olympics. Even though they are walking, it's a pace that looks like its faster than I am even capable of running. Yes, I am that slow. Anyway, just something that popped in my head ando made me think "hmmm..."

Walking means at least one foot is always on the ground. Running means at some point in your stride, both feet are off the ground. That's all there is to it.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If you're being chased, you're not going to jog.

For me, running is when I'm moving about as fast as I can over the distance I'm going. Jogging involves going at a slower pace, usually half of running.