What to eat at DisneyWorld?

Options
Going to Disney next week. Does anyone have any great "healthier" places/items to eat? :drinker:

Replies

• Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    The last time I went to disneyworld, I had to take a 401k loan out to pay for the food there. I'm being facetious, but it was expensive. So we just ended up bringing in snacks to eat while there and then having a nice dinner somewhere else.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I love Disney!! :smile: I was there a year ago November. The food is pricey so I would suggest bringing snacks if you can. You will be walking a lot so have water with you and if you want to have nice dinners make sure you make reservations beforehand because they are booked all the time. Coral Reef was my favorite restaurant there (Epcot) and they had seafood and chicken if I remember right.
  • awdhemi
    awdhemi Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The last time I went to disneyworld, I had to take a 401k loan out to pay for the food there. I'm being facetious, but it was expensive. So we just ended up bringing in snacks to eat while there and then having a nice dinner somewhere else.

HAHA This made me LOL!
  • golope
    golope Posts: 54
    Options
    I'm going there in March and I've been worried about the same thing. I've worked so hard to get where I am - I don't want to blow it all by eating Disney crap for a week. Not to mention the cost factor! My plan was a good breakfast in the hotel and then try to keep to simple snacks as best I can find during the day and a good dinner somewhere else at night. I'm assuming all the walking we'll be doing will help with the extra calories that I'm bound to eat.
  • bissenhotel
    Options
    We got the free dining plan, sit down dinner, counter service lunch and a snack.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Small children, they are plentiful and low cal.
  • bump040510
    Options
    Small children, they are plentiful and low cal.

Hahahahahahahahahahha!
  • Poohsta0
    Poohsta0 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Grilled Mickey
  • nys2
    nys2 Posts: 8
    Options
    erxkeel -- FUNNY! Loved it!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Going to Disney next week. Does anyone have any great "healthier" places/items to eat? :drinker:

minnie mouse
  • JPsFunkyMojo
    Options
    I second the bringing in some snacks. Food is REALLY spendy inside any theme park, especially Disney. As for healthier options, if you're going to Epcot inside the Electric Umbrella they have this killer black bean burger. They also have healthier options inside the living seas.
  • cupcakediva24
    Options
    They have fresh fruit for snacks and you can bring your own food in there as well. Just ask for veggies instead of fries or share meals and load up on the good stuff. I know Pinocchio's place in MK has a greek salad for entree that is REALLY good. Just keep walking and drinking water and I think you will do fine. You will be able to make great decisions food wise everywhere. They are good to work with everyone. Just tell them how you want it! Have fun!!!
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I had typed this post on another thread so I'm just copying/pasting here as it also applies:
    We went to Disney World for a week after Thanksgiving! It was ah-maze-ing! I was concerned about how I'd maintain while there since we were on the dining plan but I did great! In fact, I didn't gain a pound (well, when we first got back I was up a couple of pounds but within two days that all came out as I was retaining a ton of water from the excess sodium and flying). I was back to losing in no time! And I allowed myself to enjoy the food (we did four buffets while there...so you can only imagine!!). For breakfast I ordered a container of my favorite protein shake from Amazon and had it sent down so every morning I had my usual with a fiber bar or an apple. I also ordered (from Amazon) the following for snacks to throw in our bags: Jack Link's beef and cheese sticks, Kellogg's Fiber Bars, Planter's Peanuts/Cashews, and to-go packets of all natural peanut butter. I spent $100 with all the protein and snacks for my family, but it was worth it as I wasn't blowing money on other crap and we had plenty of energy to go from 8 am until midnight or 2 am (we got the most out of this trip!). I ate a dessert with each meal when it was offered as part of our plan...but sometimes I'd be so full by the time it came around that I just split it with my son or something. So, all of this to say...it's definitely doable to maintain (and even lose, I imagine had I made healthier choices and skipped desserts I'd have lost!). I wore a BodyMedia Fit and my average calorie burn was about 2800-2900 cals a day from just walking.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've only been to Disneyland, so I am not sure of what DisneyWorld has, but there was one sort of walk up type of restaurant that had a grilled chicken sandwich with avocado. It was good, and not terrible for me!
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what your meal plan includes, but in Downtown Disney there are tons of sit down restaurants that will offer seafood, chicken dishes and salads. I would order something high in protein and a dinner salad (with dressing on the side. I dunk my fork in the dressing cup - that way each bite has dressing and it is amazing to see how little you need for your salad). Another thing I do is ask for a to go box right off the bat. We as Americans are known for having jacked up serving sizes. Put half of the meal away before you even start eating, that way the temptation is packed away in the little container. Lastly,
    HAVE FUN!!!
    Enjoy your vacation and don't beat yourself up over food choices!!! :smile:
  • rebawagner
    rebawagner Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    we have season passes and go often... I recommend packing your own luches (FOR EVERYONE)... Throw some cheese sticks and fruit snacks as well as a couple uncrustables or pre wrapped subs for the kids. I brought nuts, apples and cheese sticks for me. Buy one of those Brita filtered water bottles and fill them up at the water fountains (waters are about $3.00 each and sodas are $2.75. ) If you HAVE to eat there... There is Chili (its not good) and salads, but most everything else is fried, pasta or fatty! HAVE FUN!!!!
  • cmp04d
    cmp04d Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am lucky enough to live in Florida and have a brother-in-law who works at Disney, so I enjoy the parks several times a year, and it is possible to eat healthy. Usually, I bring my own snack (granola bars and such) to prevent the binging on ice cream bars and such. When it comes to actual meals, most quick service places have salads and wraps. You can also get grilled chicken sandwiches and substitute apple slices or grapes for fries. If you are in EPCOT, visit The Land pavilion, they have healthier foods that are incredibly delicious. Most sit down places will have some sort of grilled meats to chose from, just pair it with extra veggies and you're set.

Also, don't forget about all the walking you will be doing! You will be on your feet for hours so you can eat a little more than you would at home. Plus, don't forget it is a vacation and its ok to indulge a little, just in moderation. Have fun!
  • robmaguire1
    Options
    Just got back from Disney World. Since you are on the dining plan, expect to eat alot. What you want to do is not eat the "crap" food like hamburgers and chicken fingers. There is a great place at the Contemporary called The Wave. It's never busy and they have some healthy food selections, especially for breakfast. When you have your sit down meal, have a salad with dressing on the side and a piece of fish or chicken with no sauce or toppings on it. That should help.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    This will be a problem. Not a whole lot of healthy options. Take healthy snacks in with you, they do not mind if you bring food in. Find restaurants around the area before you go that you can and want to eat at. i remember a salad at one of the restaurants there was almost $20.00.... A burger and fries about $10.00.....A pizza is the best deal at the resorts for about $15-20...It will feed more than one....You're definitely going to want to take something. If you stay at the reseort you can rent a refrigerator, its small but you can keep a few things in there. Go to the local grocery store and stock up.
  • autumnsfalling
    autumnsfalling Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was just there for a week in October. I was bad (you may not want to follow my example) and I ate (almost) what I wanted. I enjoyed myself but I did watch my portion sizes. Given the amount of walking we did, and that we were there for the Food/Wine Festival in Epcot I was happy that I was only up 2lbs when I came home. Three days of being home and back on my plan I had lost the little bit that I gained at Disney.

My perspective is that this food/weight loss journey that I'm on is a life-long change. I don't want to deny myself those treats all of the time or I may not end up sticking to this new way of eating for the long-term.

I couldn't eat all the time like I did on vacation and the key (for me) was mentally allowing myself to eat like that for the week knowing that as soon as we were back home I was back on my "diet". I was actually looking forward to watching that water weight fall back off.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!!

PS - in my experience with Disney (we go regularly) just tell the server that you're looking for healthier options and they will direct you to those items on the menu... or at a buffet just ask your server to direct you to those items on the buffet. They are MORE than happy to help!!