What to eat at DisneyWorld?

Options

Replies

• rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    We packed in our food in a pack back every day that we were there - and then we would let the kids have one treat before we left at the end of the day.
    we're a family of 5 and starts to get expensive not only is it mostly unhealthy. They have small stands through out the park with healthy options - but they are pricey.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have an annual pass to DisneyWorld as I live 90 mins away from it and it's a fun thing to do on a Sat. Food wise this is what we do to keep costs low and eat semi healthly.

If you are in Epcot there is always the "Food Court" in the Land. Salads and good sandwiches. Probably $10 a person. Also, the worlds have great yummy food. In the World Showcase, America is pretty inexpensive.

Magic Kingdom, if you go to Tomorrow Land, cross the bridge to the right from the castle and there is a cafe there that has turkey wraps. Again its probably $10. Also, Frontier land has a busy little restaurant that sells fish.

Keys to keeping it cheap: We NEVER EVER buy Soda, what a waste of $3! Bring a water bottle with you and crystal light and just refill through out the day. You can go into any restaurant and use the cold water from the soda machines! Good for you and free!!!

If you have a car, we always hit Subway before we go to the park. Healthy and cheaper. We have also brought subway subs into the parks with us. And homemade little finger sandwiches. We bring individual packets of Almonds and Apples. Keep in mind if you are there when it's warm the food is getting warm in your bag so plan for that. I have a Kate Spade backpack that is insulated so I stick an ice pack in it and our food and it looks cute without screaming "I'm carrying my lunch in DisneyWorld!" You can bring any kind of food you want, depends on if you want to carry it!!! There are lockers to rent but I never want to walk to the lockers from across the park!

Good Luck and enjoy your vacation!! You are never too old to enjoy Disney World! :happy:
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I can't say I have ever looked for healthy food at Disney. When I go, it is definitely my cheat day. You do so much walking anyway, that you can usually justify the calories. It is expensive, but I love eating in Japan at Epcot. I always get the Japanese curry rice, and my BF gets the Udon noodles. Yum! Then churros in Mexico, turkey legs in America. *Drools* Epcot is my favorite so I haven't spent a lot of time eating at the other parks. :/
  • cmp04d
    cmp04d Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I was at Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure this past Saturday, they have similar food options. Feel free to look at my diary and see how I ate. I didn't gain anything all weekend as was able to drop 1 lb this week.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    The last time I went to disneyworld, I had to take a 401k loan out to pay for the food there. I'm being facetious, but it was expensive. So we just ended up bringing in snacks to eat while there and then having a nice dinner somewhere else.

BUY THE DINING plan! The savings can be in the HUNDREDS! Sometimes WDW offers the dining plan for free with your stay. Disney isn't any more expensive than elsewhere in Orlando. If you want to know where to eat, send me a PM. I know Disneyworld like the back of my hand.
  • deliak2010
    Options
    LOL at all the hilarious responses :D. But to answer your question, Disney World doesn't have many healthy options within the theme park itself besides some really bland (and overpriced) salads, fruits and other generic things. I used to go to Disney World every other year with my family and we used to pack food with us and carry them in our knapsacks, which was easy and delicious :). Or if you don't want to do that then you can just map out your day into portions of food from the park according to what's the "best of the worst" from their selection so to speak lol.

Good luck and I hope you have a blast at the Happiest Place on Earth!!! :))
  • MamawB6234
    MamawB6234 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We went to WDW last year with the free dining plan. Its the only way to go and enjoy yourself. They have plenty of healthy choices, even for snacks. It was the first time I had used this app to help me keep track of my foods. Between the walking and smart choices, I did not gain any weight while there, and their restaurants have such beautiful food presentations, you'll be tempted to take pictures of them. We saved a couple of our dinner points to use at 2pt. restaurants for a really special dinner. Don't forget to make reservations, because many others are also using the dining plan also.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I cannot remember where I saw it, but try Googling some information - we're going in a year for our wedding and I found a message board or site that listed some healthier options at certain restaurants. WDW has already laxed on their "no food in the parks" area so we're planning on packing a bunch of non-perishable healthy snacks to have throughout the day.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Do like the locals and bring your own snacks!!!

You will save tons of calories and money.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It's Disney World!! Just have a good time and worry about working it off when you get back!!
  • jsmjboertlein
    Options
    It is pricey but I had a delicious healthy salad at the coral reef rest in epcot
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    If it were up to me, I'd nix Chip and Dale and eat them for lunch.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MissJenn33
    Options
    We went to Disney this past November. We had the deluxe meal plan which was the best idea ever. (Booked thru AAA and got it completely free & saved a massive amount of $$$) If you are staying in a Disney resort there are "food court" like places that have plenty of healthy snack oprions. Lots of whole fruits, fruit or veggie packs, yogurts ect. You have a better chance a healthier choices @ sit down restaurants. The "quck serve" places are basically fast food burgers and fries. It was not my healthiest week of eating!
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Your on vacation, your supposed to eat whatever you want!! LOL!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Well in that case, pick the healthiest options and use your portion control!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    My son just went to Disney with a high school school trip 2 weeks ago. We gave him a lot a money to go with and he spent a lot of it on food in the park. Said a burger was almost $12 and came just as is ... a burger.

I think I would possibly plan a filling breakfast before arriving each day or possibly a special breakfast in a disney park restaurant, then a snack or two during the day at the park and dinner elsewhere at night. Bring tons of water with you too.

Have FUN!!! So much walking you will burn a lot of calories there :)
  • Alexinette
    Options
    My family and I went to Disney 4 years ago. I had just finished a very strict diet and I was worried about what I'd eat. We had the meal plan. If my memory is good, it includes 2 meals and collations. So each morning, i was having breakfast at the hotel. I was able to find fruits and yogourt and avoid eggs, bacon, or other greasy stuff. On site, i was disappointed by the food. It's all the same thing. Burgers, hot dogs, mac & cheese, etc. So, I skipped lunches. I was bringing some food from the hotel or having collations. (Btw, collations on site are mostly ice cream, but there's an healthier choice. It's a frozen banana covered with chocolate) Dinner was the most interresting part. In each parks, but mostly in Epcot, there're good restaurants à la carte. So it's easier to have access to healthier choices. Each night we were headed to Epcot because the food was a lot tastier and healthier than everywhere else. It's because of all those ethnics restaurants. The thing is, it's always full. You need to make reservations in advance. Disney recommends you to plan all your reservations before you arrive. But we were always able to find a table if we made a reservation the same day or for the day after. There's a restaurants guide you can consult. You should take a look before you go and choose few places you where you want to eat.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I had no idea you could bring food in, Canada's Wonderland has always forbid it and since they started checking backpacks/bags about 5 years ago you can't even sneak it in. Saw a guy with a giant bag of cherries get confiscated and cherries were like $6.99 a lb at that time, sucky!

Anyway, I've always done the classic fanny pack tourist thing (but worn around the back so as to not look like a 60 year old man, lol!) so that I can have my camera, wallet and rides aren’t interrupted at Disney, can you drop off a backpack at the exit of a ride? People do at Wonderland but I'm not sure how safe that is in Orlando or even if they have the space.

For all the buggy pushers this idea works for you but what about people who go on all the rides?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Turkey legs!
  • tracydio
    Options
    check out this disneyworld food blog:
    http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/02/04/eating-healthy-in-walt-disney-world/
    They seem to have some very good tips and restaurants suggestions
    14789648.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools