What to eat at DisneyWorld?

Options

Replies

• JPsFunkyMojo
    Options
    Can you drop off a backpack at the exit of a ride? People do at Wonderland but I'm not sure how safe that is in Orlando or even if they have the space.

For all the buggy pushers this idea works for you but what about people who go on all the rides?

They do have spots for you to put the strollers, but they are unattended so just keep that in mind. But being from Orlando, the only time I've seen or heard of anything being taken from them were just from squirrels looking for food. Disney and all theme parks make sure it is a worryfree place to visit. As for bags on the ride, you will have to get a locker to put your bags in, and they are always in front of the ride and only cost a few quarters.
  • golope
    golope Posts: 54
    Options
    Small children, they are plentiful and low cal.

LOL LOVE THIS!!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    We got the free dining plan, sit down dinner, counter service lunch and a snack.

We had that as well. Just make sure you search Disney website and make reservations for dinner at sit down restaurants or you will be eating similar things all day long (most of the faster lunch places serve similar items).
  • rashidaSolid
    rashidaSolid Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are buying your tickets at the gate there is usually a discount on the receipt. If you eat before a certain time you get a large discount in the Magic Kingdom. There are various cafes you can use it in. Otherwise you may want to just eat the large turkey drumsticks. I usually pack food for the day.
  • bissenhotel
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've had a few friends on MFP just come back and they all did fine. Lots of water!!:happy:
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    We got the free dining plan, sit down dinner, counter service lunch and a snack.

Going in one month (from today!) and have the same plan (and have a reservation each day for some type of sit down restaurant, a couple w/ characters).
    Still planning on eating b'fast in our hotel (hope to use a grocery delivery service to have cereal, milk, cereal bars, fruit, etc, plus snacks to pack for hte day). Trying not to obsess much, figure there's LOTS of walking to be had (this might be the hardest thing for me, not doing my Chalean Extreme or Turbofire workouts!).
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Can you drop off a backpack at the exit of a ride? People do at Wonderland but I'm not sure how safe that is in Orlando or even if they have the space.

For all the buggy pushers this idea works for you but what about people who go on all the rides?

They do have spots for you to put the strollers, but they are unattended so just keep that in mind. But being from Orlando, the only time I've seen or heard of anything being taken from them were just from squirrels looking for food. Disney and all theme parks make sure it is a worryfree place to visit. As for bags on the ride, you will have to get a locker to put your bags in, and they are always in front of the ride and only cost a few quarters.

Thanks for the response. This definitely solidifies that I will stick to my fanny pack only. A backpack is obviously too much of a hassle and all for the sake of food $ saving? I’ll spend all my food money on lockers this way, silly! I’ll do what I have before, eat a good breakfast before we go, bring a bottle of water, 2 granola bars and then eat a fun dinner. I've never spent more than $40 a day in the park for the 2 of us on food other than when we went to the buffet in Frontier Land for $35 each but that was well worth it because we didn't buy dinner after so that’s still $80 a day and considering you pay $90 a person (assuming 1-day ticket) enjoy your time there, eat the best you can i.e. chicken burgers and sub for apple slices but otherwise, workout at your hotel and you'll burn it off walking + workout.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

Going in one month (from today!) and have the same plan (and have a reservation each day for some type of sit down restaurant, a couple w/ characters).
    Still planning on eating b'fast in our hotel (hope to use a grocery delivery service to have cereal, milk, cereal bars, fruit, etc, plus snacks to pack for hte day). Trying not to obsess much, figure there's LOTS of walking to be had (this might be the hardest thing for me, not doing my Chalean Extreme or Turbofire workouts!).

Grocery Delivery? Are you without a vehicle? If you are flying car rentals are very cheap, I know Disney Resorts offer free transportation to the parks but how will you go to Prime and Premium Outlets, Millennia Mall and Florida Malll?? You gotta shop on vaca!

If you are flying just stop in at a Walmart when you get there to get some cereal, milk and such. I love going to Walmart in the US b/c they have the odd thing we don't in Canada like Cherry Coke Zero, 35 cal bread and Fiber One Yogurt - the key lime one is to die for!

Check your hotel, they may have DVD players in the room, The Hard Rock does.
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I was just there this last weekend. We packed things like water, bananas, and protein bars. We had lunch at the Crystal Palace and loved it. They had alot of bad items but they had healthy things as well (its a buffet). For example, first I had a big salad then I had salmon, and vegetables. The hardest part was staying away from the dessert table. At the other parks I ate from the kids menu, I think it was Hollywood Studios where I ordered a kids turkey sandwich with carrot sticks. Just try to make the best choices, with all the walking you should be fine.
  • JustMichelleB
    Options

Grocery Delivery? Are you without a vehicle? If you are flying car rentals are very cheap, I know Disney Resorts offer free transportation to the parks but how will you go to Prime and Premium Outlets, Millennia Mall and Florida Malll?? You gotta shop on vaca!

If you are flying just stop in at a Walmart when you get there to get some cereal, milk and such. I love going to Walmart in the US b/c they have the odd thing we don't in Canada like Cherry Coke Zero, 35 cal bread and Fiber One Yogurt - the key lime one is to die for!

Check your hotel, they may have DVD players in the room, The Hard Rock does.

We are not renting a car. We are staying on Disney property and don't have any plans to leave. Honestly, I'm not going to Disney with my kids to go shopping (I can do that at home).
    While I could check out the DVD player thing, I'm assuming we're going to be walking a lot and I am not going to travel with my weights, etc anyway (-:
  • jessimurph
    jessimurph Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Turkey legs!

I'm pretty sure those turkey legs are over 1,000 a pop!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Disney has healthy snack carts placed around the parks that offers fruit, granola bars, yogurt and snacks of a healthier nature. It's hella expensive, like $3 for a big pickle, but at least you can snack on healthy options. There are a few restaurants throughout the park, and they have an ok selection of fare, but again, you won't be able to get a meal for less than $25. The food was a little bland IMO. I recommend getting to the park early, right at opening and spend half the day seeing the sights. Have a late lunch and take a nap then head back after dinner to see the light parade and fireworks.

If you can stay at one of the Disney Hotels, this is the best way to experience the park. I stayed at a hotel close by, but getting in and out of the parking structures took 20-30 minutes minimum. Then you have to wait for the trams to take you into the park proper, so expect at least an hour if you are driving to and from the park.
  • StilleNacht
    Options
    Eat them calories, girl!
    Dole Whip
    Ostrich from Jiko
    PB&J milkshake at 50's Primetime Café
    Breakfast Lasagna from Crystal Palace
    Corn dog nuggets from Casey's
    Mickey waffles!
    Seriously though. This is a vacation. I LOVE Disney food, and when I go in October, i'm using my Dining Plan to the fullest. Worry about nutrition facts when you get home. ;)
    The Brown Derby has the original Cobb salad. Seriously. They INVENTED it. Pricey? Yes. Oh God it's worth it though.
    Bistro De Paris has wonderful french cuisine.
    Enjoy!
  • AGreen54
    AGreen54 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    There is this restaurant in the Magic Kingdom called the Liberty Tree Tavern in Liberty Square and it has an amazing salad on the menu with apples, roasted walnuts, and a ton of other healthy stuff. I love getting it and they give you such a big serving that it keeps you feeling full.
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I love Disney!! :smile: I was there a year ago November. The food is pricey so I would suggest bringing snacks if you can. You will be walking a lot so have water with you and if you want to have nice dinners make sure you make reservations beforehand because they are booked all the time. Coral Reef was my favorite restaurant there (Epcot) and they had seafood and chicken if I remember right.

I LOVE Coral Reef! And Fulton's Crab House. =^_^=
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    There is this restaurant in the Magic Kingdom called the Liberty Tree Tavern in Liberty Square and it has an amazing salad on the menu with apples, roasted walnuts, and a ton of other healthy stuff. I love getting it and they give you such a big serving that it keeps you feeling full.

^^ This. Most favorite restaurant there. :) I love the salad!
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Giant smoked turkey leg.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Anything but Mickey... I hear he tastes funny.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Like everyone here said being your own snacks. I have brought a cooler, I also had a stroller I could store it in. My parents work there so I used to go alot. They Have water fountains, bring everyone a reusable bottle. Water is expensive as well. Have a blast. They sell salads and healthy items, just so pricey.
  • tanyaslosingit
    tanyaslosingit Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Going to Disney next week. Does anyone have any great "healthier" places/items to eat? :drinker:

I was just there a couple of weeks ago and eating healthy was a challenge: Understand that Disney World does not post nutritional information either at the restaurants or online. Portions are large and sometimes contain inexact measures of ingredients. You just kinda have to muddle though as best you can and hope all the walking around will counteract the calorie intake :-)

In the Animal Kingdom, we sat down at the Yak and Yeti Restaurant for "lunch." I put the word lunch in quotes because it was really a dinner scale meal. I had the Ahi Tuna Salad and the "slaw" covered a twelve inch plate, piled high and, was made with an aoili (?) dressing. There was a reasonable amount of tuna (4-6 ounces would be my best guess.) I also treated myself to a Sprite and fruit summer (non-alcoholic) drink. My best guess as to the calories consumed between these two items is in excess of 640 calories. There was nothing "bad" for me in the meal; but if I had to do it again, I would probably just order from the appetizer menu and stick to water.The food is really delicious; but definitely a challenge when you are trying to be good :-)

I realize no one forced me to eat the whole thing or order a Sprite; but I fell into the mistake of thinking that I was damn well going to eat it all considering what I paid for it! :-/