Men cooking....

Options
12346»

Replies

• ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to eat, so I do not see it as particularly feminine.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    If I told you that I cooked dinner while my wife hooked up our new surround sound system it would sound strange to most people. Not because either of us is incapable of doing those things, but because in our society they are viewed as outside usual gender roles.

I'm laughing at this because... This is what would happen at my house. I hate cooking, my husband hates tech stuff.
    Um, our house, too.

I can cook. I'm a "natural" cook. My Hubby is a great cook! He cooks most of our meals -- and cleans the kitchen!

I did hook up our Home Theater system. And our WiFi network. I used to write technical support articles on How to install/use technical items (cellphones, HT systems, etc.), and he used to make paper - and he hated it. He loves creating things in the kitchen, even more than I do!

When Julia Child learned to cook in France, she was the only woman in class.... women were generally Not Allowed to become chefs in Europe until recently.

Our boys can cook... and they all have very, very happy wives/girlfriends because of it!
  • rbvaudrizle
    rbvaudrizle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Throw out all male female roles out the window and allow your son to do what he wants to do. This bothers me because I am the one who picks up the kids from daycare and cooks dinner every night for them. I raised my brothers (they loved to eat btw) because I had to and now i am raising two kids. You never know what life will throw at you and what "life skills" you will need. If he wants to cook and enjoys it let him. A real man can do it all not because he has to but because he wants to.
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I love to cook and do a lot of it at our house! Encourage him to follow through with this! ...at the very least he will learn a skill that will make him more self reliant, he could be looking at career path that could take him all over the world. I think girls are impressed with a man that can cook too.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Not only does my husband cook, he does most of the cooking. He is, in fact, nearly as responsible for my weight loss as I am, because he's willing to do the measuring, the weighing, and the altering of recipes to make them good for me. He LOVES to cook. I say encourage your boy--it's not often kids find something that really appeals to them, really draws them. Learning to cook well, even learning to be a chef, can't be anything but good for him.

I'd be super proud if my boy showed the same interest.

Kris
  • mos1971
    mos1971 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Ive got a boy of 14 he is into gardening woodwork and anything he can do with his hands he can do the basics of cooking, if he came home and said i want to be a fashion designer, a chef, even a ballet dancer i would stick by what his desision would be. Kids choose the path they want to take we are there just to guide them on the way, they have to make the mistakes them selfs thats how we learn even if we know them to be the wrong desisions they are individuals. I wish him all the luck in the world and hope he becomes a world class chef. Good Luck
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It is easy for all of us to suggest that your husband is out of line and being inappropriate, but none of us have an insider's view of your family dynamic. Manhood is a complex ideal, and it can be very difficult for anyone to bring together the disparate ideas of what makes an ideal man.

Instead, I suggest that you find ways to reassure your husband of just how "manly" cooking can be. Encourage your son to cook with alcohol, a traditionally "manly" cooking method. Beer (stout) braised sausages are always a hit on game day, and they can be made well before the game and kept warm, meaning your son and still join in the "guy" aspects of the day. Just call them "beer sausages". Similarly, maybe his father can teach him how to grill a killer burger over charcoal. If his father doesn't know how to grill or BBQ, then they can learn together.

While you do this, also think about the messages you and others are sending your husband about his own manliness. If everyone insists that cooking is plenty manly, and he cannot cook, then he could easily be reading that as, "I am not many enough." Find ways to reassure him that he is still the masculine guy your married while your son finds a different path to manhood.
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I realized in reading these I failed to mention a VERY key part, the "royal fit" was not when the kids were home, so my son did not ever hear the conversation or my husbands opinion on it. And to my knowledge he has not said anything to him on it, and my son would have said something to me if he did. He is smart enough to know it would have hurt my son's feelings if he had went on about it in front of him. Ok, I think that is all. :smile:
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I disagree with your husband. Cooking is not a "feminine" thing for a man to do and if your son enjoys it, let him run with it like you have been. My wonderful man loves to cook and he is FAR from feminine. I think it's incredibly sexy and sweet that he enjoys doing it so much. And, truth be told, he's a better chef and baker than I. I'm okay with this :)

Some kids have a really hard time finding things they are really passionate about, so the fact that he's as young as he is and really excited about cooking is pretty awesome, I'd say. There are a lot of successful male chefs in our current society and I don't think any of them should be ridiculed for being feminine.

My very manly chef :D

285052_1679667651354_1827424043_1075426_2562855_n.jpg
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to nurture this talent. Keep in mind the more skill he has before entering culinary school the better off he’ll be. Get those 10,000 hours in now, and he’ll be a professional chef if that’s what he wants.