What are people doing: Counting calories or counting carbs?

Options
13»

Replies

• mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I count calories only. If I try to wory about any other catagories it gets too confusing

With 42 pounds loss I would not change a thing!!
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    I count FAT.

The more FAT the more weight I lose.

Took me a long time and a lot of experimentation to see that.

I can sometimes have 80 carb a day, and 350+ grams of fat, still be in ketosis and still lose weight.

Hunger? No thanks. I get hungry, I eat. I lose weight.

Non-fat fake dressings? No thanks

Skim milk with no flavor and no means to transport fat soluble vitamins? No thanks I drink 35% cream right from the jug sometimes

Funny enough by eating fat protein takes care of itself.
  • musdoit2
    musdoit2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I Have to watch Calories / Sodium and Carbs.. my losses work best when I am under 20 carbs per day
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Calories. I love carbohydrates and do not restrict them.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Calories and carbs for me

Although I am annoyed if I go over fat, even if it is from good sources
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I count Carbs only.

In my opinion it's the only way to live and enjoy your food! Lobster, steak, chicken, snow peas, wine, fats (in small amounts) strawberries....Yummmmm

Me, too! :drinker:
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just calories - I find that I get a good mix of fat, protein and carbs by watching calories. If I was only counting carbs, my fat would skyrocket and my gallbladder would be very unhappy.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I count carbs and I've lost 100 pounds
  • MzGreedii
    Options
    Calories, and then carbs
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Calories, plenty of protein, hit my targets for fat and carbs naturally anyway.

Why overcomplicate it?
  • ComeAroundSundown
    ComeAroundSundown Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Counting calories & trying to keep carbs <105g per day. If I do go over on carbs, I don't worry about it. I just have less the next day.
  • eksims1
    eksims1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm counting calories and so far it has been awesomely working for me. My boss on the other hand is counting carbs and that is working for her. I don't fully understand carb counting, so I'm gonna stick with what's easy, and working.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I count calories, but I also try to get a 40/30/30 split between carbs/protein/fat.

^^^ that's a lot of protein!
    Ha! My doc recommended 5/65/30 carbs/protein/fat for me. THAT'S a lot of protein. But it's worked wonders.

This subject is like any other on the forums: it will depend on your individual body. Some people can use the calories in / calories out model, that's all they need to watch and it works just fine for them. But other people can't lose weight unless they watch their sodium, or their protein, or their carbs.

Personally, my doc told me to eat my body weight in protein per day and stay under 30 g carbs. So those two are the things I worry about, I don't really pay attention to calories except to lower my total calorie goal each time I lose 20 lb.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Fats and sodium. If I can find a balance,
    I'm doing awesome. Never been big in
    to sweets, but I love bread, pasta, carbs.

Sorry, can't eat a stick of butter and not
    have a slice of bred. :sick:

With MFP, I now look at it all.