About to Call it Quits

Options
Not trying to hi-jack someone's thread so I made my own.

There are a lot of things factoring to this decision. Some of it comes from this community and other communities like LoseIt!. FitBit forums talk more about the product itself than actually dieting and weight loss.

Also I can't eat what I want when I want and how much I want. Probably why people ask when the baby is due. I get discourage when people yell at me for my opinion as if theirs is the only one that matter.

I know about portion control and dieting, eating right, working out, staying active, follow the rules, be a good girl, blah blah blah. Worse thing is when you ask a question and then get slammed with negativity. It's like those people that come to my school and say we're all going to hell.

You need to do this and avoid that, eat this spit out that, don't work too hard don't work too little. It's irritating, annoying, and I WANT A FREAKING HAMBURGER WITH LETTUCE, TOMATOES, PICKLES, AND LOAD AND LOADS OF KETCHUP AND MAYO! Even a Chicken and Bacon Ranch sub from SubWay is about 500+ calories with just chicken, bacon, and the ranch.

Walking ins't enough to burn calories, and can't afford a gym. And no I'm not about to run around my neighborhood and I kinda want to live to see my next birthday. Workout DvDs only work if you have room in your house to do so. Living with two other adults and 3 kids with only 2 working televisions doesn't give enough room to do half the moves these workout dvds say to do.

I feel sick and depressed. I can't target fat loss on one area like my stomach. I have to lose it all over. So 4 lbs of what seems like just water isn't going to make my stomach go away. And doing ab workouts will only build muscles UNDER the fat and make it poke out even more. I also realized I have fat on my back, how gross! I don't want to look all toned or defined so weight training ain't gonna happen. I already have big arms for some odd reason and tank tops or strapless dresses make me look weird.

I don't know how much longer I can go without seeing results. Nothing changed, not by the tape measure or the scale. My stomach and waist is actually getting bigger! I get down to 118 and then I jump back up to the 120s the next week. Cut out bread, cut out sugars, I haven't had a mountain dew in god knows how long. This may end up being my last weekend on this site, or any weight loss site.

Replies

• JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    You weigh in the 120's and are worried about living to see your next birthday? Did I read that correctly?
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    You weigh in the 120's and are worried about living to see your next birthday? Did I read that correctly?

I think she said she can't go out running in her neighborhood because she wants to live to see her next birthday.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that some people have been negative on the threads. I find that happens alot, plus there is lots of bad advice. Generally I keep away from the forums for that general reason. But the diary is a wonderful tool. And once you find some friends who have similar weightloss goals, its a nice boost to get some positive comments when you've done something well.

But the bottom line is this.....if losing weight was easy, there wouldn't be an obesity problem in many countries.
    If it were easy, we'd all be slim and gorgeous.

All I can say is if you find what you are doing isn't working, then you've got to change it up. Talk to your doctor about what is the best plan for you in order to reach your specific goals. Taking advice from strangers online isn't always helpful -though they do usually mean well.

Also, look for ways to take more control of your life and your health. You said you can't control how and when you eat, maybe you need to re-examine your daily schedule and get creative - like carrying a healthy snack in your purse or car to help you through, pack a lunch or dinner, etc.

You also have dismissed lots of options for exercise, but maybe do some research to figure out what will work for you before you give up.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best on your journey...
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Deleted my what could be perceived as negative comment. Or sarcastic , I don't know. Don't feel like getting reported for no reason. Your post is screaming negativity. Negativity attracts more negativity.
  • Kandace_Riopel
    Kandace_Riopel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    dont give up! .... just make it a lifestyle change and keep moving forward! .... as for the workout space. jillian michaels 30ds doesnt require alot of room and it works well for toning so at less that 15 bucks plus a set of 5 dollar 2lb weights from canadian tire it works easily into most lifestyles. its only 20 min and as long as you can do a jumping jack than there is enough space to do the video!
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    To me it seems that you are stressing yourself out trying to lose weight. You know I have figured out that sometimes dieting makes me nuts and then I end up defeating the entire purpose because I get pissed and then eat whatever.

So when I feel like that I just say OK for now I'm just going to eat healthy. Eat the burger every once in a while but I also will eat a grilled chicken sandwich. The soda well drink one - but not 5 . I drink diet soda I like it so I drink it.

the excercise seems to be an issue not sure what to say there just do your best , as far as support I have been around for a while and the internet can be mean. Go search out a group there are so many - find a group that has supportive people and hang out there.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    unless you want your hand held...Good bye, and good luck on your journey
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Giving up achieves nothing. If you quit now, you didn't want it enough.
  • Nahuachild
    Options
    ! i'M OVER FEELING THIS WAY AND LIFE IS A GIFT NO MATTER HOW ROUGH IT IS. WE ARE HERE TO LEARN TO LOVE OUR SELVES TO LEARN TO LOVE EACH OTHER. ITS GONNA B HARD NO MATTER WHAT THE WEIGHT IS, BUT YOU HAVE TO LOVE YOURSELF BEFORE YOU WILL SEE THAT YOUR BODY IS BEAUTIFUL. AND HONEY IF YOU REALLY WEIGH 120 YOU MUST B LIKE 4 FEET TO THINK YOU HAV A WEIGHT PROBLEM. LOVE YOURSELF. THE ONLY PERSON THAT IS GONNA MOTIVATE YOU IS YOU, WE CAN SUPPORT AND GIVE ENCOURAGEMENT BUT IT IS UP TO YOU. DONT GIVE UP NEVER GIVE UP... YOU QWE IT TO YOURSELF TO FIGHT FOR WHAT YOU WANT IN LIFE... YOU CAN ACHIEVE ANY THING YOU PUT THIS AMAZING PRECIOUS MIND TO. FOR REALS GIRL!! WITH BIG BEAUTIFUL LOVE
  • Slo83
    Slo83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Put on some music and dance your butt off. Hold a couple cans of soup while U do it. Get the kids dancing with you. Eating correctly is important too, but U can cheat sometimes when U just can't stand it anymore! hahaha
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound negative and I understand how frustrating it can be when you feel like you are trying hard and yet aren't seeing a difference on the scales, but at the same time, it pretty much sounds like you're making excuses not to do it.

As someone else said at 120, it doesn't sound like you really need to lose weight but since you feel you need to I'd think the first call should maybe be the doctor. If the weight isn't coming off and you are keeping your diet healthy it could be a health issue such as an underactive thyroid.

As for the exercise, I'm sure there's some way to get the exercise in. Walking does work, but you need to do more than a 15 minute stroll around. I went on holiday for a week, pigged out, eating out for lunch and dinner every day, eating chocolate, sweets, fizzy juice etc. but still managed to lose 2 lbs due to the fact that I walked all day on holiday. So, if you are eating healthy and walking for say, an hour, a day, then you'll probably see some weight loss. Does your school have a gym or a gym hall that you could use? Could you ask your family to give you twenty minutes a day to do a 30 Day Shred DVD? Do you have a back garden? You could buy a set of skipping ropes and skip outside-cheap, effective and doesn't take too much room.
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't quit. That said, you can't be a victim. We have a saying at work "no victims". There is always a reason not to do something. If you want to achieve something there is nothing in this world that can stop you and others can't do it for you. I hope you find that you want to be healthy more than your cheese burger and you achieve that goal.
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things that impede weight loss (like stress), but you can aim for a calorie deficit. You don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight, just eat a deficit. Try not to stress about what others say, and really you can eat anything you want, as long as it fits in you calories. Remember it is a long term commitment, not a short term goal. Keep at it and it will eventually go your way.
  • TSTagain
    TSTagain Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So sorry, you're feeling this way. It's not easy to lose weight and it's not fast but you've got to keep trying. I haven't lost a pound in over a month and I watch what I eat and get exercise atleast 5 days of the week - I think I am doing everything right but the scale hasn't budged. I am not giving up and neither should you, it's harder to lose the weight at 32 than it is at 22. My advice stay out of the forums, get yourself a supportive group of friends and keep logging your food, keep exercising (no room at home, take the stairs, walk around, stand up alot - it all adds up). You can do this, don't give up and dont get discouraged because of what you see in the forums - use this site as a tool to get to your goal and forget about everything else.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are already at a healthy weight, so why not stop weighing yourself and start looking in the mirror and developing a healthier mentality about this process and about yourself? You sound like a person who will be unhappy with themselves no matter what they weigh. So perhaps that is what you really need to change - your negative thoughts and how you feel. You choose what you think, how you feel, and how you let other people and events in your life effect you.

What about strength training? This is a great way to have healthy non-scale goals and successes, as well as one of the the best ways to lower body fat percentage.

You have your health and whole lot of life to look forward too. Don't start sh!tting on yourself and depriving yourself of happiness at only 22 years old.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are already at a healthy weight, so why not stop weighing yourself and start looking in the mirror and developing a healthier mentality about this process and about yourself? You sound like a person who will be unhappy with themselves no matter what they weigh. So perhaps that is what you really need to change - your negative thoughts and how you feel. You choose what you think, how you feel, and how you let other people and events in your life effect you.

What about strength training? This is a great way to have healthy non-scale goals and successes, as well as one of the the best ways to lower body fat percentage.

You have your health and whole lot of life to look forward too. Don't start sh!tting on yourself and depriving yourself of happiness at only 22 years old.

:drinker: GlaDos' advice is perfect. OP, I hope you listen to her.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is hard. Being fat is hard. Choose your hard.
  • Havend1
    Havend1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You weigh 120? If I weighed 120 I would be able o e anything I want! 120 is the perfect weight for me given my height 5'10
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I call BS..
    120 and a gut? And all this negative talk??
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how tall you are or how much you want to weigh. What is the desired weight for your height? Skin and bones is not great. Allow yourself some success at what you have done and the weight you have maintained. You need to start feeling good about your life and yourself...do something nice for just you that does not include food. Good luck