Soda. To drink or not to drink, that is the question

Options
12346»

Replies

• missbethea
    missbethea Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I used to drink tons of soda and sweet tea.

I haven't totally cut it out. But I usually only have one can of soda a week, and maybe a couple of glasses of tea. As with all other things, I drink it in moderation instead of exclusively.

I prefer water most of the time, though. I find it quenches the thirst better.
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I gave it up for Lent a couple years back as well - maybe the same year you did. I was drinking a ton of diet coke - and then even Monster and Red Bull drinks, too. Gave it up and hardly ever drink it - maybe once every couple months at a restaurant, but I never even finish it. Lately, however, I have just been ordering water. The more "clean" I have been eating, the less I order the crap stuff. :)

That's a good thing, right?
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    I have for the most part. I still occasionally will have a sip or two, since my husband is a caffeine addict and has to have it in the house 24/7. I gave it up about 2 years ago for health reasons (high blood pressure and migraines), and while I will occasionally crave the taste-- I almost instantly regret it if I give in. I can feel the effects right away. It's crazy how used to it you become when you're drinking it on a regular basis.

Of course, now that I am counting my calories and actively trying to lose weight (Rather than just wishing it away. LOL.) I am twice as sure that I never want to go back to soda drinking. It's not worth the calories! It *does* help that I'm super sensitive to sugar-substitutes. Even if I wanted diet soda, I couldn't have it. So it has to be all or nothing for me. But I'm incredibly glad to have kicked the habit. Now if I feel like drinking my calories, I can splurge on some Dark Chocolate Almond Silk. Delicious!
  • Kayla165
    Kayla165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    No I have not nor do I intend to stop drinking soda. I allow myself to have one can of Dr. Pepper a day.
  • MissMouse85
    MissMouse85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think of soda like a treat now-- okay to have once in awhile but not something to drink every day. :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Yep. I was drinking both regular and diet soda and when I started looking at MFP and counting calories, I decided I needed all my calories from food and was willing to give up soda since I didn't feel like I was getting anything nutritionally from it. The only time I've had it in the past 10 months was a little 7up when I had a stomach bug. I don't miss it at all.
  • mammafrog
    mammafrog Posts: 176
    Options
    I was a 2 liter a day kind of girl. I had my last coke on Christmas 2011. It has been almost a month and I am proud
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Not a huge fan of pop anyways. There is way too much sugar in it.

On the occasion I will have a nice tall glass of coke with lots of ice. That is only a treat though... The rest of the time I drink water.
  • slocean
    Options
    Don't drink it!
    I haven't had a regular soda in years, and once every few months will have a diet soda (I do still like root beer and cream soda so i sometimes like to splurge). I do however, usually regret the full, yucky feeling i get afterwards...
    Regular soda is full of sugar and diet soda is full of fake sugar. Not good for the healthy body!
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I gave it up years ago and switched to just water, diet green tea, and coffee. Now that I'm at a new job that I work swing shifts I drink a diet pepsi from time to time for the caffeine. I want to get back to water, diet green tea and coffee again.
  • ericcumbee
    ericcumbee Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I gave up coca cola about 6 months ago, switched to drinking coke zeros and then found out how bad the aspartame is for you, and gave those up. the last time i had a soft drink was back in the fall when i went to my alma maters football game and ordered a coke zero for the stadium cup and it really didnt taste that good to me.

ive been drinking alot more bottled water, and am hooked on the Great Value Strawberry Kiwi low calorie drink mixes. its sweetened with Stevia, and the instructions say to put in a 16.9 oz bottle of water, but I've been using the larger 23.7 oz bottles so i feel like i have found a little cheat to help myself out. but 30 calories is hard to beat for me.
  • kat2475
    kat2475 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've tried so many times to give up Diet Coke and fail every time. I'm getting ready to try again. At this point, I feel like it's the last component of my unhealthy ways that is still lingering. I've had the power to change the food I eat and the amount of activity I do. I feel more prepared to tackle the Diet Coke addiction now.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I was a Diet Coke head. I now have one twice a month and usually just for some caffeine to make it through a 12 hour day. I prefer Earl Grey without any sweetener. But when all else fails, a single Diet Coke.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I did drink regular pepsi all of my life. There were times on weekends when I would drink 6-packs of pepsi a day on weekends.
    Since I started this journey of lifestyle changes at the beginning of this year, I have almost eliminated soda out of my diet. I haven't been able to completely eliminate it. I now just drink a can of soda about 3-4 times a week.
    I don't like the taste of diet soda.
  • pepper396
    Options
    I gave up soda entirely.... just last night I had my first craving and taste of Diet Dr Pepper had a few sips and threw the rest out. It has been almost 2 months since I have wanted a full bottle of soda. I think giving it up is great and you will not miss it, but if you need a sip as a treat once in a while do it.