HRM Cals Burned - Fitness experts advice please!

Options
13»

Replies

• mike41french
    mike41french Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In amongst all of this you have had the correct advice. It might be considered making things complicated but if you want to eat as close to your target calories as possible (which you do if you are in a plateau or close to your target) then it is important to deal with the complexity.

So here is an example I used in a thread yesterday...

My suggested BMR = 2400
    Exercise = 600 cals
    Duration = 60 minutes

60 minutes of my BMR = (2400 / 24) 100 cals - these are what is being described as background calories in this thread

Net exercise is (600 - 100) 500.

I could easily have between 60 and 90 minutes exercise a day - which could result in 700-1000 calories of difference over a week. I'd rather get it as accurate as possible - especially down at the 0.5-1lb per week loss or maintenance.

That said your daily activity varies as well which is why I'm now adding a fitbit to my gadgets. Today I'm on an 1840 target (-500 cals deficit) and I added another 634 through HRM monitored exercise and another 650 in general activity tracked by the fitbit (above sedentary).

You'll never be 100% but I do think it is worth being as close as you can - for when you get to maintenance. The more you understand about your body, metabolism and exercise the better - IMVHO.
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options
    It's probably best to start eating mindfully and listening to your body. If you eat foods that are nutrient-dense and high quality, and eat them slowly enough that your body triggers you when you are full, you're better off than just counting calories alone. Be mindful of the numbers, but also be mindful of what you put in your body and what you body is telling you about how it feels (whether it's full, tired, thirsty, etc). You'll go farther that way rather than nitpicking over 50 - 100 calories.