tips to get fit and toned in less than 6 weeks?

Options

Replies

• ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of women using Chalean Extreme by Chalene Johnson. I would try it, but the whole package is a little expensive for me. I usually stick to the Jillian Michaels DVDs because she requires little to no equipment. Good for my budget :-)
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    My, my, children. Let's play nice.

Even if you do a half @$$ mockup for vacation, chances are that you're gonna be hooked and by summer, $eXY!

I'd start with Jillian Michaels, as much as I hate her. Sinc eyou aren't looking for for weight loss, just toning, I think in six weeks, you'll see some great results. I second the notion of eating a ton of protein, and a ton of water, and go for it. :)

( btw, i got the first week of Jillian Michaels on youtube )
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    BMI and body fat aren't the same thing. BMI is just a height to weight ratio. BF% is the actual amount of fat on the body... someone with lower body fat will look smaller and tighter at the same weight as someone with more body fat. For instance, when I lost weight last time by just cutting my calories a lot, I was a size 8 at 130#. This time around, with a small calorie deficit and exercise (strength training and cardio), I'm a size 2 or 4 at 130#. I have the same BMI, but much lower body fat percentage.

so how do i figure out what my bod fat % is?

I've recently lost 2.2 lbs this past week...so I am at 118.8 lbs and 5'4"...MFP has me at 1200 cal so you are saying I should eat more than that?
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    I've seen a lot of women using Chalean Extreme by Chalene Johnson. I would try it, but the whole package is a little expensive for me. I usually stick to the Jillian Michaels DVDs because she requires little to no equipment. Good for my budget :-)

I hear ya...it's a bit much for mine as well...going to try kettle bell routine and zumba 2x/week and weights and jillian however I can fit all that in...
  • s_waser
    s_waser Posts: 92
    Options
    bump
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    My, my, children. Let's play nice.

Even if you do a half @$$ mockup for vacation, chances are that you're gonna be hooked and by summer, $eXY!

I'd start with Jillian Michaels, as much as I hate her. Sinc eyou aren't looking for for weight loss, just toning, I think in six weeks, you'll see some great results. I second the notion of eating a ton of protein, and a ton of water, and go for it. :)

( btw, i got the first week of Jillian Michaels on youtube )

Thanks for the support :) I've been doing jillian michaels the last 3 weeks and definitely feel more tone but no where near as much as I want to be...but I know that will take time..I do see results with her though so I'll stick with it...going to add a kettlebells routine in maybe 2x a week and zumba 2x a week...just wondering what my calories should be at then...I'm at 1200 now with MFP...not sure how much protein I'm really taking in now or how much I should be either...
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    bump

I keep seeing this...I'm new to message boards so would you mind explaining to me what this means? lol
  • Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Give INSANITY a try. I am on day 7 (Rest day since INSANITY gives 1 rest day a week) and it is AMAZING. It will push you past your limits, but it will be worth it in the long run and it will give you the results you want. Good luck.

yea i;ve seen that one too..don't know if I have that type of workout in me I have to be honest...I know that sounds weak but I just don't know if I could do that and stick to it

luls. love this!! "oh hai guys, do you have anything to help me get fit and sexy in six weeks?? but nothing too hard, ok?? kthanxbai"

oh that's supportive...why bother posting if you have nothing productive to say..I have a back and neck injury and that is why I said that but thanks for the negative reply...

you're welcome!!!

i actually love giving advice to my friends on here, and they take it all in. but the thing i stress the most is that it takes time, energy, dedication, and discipline. not half assing it for 6 weeks for a vacation.

i've inspired many of my friends here to lift and run. to sign up for mud runs and triathlons. but that doesn't come easy, and they certainly take longer then six weeks to train.

Always cracks me up when someone is rude, is called on it, and then rather than apologize later explain their rudeness by saying how in other posts they are helpful -- though for some inexplicable reason are not here -- b/c at heart they really just want to help the masses. "I know I am rude, but I am because here is what I think." Really????
  • HendersonDavid
    Options
    http://www.bodyrock.tv/
    currently has a 30 day challenge going on with fitness routes and their diet. There are new hosts doing the exercises/ routes.
    (in short, if your looking for Zuzana, original host, the co-founders parted ways and she now has her own fitness routes called ZWOD)

also
    ZWOD
    part 1
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=69ol43VYgr8
    part 2
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLzxAgZGHbM
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    Always cracks me up when someone is rude, is called on it, and then rather than apologize later explain their rudeness by saying how in other posts they are helpful -- though for some inexplicable reason are not here -- b/c at heart they really just want to help the masses. "I know I am rude, but I am because here is what I think." Really????
    [/quote

haha thank you...that's pretty much how i felt :) though at one point he did end up apologizing...so forgive and forget...not worth it :)
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    http://www.bodyrock.tv/
    currently has a 30 day challenge going on with fitness routes and their diet. There are new hosts doing the exercises/ routes.
    (in short, if your looking for Zuzana, original host, the co-founders parted ways and she now has her own fitness routes called ZWOD)

also
    ZWOD
    part 1
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=69ol43VYgr8
    part 2
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLzxAgZGHbM

awesome thanks I'll check all that out..never heard of any of that :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    lulz
  • dfulgoni
    dfulgoni Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'd second the earlier response on kettlebell training. I discovered it about a year and a half ago and it's now a regular part of my training. I'd bought a couple of DVD's to help get my wife going on it and she'd seen noticeable results after a few weeks. The best thing is that it combines cardio and resistance, so it's very efficient. You can also knock out an effective workout within 20-30 minutes (but it WILL be intense, so be prepared).

The DVD's that I'd purchased were from Sarah Lurie. I think they were called Iron Core, or something to that effect. Just do a search for her on Amazon and you should find them. I'd recommend Volume 1 and the Express DVD's. Vol 1. is a good introduction and teaches you the movements (and has a good beginner workout which is around 30 minutes). Express is more intense, but gets it done in about 20 minutes. Sarah is RKC certified, her instruction is top notch. Very important as you really need to do the movements correctly in order to avoid injury (don't worry, they're not complicated, you just want to make sure you take the time to learn them and start slow). My wife really like these DVD's and I actually use them from time to time as well when I get bored with my regular routines.

Just set your expectations properly. 6 weeks isn't a very long time, but I'm pretty confident that you'd see results if you were to get in 3 or 4 KB circuits a week (and eat properly too!).

Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    weight training! The more muscle you build, the more calories you will burn even at rest. Plus it will give you that nice toned look we all want! the trick is not to fall into the "lots of reps, low weight" thing that women have been buying into for years. You want a high weight, high enough that by the time you are on your 9th rep you can barely stand to lift it one more time... this will give you some sexy muscle tone in your arms and legs and really turn some heads when you walk by in a tank top! Have fun!

I totally agree with this! I'm going on vacation in a month, so I want to be tone as well. I'm 5'4" and about 133 now. I've really been stepping up on my weightlifting. I just moved up to 10 lb weights this past week and I feel I'm getting tone and strong quickly. I'd rather do a heavier weight and really feel it burn than do a lot of reps of a smaller weight. I've also been pushing up my resistance on the elliptical for my legs too. Good Luck! :happy:
  • melrose09
    melrose09 Posts: 271
    Options
    there is so much hype about the new way to work out..my suggestion, use your body as resistance. you seem to be at your goal weight so basic push ups, squats, lounges and sit ups and some cardio (jumping rope is my favorite) should do the job. i would create a circuit and do them all in 30 second intervals. 30 secs for each exercise, then throw in some cardio, rest for 30 secs and do it again for 30 minutes, it will be a quick workout but you will see amazing results..that is if you are eating right:)

This is pretty similar to what I do 2-3 times a week and then I run for 30-45 minutes 3 days a week and I'm done to 12% body fat. But to really see results in that short amount of time, you're going to have to push yourself really hard and watch what you eat. I have a few circuits of about 8 exercises each that I rotate out. I'd be willing to send them to you, if you'd like. Some require some dumbbells and an exercise ball, but a good majority are just your own body weight. If your doubting whether or now you can stick to it for 6 weeks, maybe check out the motivation room or even check out some of the success stories for that extra little push. SInce your at your goal weight, I wouldn't do a calorie restriction, but just stay away from sugar and processed stuff. I
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    lulz

what does lulz mean?
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    I'd second the earlier response on kettlebell training. I discovered it about a year and a half ago and it's now a regular part of my training. I'd bought a couple of DVD's to help get my wife going on it and she'd seen noticeable results after a few weeks. The best thing is that it combines cardio and resistance, so it's very efficient. You can also knock out an effective workout within 20-30 minutes (but it WILL be intense, so be prepared).

The DVD's that I'd purchased were from Sarah Lurie. I think they were called Iron Core, or something to that effect. Just do a search for her on Amazon and you should find them. I'd recommend Volume 1 and the Express DVD's. Vol 1. is a good introduction and teaches you the movements (and has a good beginner workout which is around 30 minutes). Express is more intense, but gets it done in about 20 minutes. Sarah is RKC certified, her instruction is top notch. Very important as you really need to do the movements correctly in order to avoid injury (don't worry, they're not complicated, you just want to make sure you take the time to learn them and start slow). My wife really like these DVD's and I actually use them from time to time as well when I get bored with my regular routines.

Just set your expectations properly. 6 weeks isn't a very long time, but I'm pretty confident that you'd see results if you were to get in 3 or 4 KB circuits a week (and eat properly too!).

Hope this helps! Good luck!

That's great I will check her out..I found one by angie miller that got some great reviews..haven't heard of this one...will check it out...I appreciate your help :)
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    This is pretty similar to what I do 2-3 times a week and then I run for 30-45 minutes 3 days a week and I'm done to 12% body fat. But to really see results in that short amount of time, you're going to have to push yourself really hard and watch what you eat. I have a few circuits of about 8 exercises each that I rotate out. I'd be willing to send them to you, if you'd like. Some require some dumbbells and an exercise ball, but a good majority are just your own body weight. If your doubting whether or now you can stick to it for 6 weeks, maybe check out the motivation room or even check out some of the success stories for that extra little push. SInce your at your goal weight, I wouldn't do a calorie restriction, but just stay away from sugar and processed stuff. I
    [/quote]

my goal weight was actually 110 lbs... I weighed this last spring and was much happier but honestly if I'm fit, toned and comfortable then that's all I am worried about...MFP has me at 1200 cal/day to lose weight...so maybe amp that up a bit you're saying? I'd love to see the circuits thank you :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    BMI and body fat aren't the same thing. BMI is just a height to weight ratio. BF% is the actual amount of fat on the body... someone with lower body fat will look smaller and tighter at the same weight as someone with more body fat. For instance, when I lost weight last time by just cutting my calories a lot, I was a size 8 at 130#. This time around, with a small calorie deficit and exercise (strength training and cardio), I'm a size 2 or 4 at 130#. I have the same BMI, but much lower body fat percentage.

so how do i figure out what my bod fat % is?

I've recently lost 2.2 lbs this past week...so I am at 118.8 lbs and 5'4"...MFP has me at 1200 cal so you are saying I should eat more than that?

The most accurate ways are by getting a dexa scan or bod pod test. Other ways are with scales that calculate your BF%, which aren't terribly accurate, by having someone do skin fold tests with calipers, or with online calculators, which again are just estimates and may or may not be accurate. A lot of people seem to like this one: http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

Or go by the mirror and compare to the photoson this page: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages There's photos of women lower down on the page.

What's your weekly goal on here? As small as you are, you shouldn't be aiming for any more than .5# a week, which should put you at more than 1200 calories. Personally, I'd leave it set to maintain your current weight, but I don't like how I look below 120#. I was about 110# or less through my mid 20s. I'm actually able to wear many of the same clothes now around 130#, so I'm the same size, but not bony or angular. The width of my hip bones, rib cage and shoulders won't allow me to wear smaller clothes, even if I lost more weight. :tongue:
  • JennyBB125
    Options
    Ithink you will definitely see a difference in 6 weeks. I small perdson like you or me will notice a difference. I increased calories but not really carbs and oils I increase my calories with mostly protein like lean meats (although I did awful over the weekend. I continued with cardio but I just cut it down a little because I still believe you have to keep the fat off to get to the muscle. I think with cardio and strength training you more likely to see progress faster. Plus if you say you want to lose a few more to get to your goal then I would also continue cardio. I like 30 day shred but Im more motivated to go to the gym with my friend that use a dvd in my house.