how to sucessfully maintain a 1200 cal. diet

Options
trea16
trea16 Posts: 26 Member
Anyone out there been able to maintain a 1200 cal. diet?

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I do. Feel free to add me and look at my diaries.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You don't have to. For most people that are on 1200 cals, it is not the best intake for them, most chose a weekly weight loss goal that is too aggressive. Here is a guide for setting weekly deficits, and on top of this when you workout you should eat those calories back. So if you are on 1200 cals and burn 300, you should eat 1500 for the day.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I did until very recently when I started to find it harder. The way I did it was to eat my exercise cals back. So if I wanted to eat more then I exercised more to earn the calories.
  • Yvesdiva
    Yvesdiva Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do it by making sure I workout daily. Yesterday, I ate 2 mini muffins, but I worked out for 65 minutes, and then did floor exercises for another 10. So, I'm not actually maintaining the 1200, but with the caloric deficit from the workout, I always come in under my calorie goal.
  • Richdogg38
    Options
    I try to stay at 1,200 - 1,350 as I get my best results. I did spend a month eating 1,800 per day though. I wish I had a clear cut way to stay there (1,200) but I just truly watch what I eat and I have learned to grab things that are going to make me full.
  • sexyminxinthemaking
    sexyminxinthemaking Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    i struggle to get to 1200 cals some days over days i go just a tad over but i find it quite easy to stick to 1200 as a rule
  • dkljj
    dkljj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I struggle with that too, especially on a day I spin. I do better when I add nuts to my snacks. Any healthy oil would do the same ,but I like chewing my fat, almonds :)
  • ashleyclark12
    Options
    I do and I just really use portion control. I try to keep my breakfast between 100-300 and I eat lunch as my highest caloric meal so that I can work it out when I exercise.

13481533.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Yes.

The trick is to take your time in dropping your calories down. I started by loggin what I was eating and not worrying about the total calories, then the next week, drop 200 calories off each day, then 100 the following week, etc. This allows you to slowly get used to it.

Now I have a hard time eating large meals.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    You don't have to. For most people that are on 1200 cals, it is not the best intake for them, most chose a weekly weight loss goal that is too aggressive. Here is a guide for setting weekly deficits, and on top of this when you workout you should eat those calories back. So if you are on 1200 cals and burn 300, you should eat 1500 for the day.

this^
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    If you must do the 1200 (do your BMR first) then add in 30 minutes of exercise and eat your exercise calories back as recommended.
  • Jenn638
    Jenn638 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i try. i usually am over by 20-90. and i eat my exercise calories back. its really nice to be able to enjoy the extra calories knowing that i worked hard for them. I think it takes a couple of days for you to get used to eating less than what you were, so it should feel hard eating that little. but you get used to it. some days 1200 feels like a lot of food, and others after a long run it feels like not nearly enough.
  • jlynn1001
    Options

^^^ exactly, but most people wont understand that. In the way of dieting many think less is more and with exercise more is better, both are untrue.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I try to stay at 1,200 - 1,350 as I get my best results. I did spend a month eating 1,800 per day though. I wish I had a clear cut way to stay there (1,200) but I just truly watch what I eat and I have learned to grab things that are going to make me full.

Wow, I would be careful, you are going to lose a lot of lean muscle eating so little. A man should not get getting less than 1500 Net (1500 plus eat back what you burn), otherwise you will not be getting the required amount of micro and macro nutrients to fuel your body.
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Richgreen, as a guy do you find a 1200 cal diet works? No issues with plateaus or slower metabolism?
    Just interested as most men are not recommended below 1500 (girls get 1200). I am on about a similar level and struggling to eat more than 1200 now...

Erickirb makes a good point but I am eating v healthy and a few nutrient supplements getting all the nutrients I need.
  • hofosho1020
    Options
    I have been since November, doing OK with it. Now I'm seeing a plateau type thing, and I'm thinking I might need to up my cals a bit.
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If you eat more pure proteins- like eggs, chicken, fish , meat-- and less carbs-- your calories will drop a lot.
  • jacalou
    jacalou Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruits and vegetables, low fat proteins, and lots of water. The fruits and veggies keep you feeling satisfied... Good luck. :smile:
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have not. My brief stint with Jenny Craig had me on 1200 a day and I was one miserable, weak woman. I found that at 1400, though, I was happy and able to exercise and lose as high as 2.5 pounds weekly. That said, everyone is different and there are many people who can make it work with 1200.
  • JoanneLynn
    JoanneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm 5.2 and if I want to loose weight I have to stick to close to 1200 calories a day to loose 0.9 pounds per week. If I exercise, I eat back some of my calories if I am hungry. I loose about 3 pounds a month.