how to sucessfully maintain a 1200 cal. diet

Options

Replies

• TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Maybe that is what is happening to me...I have been losing for two weeks straight at 2 lbs per week weight loss. I am doing the 1200 daily and I work out about one hour a day and I eat them back...maybe I shouldn't eat them back. Confused about this stuff and some what disappointed that I worked extremely hard last week and I ate the calories I burned and I gained 1 1/2 lbs back. Please help anybody.

It could be, or it could also be that your muscles need a break. I know when I work out hard, the next day the scale goes up, because my muscles retained water and need to relax for a day.
  • Smithvalerie
    Smithvalerie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Maybe that is what is happening to me...I have been losing for two weeks straight at 2 lbs per week weight loss. I am doing the 1200 daily and I work out about one hour a day and I eat them back...maybe I shouldn't eat them back. Confused about this stuff and some what disappointed that I worked extremely hard last week and I ate the calories I burned and I gained 1 1/2 lbs back. Please help anybody.

It could be, or it could also be that your muscles need a break. I know when I work out hard, the next day the scale goes up, because my muscles retained water and need to relax for a day.

Yea, maybe so! I will do that and see what happens...Thanks!!
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there been able to maintain a 1200 cal. diet?
    I am at 1200 cals. Fell free to add me if you like.
  • trea16
    trea16 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    [quotelol!!!]
    I didnt know that I could eat those cals. back after exercise. This might help out quite a bit.

Eating exercise calories back doesn't work for everyone. I get a lot of people suggest it and so does MFP, but for me it never has worked, I always gain when I try to eat them back. Each person is different, so my advice is to play with it and find out what works best for you. Every time I've tried to eat more then 1200 I've gained as well, again I had to play with it.

Actually it works for everyone who does not have a slow metabolism or thyroid issue. Most likely the issue with it not working is you are either over estimating your calories burned (not using a HRM), or under estimating what you actually ate (not measuring liquids and weighing solid foods) Other than that, you must eat them back to meet your goal deficit.

Or she could be gaining muscle.

If I had to eat 1200 a day and could not eat back my exercise calories, I would not exercise. :D
    [/quote]
  • trea16
    Options
    [quotelol!!!]
    I didnt know that I could eat those cals. back after exercise. This might help out quite a bit.

Eating exercise calories back doesn't work for everyone. I get a lot of people suggest it and so does MFP, but for me it never has worked, I always gain when I try to eat them back. Each person is different, so my advice is to play with it and find out what works best for you. Every time I've tried to eat more then 1200 I've gained as well, again I had to play with it.

Actually it works for everyone who does not have a slow metabolism or thyroid issue. Most likely the issue with it not working is you are either over estimating your calories burned (not using a HRM), or under estimating what you actually ate (not measuring liquids and weighing solid foods) Other than that, you must eat them back to meet your goal deficit.

Or she could be gaining muscle.

If I had to eat 1200 a day and could not eat back my exercise calories, I would not exercise. :D
    [/quote]

LOL!!
  • trea16
    Options
    I do within reason, been doing it for about 3 months now. I found it really hard to start with as i did not reduce it down slowly, so not only did i cut out all the stuff i loved to eat, but halved my intake. Stupid really, but fortunatly i was so focused i stuck with it, but the slow steady approach is far better.

After a couple of weeks i got into the swing of it. It is finding a level of what you like, mixed in with really healthy stuff. I eat a lot of chicken and veg and throw in upto 200 calories of bad stuff, such as chocolate etc if i want it.

I aim for the 1200 net a day if i do not exercise and upto 1400 net if i exercise. 1200 on days i work out just is not enough, i can really feel it in my legs (i only work out lightly at the minute) but the big thing for me is not feeling guilty if am under or over on a day, i use 1200 to aim for, it is not a golden rule that you must stick to.

Once i have lost another 14lbs i am upping mine as i hope to be a lot fitter and will do more exercise and will want to build muscle, so i do not see it as a long term for life figure.

1200 just does not work for everyone, but it is a place to start, take a few weeks to figure it out, once you get it right you will be dropping pounds. If need to be at 1600 what does it matter if you are losing weight.

Allow yourself a while to figure out what you want and like to eat, what you can and cannot leave out . Try new stuff, found a love of a couple of veggies and a few other things i would not have normally eaten. Now a fan of celeraic.

Take your time and enjoy the process, if you do not enjoy it you wont stick to it.

• trea16
    Options
    I do within reason, been doing it for about 3 months now. I found it really hard to start with as i did not reduce it down slowly, so not only did i cut out all the stuff i loved to eat, but halved my intake. Stupid really, but fortunatly i was so focused i stuck with it, but the slow steady approach is far better.

After a couple of weeks i got into the swing of it. It is finding a level of what you like, mixed in with really healthy stuff. I eat a lot of chicken and veg and throw in upto 200 calories of bad stuff, such as chocolate etc if i want it.

I aim for the 1200 net a day if i do not exercise and upto 1400 net if i exercise. 1200 on days i work out just is not enough, i can really feel it in my legs (i only work out lightly at the minute) but the big thing for me is not feeling guilty if am under or over on a day, i use 1200 to aim for, it is not a golden rule that you must stick to.

Once i have lost another 14lbs i am upping mine as i hope to be a lot fitter and will do more exercise and will want to build muscle, so i do not see it as a long term for life figure.

1200 just does not work for everyone, but it is a place to start, take a few weeks to figure it out, once you get it right you will be dropping pounds. If need to be at 1600 what does it matter if you are losing weight.

Allow yourself a while to figure out what you want and like to eat, what you can and cannot leave out . Try new stuff, found a love of a couple of veggies and a few other things i would not have normally eaten. Now a fan of celeraic.

Take your time and enjoy the process, if you do not enjoy it you wont stick to it..

I think thats the key enjoying it and not beating myself up. Then I become the emotional eater.
  • sergetns73
    sergetns73 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    i guess i better change my goal then , i want to loose 17 lbs on a 1200 cal a day , it has not been possible yet to not go over 1200 cal a day dammit , what should i do ? ps are you a Canadian too ?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    i guess i better change my goal then , i want to loose 17 lbs on a 1200 cal a day , it has not been possible yet to not go over 1200 cal a day dammit , what should i do ? ps are you a Canadian too ?

with only 17lbs to go your goal should be between 0.5 and 1.0 lbs/week and you should also be eating back the calories that you burn. this way you will retain most of your lean mass instead of losing a large % of muscle.

Not sure who you were asking, but yes I am from Canada (east coast, Halifax , NS).
  • Skinny_Kitty
    Skinny_Kitty Posts: 136 Member
    Options

I'm the same way. I can not eat back my exercise calories... it's like there was no reason for me to workout as I dont lose anything when I do that! I eat 1450 a day and strive to workout at least 4 days a week for 25-30 mins now (I'm just starting) and in 2 weeks my goal is 1 hr a day for 4 days.
  • loreezjeep
    Options
    I have been on 1200 cals for three weeks and have lost 6 pounds. That is a very acceptable rate of loss for me, since my goal was 31 pounds. I have not found it difficult at all, and in reality I am eating more than I was before. Just eating better. They key is to be mindful of how you use that 1200 calories. I eat alot of raw veggies and lean meats. I also have snacks (almonds, pistachios, yogurt, etc)... the key for me is to keep eating throughout the day and not eat all my calories in big meals!
  • noiva
    noiva Posts: 94
    Options
    I'm at 1300 but am sometimes stretching to even get there. I eat very low calorie foods. My diary is public if you want to take a look.
  • jennilovesryan
    Options
    it doesn't suck for me unless i want to drink. then that junk starts to get complicated.
  • conchwatts
    Options
    I've been on the 1200 cal diet for about a week now. Usually, I go over 1200 cal but I include exercise which usually brings me back under the 1200 cal goal. My problem, I think, is too many carbs. I have to cut down on the carb intake.
  • Sparren
    Sparren Posts: 106
    Options
    I always have a good breakfast, and I will plan what I'm having for dinner and enter that in the morning. That way, I"m left with X calories that I can consume during the day without going over. Nothing worse that pootling along all day then finding there are no calories left for dinner!
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I am on a 1200 cal diet. Feel free to add me and look through my diary for an food inspirations, though they're all very basic. :P
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I am on the 1200 calories as well. I decided to not worry so much about my calories but the choices I make. I get more fresh fruit and veggies in and I feel good about it. If I go over 1200 I am ok with it. I didn't get fat eating carrots
  • debte
    debte Posts: 4
    Options
    The secret to being successful is to plan, plan, plan! I end each day with planning my food diary for the next day. If I put in what I am going to eat, I can see the calorie content before I begin the day. If I see I have planned too many calories, then I adjust accordingly by deleting some foods and switching to something else. If I don't plan, iIknow I will over eat my calories.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I have no issues normally, although I do work out as well so that helps maintaining everything.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Know your own body. When I don't eat enough calories, I notice that my energy level during exercise isn't there. I just can't get as intense as I would like.