how to sucessfully maintain a 1200 cal. diet

Options

Replies

• Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Please read my blog, I explain the whole NET calories thing, as well as discuss my personal experience with starvation and the dangers of certain attitudes towards food.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Quasita/view/let-s-be-truly-honest-about-starvation-mode-199121
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I think there are a few key things:

1) eat good foods - fresh veg, lean meat etc. Junk foods or even the healthier pre-prepared foods can be either high is calories or don't keep you full for long, or, usually, both. Eating better quality food keeps you fuller, longer.

2) exercise and eat back your exercise calories. If you are using an HRM you are probably good to eat back all of them, if using MFP's calorie calculator, eat back around 75% as it tends to give high burns for some reason

3) drink a lot of water, at least the 8oz recommended, it really ndoes keep you going between meals
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    That is my goal for weight loss mode. I try but usually go over a bit. I'm still losing though.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm only able to maintain a 1200 cal diet if I workout so I can eat those extra calories, otherwise I go over........
  • deb_rn
    deb_rn Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I stuck to 1200 most of the time until I lost the amt of weight that I needed to lose (that took from March-Nov) That being said, I always ate my exercise calories back. Eating protein like almonds, greek yogurt, etc, helped to keep me from feeling so hungry. Good luck!
  • butterflyqueen1984
    butterflyqueen1984 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I didnt know that I could eat those cals. back after exercise. This might help out quite a bit.

Eating exercise calories back doesn't work for everyone. I get a lot of people suggest it and so does MFP, but for me it never has worked, I always gain when I try to eat them back. Each person is different, so my advice is to play with it and find out what works best for you. Every time I've tried to eat more then 1200 I've gained as well, again I had to play with it.

I never count my walking to and from work as exercise as I do it everyday, only eat back the calories on real work outs (my dancing and swimming etc), I do feel I am loosing a bit but I really don't want to weigh myself yet!
  • mazzy72
    mazzy72 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump to read later ! ;)
  • Richdogg38
    Options
    I try to stay at 1,200 - 1,350 as I get my best results. I did spend a month eating 1,800 per day though. I wish I had a clear cut way to stay there (1,200) but I just truly watch what I eat and I have learned to grab things that are going to make me full.

Richgreen, as a guy do you find a 1200 cal diet works? No issues with plateaus or slower metabolism?
    Just interested as most men are not recommended below 1500 (girls get 1200). I am on about a similar level and struggling to eat more than 1200 now...

Erickirb makes a good point but I am eating v healthy and a few nutrient supplements getting all the nutrients I need.
    Put it this way, when I was over that I stayed at 212 for a solid month. I dialed it back to the 1200 - 1350 mark and lost 2lbs in a week. Lets see what happens this week. If I lose 2 more this week then I am going to ride it out for another 20lbs. My goal is to do this (1200-1350) for one month and see what happens.

If it works for you. Just keep in mind that a good portion of those 2lbs is likely from lean muscle, not just your fat stores. You might want to ask yourself, do you want to lose weight, or lose fat. If your answer is weight then by all means eat less, if you answer was fat, then you may want to eat a lot more. Eating less you will get to your goal weight faster but you will have a higher BF% at that weight then if you did it slower.
    Thanks for the heads up and I will definitely take it into account. I still have a large amount of fat stored in the adapose tissue around my midsection and I figure a large portion of my NEW weight loss will be derived mainly from my stubborn existing fat stores. I use the example of having a 42/44 waist to now having a 35 waist. Still have a very small spare tire. In summation I want to lose 20lbs more then I will go into maintenance mode and then growth mode. However, I do appreciate what you have told me and will take heed once I reach my ultimate weight loss goal. :-)
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I actually often find it difficult to eat all of my 1200 calories because it seems like too much. I think this is because of what I eat (even though I do add some high cal/junk food to it, I still don't tend to go over). You can definitely look at my diary for some ideas. I've decided ( :cry: ) to keep bread/pasta etcetera to a minimum (though they do have these 50 calorie tortillas I use when I need to use something like that), and eating a lot of vegetables and protein packed stuff. I try to eat every couple of hours (sometimes it doesn't happen, though), and when I just want something to eat, I go for something seriously flavor packed with few calories (olives are my friend!). Plus drinking 1-2 cups of water with each meal/snack (depending on the size).
  • jersanter
    jersanter Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have 1200 calories after my mid morning meal. Not sure how anyone survives on 1200 calories.
  • TerrylSimmons
    Options
    I find this idea perfect. I will give it a try.
  • avk9802
    avk9802 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I maintain a 1000 calorie diet.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    It is pointless to eat 1200 calories a day, UNLESS you can eat that for the rest of your life without going hungry. Calorie restriction is almost always a failure long term because of the fact that you have to eat less than your body wants and needs. Once you hit goal weight if you increase calories even the slightest, you will gain weight. If you truly eat the right foods, then your body will properly regulate your calorie intake and you won't need to count.
  • trea16
    trea16 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have 1200 calories after my mid morning meal. Not sure how anyone survives on 1200 calories.

You must be very very active
  • abbiepql
    Options
    I have done 1200 cal a day for over year and I only eat back my calories one day a week - with an average of 600 cal a day in exercise on all days but one when I do about 350.

Eating so few of calories is not easy at first, but for me it's a heck of alot easier than exercising!

I chose high fiber, low fat/carb/sodium - no sugar. I plan everything that I put in my gut, and record every bite. I don't waste calories on sweets and I pick carefully what snacks I choose to get the most nutritional value and bang for my buck, portion wise.

Buying foods that are pre-portioned works well for me, as I have a horrible food addiction which has me fighting portion control constantly! It's more expensive, but it works for me after a year so I am sticking with it!

I find that eating high fiber does help you stay full longer and therefore not tend to snack or eat bigger portions. I also try to keep my protein levels up and use lower fat nuts and veggies as snacks.

Hope I provided some tips you can use!
  • jleed53
    jleed53 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there been able to maintain a 1200 cal. diet?

I do, feel free to add me and we can share diaries!
  • loreezjeep
    Options
    I agree with the planning comments. If I don't plan out my meals and snacks, that's when I start getting into trouble and making bad choices!
  • jleed53
    jleed53 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have done 1200 cal a day for over year and I only eat back my calories one day a week - with an average of 600 cal a day in exercise on all days but one when I do about 350.

Eating so few of calories is not easy at first, but for me it's a heck of alot easier than exercising!

I chose high fiber, low fat/carb/sodium - no sugar. I plan everything that I put in my gut, and record every bite. I don't waste calories on sweets and I pick carefully what snacks I choose to get the most nutritional value and bang for my buck, portion wise.

Buying foods that are pre-portioned works well for me, as I have a horrible food addiction which has me fighting portion control constantly! It's more expensive, but it works for me after a year so I am sticking with it!

I find that eating high fiber does help you stay full longer and therefore not tend to snack or eat bigger portions. I also try to keep my protein levels up and use lower fat nuts and veggies as snacks.

Hope I provided some tips you can use!

This is a beautiful response!! great great tips in here!
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I am doing pretty good most days with the help of lots of low calorie vegetables and portion control!
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    You don't have to. For most people that are on 1200 cals, it is not the best intake for them, most chose a weekly weight loss goal that is too aggressive. Here is a guide for setting weekly deficits, and on top of this when you workout you should eat those calories back. So if you are on 1200 cals and burn 300, you should eat 1500 for the day.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Citation needed.