Crazy ~ Embarrassed to exercise in the living room in front

Options
It's nuts right? Why would I be more inclined to go out and sweat like a hog in front of total strangers, rather than light aerobics in my living room where my kids are probably going to ignore me anyway? Does anyone else have this anxiety?? I am not a morning person, so getting up before everyone else, bright and early, just aint gonna happen, and Im not going to do it late at night after everyone goes to bed, cuz then Im too pumped to sleep (Ive tried it, obviously), so I guess Im going to have to get over this weird inhibition. Has anyone else faced this?? Im not just retarded right???

Replies

• JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I used to have a problem with it but then my kids wanted to join in with me and now they do their "workout" right along side me. We get to spend time together which is great and they see their mom being healthy.

Hopefully you get it worked out. Hugs!
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    How about getting a Wii? They won't even notice they're working out. ♥ I dance in the bedroom. All I seem to scare is the cats.
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    You are not crazy. I can workout in the gym no problem because I know that everyone is working out and who cares if they see me. At home my boyfriend will want to sit on the chair and watch, I told him he could either go downstairs and play wow, or if he wants to watch he has to join me with doing the dvd.
  • brinak2005
    brinak2005 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I totally understand! I will not workout while my husband sits on the couch and watches. On the days he is home from work, I'll go to the bedroom with my videos or make him do something else for 30 minutes to an hour. I don't mind my daughter being around, she's 5. Plus she cheers me on the whole time!
  • May63
    May63 Posts: 162
    Options
    yup
    i live with a 69 yr old male roommate. his schedule of reading and having coffee comes at two hr entervals then has beer after dinner. wii is in living room. he probably doesn't notice but i hate it. just moved room around so i can move wii upstairs and see how that works
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    The reason I have exercise stuff sitting unused in my house and Why I spent 100's on a gym membership
  • rebecca_chess
    rebecca_chess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    (Ok, this may sound horrible...) My mother lives with us and I *hate* doing anything in the living room (workout, or play Wii Just Dance) because she makes so many comments.....she tries to be supportive by saying "you look great" or "you've always been a great dancer" but I really just want her to shut up....lol....or go in another room instead of just sitting there watching me! My 5 year old is fine, because he's doing the dancing with me usually and picking the songs so we not only get in a workout but also get some "quality" time in side-by-side (and we laugh at each other in a good way). So, no, you are not crazy....
  • workerbee2011
    workerbee2011 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I totally understand...I hate exercising if my husband is even in the house, let alone the same room!
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    Yes but it's my husband that bothers me. He's very supportive - don't get me wrong - but I feel like he's correcting or criticizing my movements. This is completely in my head. I'm just self-conscious about this one thing in front of him, and I don't know why.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I do my 30 day shred in the bedroom. I cant bring myself to do it in front of the boyfriend. I know he wont laugh or anything, I just feel like I look like an orangutan in the middle of a seizure when I do it and don't want him to see me like that. I do it as soon as I get home, then I take a shower, put my makeup back on and if its my night to do it, make dinner.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not crazy, I can't workout in my living room anymore because my mom won't leave me alone when I'm jumping around sweating my butt off. She finds it a good time to come and chat with me, and even the "mom I love you but can't you see I'm a little busy here?" doesn't dissuade her. So I go jog outside instead :laugh:
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    I would never do it in front of my ex. Mostly because he would laugh at me and tease me.

I do it now in front of the SO and his kids. Most of the time the kids will do it with me. SO is going to convert the basement into a workout room. So that we have more room to exercise. The kids love it. His oldest needs to lose quite a bit of weight and she mirrors what I do.
  • Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Yes but it's my husband that bothers me. He's very supportive - don't get me wrong - but I feel like he's correcting or criticizing my movements. This is completely in my head. I'm just self-conscious about this one thing in front of him, and I don't know why.

I am the exact same way!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    .....'i'm just retarded right'...haha You're funny...but no...lol

I think we all have our own anxieties of who we workout in front of...
    I get very embarrassed as well when working out at home if anyone is over...my mom comes over, or my fiance walks into the room...I don't want people staring at me as I jump up and down like a lunatic getting all sweaty...but going to the gym to do it is okay..becuase there you are in a room full of others that look just as stupid and are just as sweaty...haha
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Nope - you're not crazy. When Mom's working out in this house, everyone has to go to their respective rooms. If they come in the living room, I roundhouse kick them - haha, they're teenagers, they can handle it.
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You're not crazy, I can't work out at home either! I can't concentrate when I think everyone is watching me, even though it's probably all mental and they probably couldn't care less. :laugh:

So I got a gym membership and take 30 minutes out of my day to go and do it properly.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Me too! I totally can't exercise in front of anyone. I use DVDs (on a laptop) in the spare bedroom. I have several DVDs that require very little space, so it works for me. When I want to exercise with the Wii, I wait until everyone is gone to use it. One Wii game I can "play" in front of others is Walk it Out - because there is no coordination involved.

Re: night time workouts - If you pick something labeled low impact - you could totally do this.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I just feel like I look like an orangutan in the middle of a seizure when I do it and don't want him to see me like that.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My kids are grown and gone now, but I was the same way when they were home. But it was because they wouldn't just ignore me. They always had to give helpful comments like, "that's not the way the girl on the DVD looks when she does that", "Is that the way you are supposed to look when doing that?", "You are not going to wear that outfit in public, are you?", etc. My husband does the same thing now, though some of his comments are just lude. I do weights around him because he can give me tips on form, but watching me do Zumba seems to get him too excited.

So I've always done most of my workouts alone in the bedroom.
  • evergreen5
    evergreen5 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I used to lock myself in my bedroom and crank up the stereo, but the kids have all left home so I just close the curtains and go for it. It wasn't just the embarrassment of the fat jiggling, I hate interruptions when I;m working out. You just get into it and somebody can't find something that is super important and they can't wait 30 minutes. :grumble: