Crazy ~ Embarrassed to exercise in the living room in front

Options

Replies

• maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i dont really care who sees me sweat or jiggle.. i do what i want regardless of what anyone else thinks.. my thinking is most people at the gym sweat and jiggle .. and the ones at home i dont care what they think . my neighbors already think im nuts in the summer when they watch me run around the yard up and down the hill with weights in my hands .. and i set up obstacle courses in the yard and do laps in the pool..sometimes i take out the cardio machines by the pool and go to town there too.. the whole world can sit on their wide behinds and watch me till the cows come home while i work on mine .. :)
  • suzie43
    suzie43 Posts: 13
    Options
    i dont really care who sees me sweat or jiggle.. i do what i want regardless of what anyone else thinks.. my thinking is most people at the gym sweat and jiggle .. and the ones at home i dont care what they think . my neighbors already think im nuts in the summer when they watch me run around the yard up and down the hill with weights in my hands .. and i set up obstacle courses in the yard and do laps in the pool..sometimes i take out the cardio machines by the pool and go to town there too.. the whole world can sit on their wide behinds and watch me till the cows come home while i work on mine .. :)

You go girl!! I'm right there with ya! Who cares what others think!!!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You are certainly not alone. I don't like working out while anyone is watching either. I do my DVD's in the bedroom where the door can be shut.

Also, you might want to rethink your use of the word "retarded". There are a lot of folks out there with disabilities that might not want to be associated with a silly meaning.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    You know youre family. You don't really know the people at the gym. I can understand getting embarassed far more with the small audience you have a connection with rather than the larger audience you don't really know.
  • natashamcn
    natashamcn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I hate having to exercise in front of the bf. He knows not to make any comments but when I catch him looking I just can't help but feel embarrassed. :blushing: That being said I think its just all in my head.
  • forky
    forky Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm totally with you on this! I've gotten used to it though and now my nine year old does them with me. However, I absolutely won't enter my weight on the Wii Fit or any of the dancing games that I exercise to. No way!
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses! (And, if the word "retarded" offended anyone, I do apologize.) I knew this was going to be an obstacle for me, and I owned up to it and talked it out with the family lastnight, and they all agreed that if I want "private time" in the living room to do my thing, they will respect it and give me an hour when I ask for it. YAY!!
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I used to have a problem with anyone watching. I get up early to try to workout before my kids get up but sometimes they get up before I'm done. I'm not self conscious about it anymore but I still don't want anyone to talk to me while I'm working out. It's bad enough that they interrupted my "ME" time. They can at least let me focus on getting it done. The exception is my 2 year old. He actually cooperates pretty well. He's learned to sit there and watch or play until I'm done or he tries to do some of the moves. I suggest focusing on the fact that you are doing great things to improve your health instead of focusing on how your belly moves, etc. when you workout. I had to get over this myself. Be proud of what you're doing :)
  • AndiJ2011
    AndiJ2011 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My husband is a mess! Chile the things he will say when I am doing my dumbbell squats... Maybe I am a sicko. I love it! lol
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I knew this was going to be an obstacle for me, and I owned up to it and talked it out with the family lastnight, and they all agreed that if I want "private time" in the living room to do my thing, they will respect it and give me an hour when I ask for it. YAY!!

That's great! You can go all out, girl! :bigsmile:
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    , I just feel like I look like an orangutan in the middle of a seizure when I do it and don't want him to see me like that. I
    THIS!
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Ha! I won't do my Wii Zumba in front of my husband either. I just feel silly. When I start dancing, the dog looks at me for a minute and then gets up and walks away in disgust. So I prefer to dance alone.:laugh:
  • Jaded_GRL
    Options
    Just think of the example you are setting for them.
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Glad I'm not alone. I don't mind working out at the gym-even in front of hot guys (and there are bunches at my gym.)

But I hate working out in front of my roommates. They are super sweet and supportive but I just feel weird. Plus they are in better shape than me so I wonder if they are secretly criticizing my techniques/ endurance/ form.

It's ok to be embarassed but any way you feel the key is to just DO IT. If you have to do it in front of someone, so what? It's your body, not theirs :-)
  • Samantha15240
    Samantha15240 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You aren't the only one. I have no idea what causes it, but I am more comfortable @ a gym than my house!
  • hopenevins
    hopenevins Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I HATE doing anything when my husband is around...I guess I don't want him to see my tummy jiggle, or I don't want to look awkward.
  • Generalms02
    Options
    So, it's funny.... I have, I guess you'd call it a mental block, about working out in the house. I would much rather workout at the gym. Well, now I'm doing the Chalean Extreme with my girlfriend and we're both working out at home. It doesn't matter if anyone is home or not, i just don't like working out at home, in the living room.... maybe it's the carpet? LOL... i don't know. I'm still trying to get over it though.
  • thekacks
    thekacks Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Me! I close all the curtains in the off chance a neighbor might look over and see me in my window (that have sheers in them anyway). I don't mind if I am at the gym or whatever, but doing the exercise games and what have you are tough on me.
  • thekacks
    thekacks Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Me! I close all the curtains in the off chance a neighbor might look over and see me in my window (that have sheers in them anyway). I don't mind if I am at the gym or whatever, but doing the exercise games and what have you are tough on me.

That is totally me! I close all the curtains, lock the door, etc. I can't work out in front of anyone except for my boys (5 and 7). I'm single at the moment and actually had an old "friend" of mine hanging around for the past week... he was off work and I work from home so he figured it was cool to just hang around me. Finally yesterday I told him he had to go! Everyone can know I'm dieting... but exercising in front of anyone is hugely embarrassing for me. Maybe that will change when I don't have so much jiggly fat around... but for now.. no way!

Oh yeah, and I do the DVDs with the volume low because I'm afraid someone will walk up to the door and hear it. ESPECIALLY if I am doing a "fun easy day" I call them... Richard Simmons Party off the Pounds... so fun LOL but this is the first time I've ever even admitted to owning that DVD hehehe
  • mstormth
    mstormth Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I work out at home in our basement - no windows... lol.
    I refuse to work out in front of my husband, I get up at 5am - 6am - six days per week so I can work out before the house gets up... plus it creates me time with out any distractions.

I definately would feel uncomfortable with eyes on me.... I am not a fan of an audience.

I am with you girl... you do what you feel best and what works for you to reach your goals... this is about you and your healthy weight goals...