What to do with a bag of Broccoli Slaw?

Options

Replies

• s41e6
    s41e6 Posts: 15
    Options
    Use it in place of stir-fry vegetables. It cooks way down, so use a lot more than you think you'll need.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    My wife serves it up tossed with some Asian Sesame and Ginger vinagrette dressing as a side with little fried pork chunks. Very tasty and I believe it is a little better nutritionally than traditional cole slaw.
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Top a ground turkey or chicken burger ( trader joe's has a really good frozen chicken burger) with raw broccoli slaw mixed with trader joe's pear Gorgonzola dressing. Yum!
  • ford8709
    ford8709 Posts: 140
    Options
    Bump
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I saute it up with some olive oil and right at the end add some soy sauce. Then saute up my shrimp and add it to the slaw and enjoy. It's amazing stuff, I may have to try it in egg rolls instead of cabbage next time I make them.
  • BiggGrizz
    BiggGrizz Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have never had broccoli slaw. Can't wait to try most of these recipes.
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I love most of the ways already listed, but it is great for your critters. A few years ago I had birds and they loved. It isalso great for iguanas....FYI
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    steam it and mix it in with garlic, cilantro and rice- add chicken if you wish
  • Quickest and tastiest recipe is the following:

Get your stir-fry wok,
    preheat it with 1 tbsp of olive oil and garlic
    chop up onions, red pepper, cilantro, and whatever other vegetable you might want and the broccoli of course,
    sprinkle it with some lemon pepper powder, maybe a bit of salt

once its heated, throw all the vegetables in and then bring to a medium temperature, finally add some soy sauce to give it even more flavour, trust me, youll be eating bags of broccoli in no time. Good luck.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    bump
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    bump. Some great ideas.
  • joe7880
    joe7880 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    :smile: My wife and I make our own ginger dressing to add to the broccoli slaw but I'm liking all the good ideas on this thread! Thanks everybody!
  • fitnessforjudy
    fitnessforjudy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of lettuce in a tossed salad with veggies & low fat salad dressing. This is a good substitute when you get tired of eating lettuce and spinach. Also, I will try the recipe that was given as another way of using it.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I use it for the toppings for some bbq chicken or pork wonton tacos.

mix up your own asian vinagrette add to the broccoli slaw

cook your chicken/pork in a crockpot, add your favorite bbq sauce

place wontons over the edge of a deep oven safe dish and bake at 400 degrees for 6-7 minutes or until crispy. Assemble and enjoy.

One taco comes in around 50 calories I believe.
  • amazinglywell
    Options
    Awesome ideas...I love this stuff but some new recipes are always good. I put a ton of it in my eggs with spinach in the morning...usually end up with more veggies than egg to hold it all together!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Broccoli slaw... how I love thee...

In addition to using it to make "spaghetti", I also use it in place of rice for a southwest-style bowl. Here's my general recipe for one bag. It makes two servings.

1 bag brocc slaw
    1 chicken breast
    4 tbsp salsa
    Salt & pepper
    Canned or freshly cooked beans of your choice (I prefer black, but you can use pinto or refried or something else if you prefer)
    2 tbsp red or green taco sauce
    Optional items:
    1 oz shredded cheese of your choice (monterey jack, pepper jack, and cheddar are great)
    Corn
    Chopped tomatoes, chives, jalapenos, etc.

Split chicken breast in half and season with salt & pepper to taste. Place breast halfs on a baking sheet lightly sprayed with non-stick spray. Top each half with two tablespoons salsa and spread it to cover the whole breast. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes or until cooked through.

Meanwhile, steam broccoli slaw for about 5 minutes or until tender.

Drain and rinse beans, then add the red or green taco sauce and stir to mix. Heat the beans on the stovetop or in the microwave.

When the chicken, slaw, and beans are all heated, shred or chop chicken breast into bite-sized pieces. Divide the cooked slaw into two bowls and top with beans, chicken, cheese, and more salsa or taco sauce if you like.

The end result is around 320 calories, and it is SUPER filling. You could easily divide this into three or four servings.

Enjoy!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    these look good! Can't wait to try some of these out. We usually just eat it with salad or added to sandwiches. Never thought to do some of these things with it.
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    PER SERVING (1/2 of recipe, 1 heaping cup): 148 calories, 3g fat, 610mg sodium, 24.5g carbs, 6g fiber, 10g sugars, 8g protein -- PointsPlus® value 4*

Prep: 5 minutes
    Cook: 15 minutes

One 12-oz. bag (4 cups) dry broccoli cole slaw
    1 cup low-fat creamy tomato soup (like Amy's Chunky Tomato Bisque) or canned crushed tomatoes
    1 tsp. chopped garlic, or more to taste
    Dash onion powder, or more to taste
    Dash each salt and black pepper, or more to taste
    Dash crushed red pepper, or more to taste
    3 tbsp. reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping, divided
    Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat on the stove. Add slaw and 1/4 cup water. Stirring occasionally, cook until water has evaporated and slaw has softened slightly, about 5 - 8 minutes.

Add soup/tomatoes, garlic, spices, and 2 tbsp. grated topping. Stir and continue to cook until hot, about 3 - 4 minutes.

Season to taste with additional spices, if you like. Top with remaining 1 tbsp. grated topping. Enjoy!

MAKES 2 SERVINGS

It takes amazing - like a good pasta. I used extra grated cheese. With the leftovers, I reheated in the skillet and added mushrooms.. OMG.. so good!

Definitely trying this!
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I need to try some of these recipes. I've just thrown some Ken's balsamic vinaigrette on it and yesterday I added trail mix, which was yummy. It's a nice alternative to salad.
  • toogsmom
    toogsmom Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump to read later