I hate exercise. Help?

Options

Replies

• amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Mmm, no, don't exercise, stay on the couch and watch the bachelor. That is so much more meaningful. ?? What are you thinking? You have these great gifts, life and a body, and this is your life. Use those precious gifts! Put them to good use, use them to make yourself happy.

Go outside, forget about the stationary bike. Put some peppy music in your ipod and go for a walk. Take a bike ride. Take a hike. Look at the beauty of the world around you, feel alive. Go on MeetUp.com and find a group of people who don't sit on the couch. Join them in whatever they are doing -- walking, skating, zumba, whatever. Buddies are good motivators.

If you knew today was your last day on earth, would you spend it watching tv?

I hear what you're saying.
    But not everyone can afford a iPod and not everyone gets lifted up by the whole "live life to the fullest" thing. Just saying...LOL

:)
  • Ironyb
    Ironyb Posts: 30
    Options
    If you hate exercise, pretend to be a kid again, young, active and happy. Play pretend, use your imagination. I know it sounds silly and quite frankly dumb, but when I'm at home alone I play pretend. I've always wanted to be a dancer, so I pretend be a famous dancer. Or you can jump rope, and if you have a significant other or a really cool friend, play around wrestle etc. Playing makes everything enjoyable, get a workout buddy and be silly :). I'm not a gym person so I walk a lot, dance, and jump rope.
  • slayerdan
    slayerdan Posts: 193
    Options
    My coworker has the same philosophy. She has coined the phrase..." Accept the Fatness". You put in the work to gain it, but dont want to to lose it. You dont have to like it---its like eating green beans in the 3rd grade.

You dont have to like it--but its good for you if you do.

Up to you.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I love working out but there is always that little lazy guy inside me that doesn't want to go to the gym or go for a run. It's an odd duplicity. When I started I didn't like working out at all. You grow to love it. The hatred you have for it now won't go away forever (maybe it will, I still consider myself a beginner, super fit people might love it 100%) but it will get so small that the enjoyment and results you get outweigh it.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Right now as I'm sitting in my office (I hate working almost as much as I hate working out), I'm feeling tired and sluggish and in the mood to do just about ANYTHING except go workout. It's Monday, after all. After a partying weekend, one needs a rest, right? At least a bit of the hair of the dog. WRONG!!!

You gotta just do it. Days I don't feel like going to the gym, I walk. I tell myself, just get out there, if you don't wanna walk more than a block, you don't have to. But most of the time, I get out there and then challenge myself. I don't like working out.. or walking.. or jogging.. but I do like challenging myself to go farther, faster, and I do enjoy it when my body feels stronger and more fit.

Just work through the dread.. don't think about it.. just do it. (like the commercial says).
  • firstjog11
    firstjog11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I get bored by it, but found a neighbor to work out with. That is much better for me. Maybe you need to find a fitness friend so you can socialize while you work out.
  • sssygirl
    sssygirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There are things I hate...like running..I will never run. But I do like walking my neighborhood with my girlfriend. It gives us both a chance to vent and laugh..and then boom..we have walked 4 miles!

I also LOVE the classes at my gym. They push me to do things I would normally fluff off on. I try new classes all the time, sometimes I love them, some I don't.

My girlfriend went through a rut and took up swimming, she is in the pool 3-4 times a week.

I guess keep trying new things...and don't think of it as what everyone else does..I HATE getting on a machine like elliptical or treadmill, but I suck it up and do it if I have to, I just make sure i have some GOOD Music!
    Also having a friend waiting for you..is major motivation!
  • happinessawaits
    Options
    that used to be me too.. you just have to move.. once you see results you will be inspired... just make yourself do it.
  • GeoJenna223
    GeoJenna223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am like you.

I tried kettlebell. I love it. I feel strong doing it, I feel stronger after I do it, I am sore, but not to the point of pain, just a noticeable discomfort.

I also love the concept 2 rower. I want to buy one. I am the cheapest person ever, so for me to say I want to spend thousands of dollars on a machine, that is how awesome it is.

Don't give up!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    To the OP, have you really given those things a chance? Did you do them three or four times a week for a month?

Yes if you exercise enough to raise your heart rate and make a difference to your health you WILL sweat. Get over it.
    Rock climbing.

It'll change your perspective on exercise.

It'll change your life.

Seriously.
    Climbing certainly worked for me, training for a climb in Canada kickstarted a fitness routine and thinking about paying a small fortune for super-lightweight quickdraws for a trip to the Ariege made me stop in my tracks and think about how stupid it was to have all the other excess weight I was hauling - i.e. my big fat *kitten*! :bigsmile:
  • Sinphonite
    Options
    I'd try to find a secondary goal that coincides with the exercise. Like the sports and things associated above, or finding a gym partner (Particularly if you can get a bit of friendly competition going on.)

I had the same problem for a few years. I wanted to lose weight and get in better shape, but unfortunately that was only enough motivation to eat better. My enthusiasm fell short when moving from the diet to exercise. I've recently gotten involved in full armored medieval combat. Not only is it fantastic exercise in it's own right, it became my primary motivation for working out. I want to become faster, stronger, leaner, if only so I'm a better fighter. And being able to look as good with my armor off as I feel with it on is a nice bonus.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Have you considered doing a recreational sport or taking up something like fishing, biking, racquetball, tennis, or kayaking where you're actually out doing something?

Also, you should remember that this attitude of "I hate working out" doesn't help you at all. Try to be positive and open. Yes, you are going to sweat, but find something you have fun with and don't focus on the sweatiness.

I HATE working out too. So much so that I don't really do it. I think this poster is onto something...."As a man thinks, so is he." Maybe that's the key. Develop the mantra, "I LOVE working out!" I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT!!!!!!
  • brandy8991
    Options
    What you need to do is take an honest look at yourself in the mirror. Take a look at what you want to change, how you can be better, (not just physical things). These are some of mine::

I want to look in the mirror and smile, not be disappointed or judge myself. I want to not be winded when I get to the top floor. I want to glow on my wedding day, etc. There are many.

Set REACHABLE goals. When you reach your first small goal, thats where the addiction you speak of sets in, and the enjoyment of working out. Then set another "smart" goal: "specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, and timely".

How accomplished do you feel after sitting on your couch, probably not very much. But after you come home from a dance class or workout at the gym, thennnn sit on the couch and watch the bachelor, I bet you'll feel a lot better. Another Idea is to find a buddy, hold each other accountable for your goals. My roommate and I are gym buddies. When I don't wake up after a long night, she won't let me "Maybe tomorrow" the day. Hope this helps. If all else fails, you can always alter your diet. I can help you with some recipes if you would like. I'm not a diet guru or anything but I have successful history in the gym and kitchen and I am eager to help.
  • rayleansout
    Options
    No easy way out - no short cut home! Most of the time when you hate something your bad at it. I would suggest finding something your good at doing, walking, bowling, housecleaning, whatever it is and start there.
  • msjamartin
    Options
    I was right there with the original poster for most of my life. I finally had to bit the bullet and get my 378 lb body into the gym or die. For most of the first year it was me, the elliptical, my mp3 and my kindle. I read more books on that machine in a year than I have read in 5 years. Thank goodness for the free kindle books, the 99cent kindle books and now the library.

Reading was a way to keep my mind from getting bored and I could focus for my time on something else while workout out.

Now, after losing191 lbs, I still do not "like" working out. I work out with a trainer for strength because he will push me more than I will myself on the machines/weights. I jog/walk/elliptical my way through nearly 2 hours of cardio every day. If I'm jogging then I can't read but I can with all the others. I'm training for a 1/2 marathon. Not because I like it but because I need it. I need goals, deadlines, hard firm date to accomplish items. If I don't, then it is hard for me to keep going.

It is a lot like eating vegetables you don't like when you are a kid (and maybe even as an adult). It is good for you so you do it. I've learned the benefit outWEIGHS the negative.
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I start exercising before I even get out of bed in the morning.... lol I know I'm an addict... but I know EXACTLY where you're coming from!

I tried all kinds of exercise programs and at one point I was working out for 30 minutes a day on an exercise bike, 30 minutes a day on the weight machines and 30 minutes a day swimming.... all told 90 minutes a day of serious work and it really didn't help all that much.... sorry folks.... lol.... my body toned up and I got a lot stronger and I really really did learn to love it!..... but it didn't help me lose any extra weight........

What worked for me, was music.... I keep music going around me all day long... and I keep myself moving to that music.... even if it's just putting a little extra step into my walking....dancing while I'm waiting for the microwave....just swinging my hips, swaying my shoulders back and forth.... I couldn't "dance" to save my life, didn't know what rhythem was ( still can't spell it apparently) and all keep your shoulders back and your tummy tucked in.... don't just stand there doing the dishes.... straighten up and hold your body up right... your body automatically shifts into the most energy saving CALORIE CONSERVING mode.... wake it up and make it work.... BURN a few extra calories just by standing up straight and holding your stomach in..... you are also waking up those muscles.... I know people will say it's not enough.... and maybe it's not on it's own.... but for someone who hates a "formal" exercise time.... find ways that you can just burn a few extra calories throughout the WHOLE day......

If you could see the abs I have under this last layer of fat you would ALL be chair dancing right now ;) and I started at 320 pounds!
  • AnitaAntone
    AnitaAntone Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I treart my self like a child and make myself do it. i punish myself by no tv till its done. i think in the beginning the extra calories to eat is what helped too! also found the least offensive to me exercise to do (stationary bike while watching netflix and playing dance central on my sons xbox, and handweights) to get started. i find doing a minimum of 30 mins everday was key too,because as soon as i skip one day its to easy to skip another. one year later and it is a habit,not addicted yet though!now i do 1 hr everday and 2hr on my day off to make up for how sedantary i found myslef on the days off. i do like feeling stronger and seeing my endurance grow and so many things that use to hurt to do has stopped hurting. i find myself able to do somethings i wouldn't be able to do before and that feels worth any inconvience. it comes down to how bad do you want it, and i want it bad enough to do the work for the first time in my life. Good luck and i offer you any support i can give!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Mmm, no, don't exercise, stay on the couch and watch the bachelor. That is so much more meaningful. ?? What are you thinking? You have these great gifts, life and a body, and this is your life. Use those precious gifts! Put them to good use, use them to make yourself happy.

Go outside, forget about the stationary bike. Put some peppy music in your ipod and go for a walk. Take a bike ride. Take a hike. Look at the beauty of the world around you, feel alive. Go on MeetUp.com and find a group of people who don't sit on the couch. Join them in whatever they are doing -- walking, skating, zumba, whatever. Buddies are good motivators.

If you knew today was your last day on earth, would you spend it watching tv?

I hear what you're saying.
    But not everyone can afford a iPod and not everyone gets lifted up by the whole "live life to the fullest" thing. Just saying...LOL

:)

I don't have an IPod ..... what's an IPod got to do with it? I have a (much) cheaper MP3 player .... not fancy but it does the job. I love to put on some tunes & go.

You can lose weight without exercise ..... the problem will most likely be .... keeping the weight off. I personally don't want to "be on a diet" for the rest of my life. Adding exercise calories makes it possible.
  • Foxzy
    Foxzy Posts: 38
    Options
    Find a workout buddy or hire a personal trainer.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Well....here's my overall take on it. You asked for help, suggestions, advice and you got a lot of help, suggestions, advice. You can put your best foot forward and try or stay on the couch with a negative attitude. No one can do this for you. Just as there is no magic diet pill to lose weight, there is no magic exercise pill to make you want to get up and boogie.

Ask yourself - Do I want to be healthy and fit? Live a long life? Reach my weight loss goals quicker and easy? It's how bad you want it!!