Do you consider this exercise?

Options

Replies

• savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My day to day cleaning, like dishes, etc I don't count. However if I am doing hard core cleaning or a lot of shopping I will. I guess it depends on the effort I put in.
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    I consider every thing I do a form of exercise and I will tell you why.....

The real secret to weight loss is simple math.... if I make a tuna sandwich... I count the calories from the bread, the butter,the mayo, and the lettuce.

Whether I write it down in a book or log it in on the computer... my body absorbs those calories......

Now when I walk upstairs to go to the bathroom instead of going to the one down the hall... .I burn an extra 8 calories.....when I push myself to get up there a little faster I burn 10 ;)....

The point is... start treating your whole day as a way to burn off calories.... stand up straighter, feel how hard it is to hold yourself up right... that's working those muscles.... muscles at work burn calories... so what if it's not as much as 20 minutes on the treadmill.... you see how hard it is just to stand up straight and hold your stomach in for more than a minute....by the time it becomes easy you will be seeing results and feeling like you can do more......

So turn your housework into a work out and keep it in mind while you are sweeping and mopping!

Good point. On my good days, when I am doing dishes, I have music going and I am dancing. When I am cleaning I turn it in to dancing. Someone once told me, if you are cleaning a counter and waiting for it to dry, take some huge canned foods and lift them like weights while you are waiting.. She was super skinny and very fit.

Of course when I log these types of things, I make it fun and add it to my exercises and give it a fun title so everyone knows I am not just logging it to cheat. I am logging it because I actually did something.
  • KellieNause
    Options
    If I'm picking up around the house, doing laundry, etc (stuff I normally do) I don't count as exercise because I'm not exercising. But when spring cleaning comes around and I'm down on my knees scrubbing floors and baseboards with sweat dripping off my nose, you bet I'm logging that as exercise.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I don't count my everyday stuff like cooking or quick house pick up. I do count anything that is not everyday like big deep cleaning the house or heavy gardening. I often work longer in the garden or cleaning than I do at the gym.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options

MFP is a guideline. Not an absolute MUST.

I still don't buy it.

But it doesn't matter, you're cheating yourself, not me.

You know, it IS possible to burn calories while doing something productive. Sometimes it's even possible to burn calories while doing something fun!

Cheaters will cheat. Doer's will DO!
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    BE PREPARED FOR A PG-13 RESPONSE:

So here's my question...what about SEX?! Just wondering because I know that it can certainly be a workout yet I haven't found it in the exercise database (or any other foreplay, frisky business). It's also not something I do in my daily routine...probably TMI but, yes, a few times a week, just like exercising. If my heartrate is elevated, I'm sweating and working muscles I don't usually work...is that exercise?! Does that count as calorie burning? I read a whole article about approximate calories burned just making out, "petting" and yes, even sex.

I found it in the Lose It database. For me 30 mins =

Passive, light, kissing: 0

General, moderate: 9

Active, vigorous: 14

I'm 5'1 and 120lbs so it could be different for a person larger than me and male of course. Also depending how you do is a factor too.
  • his_kid1
    his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I cannot imagine why you "need" to put in your 2 cents, nor why you care what other people are doing in their own personal logs.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I guess I just needed to put my 2 cents in on the subject.......
    There now...don't you feel better? :flowerforyou:
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I dont clean daily - I do it all on the weekends because I dont have timeduring the week. However, when I do clean, I go at it with a vengence and do a deep clean where I am on my hands and knees scrubbing my floors, and vacuuming everything from top to bottom. I do not count cooking dinner, or taking out the trash.

Please note: It is NOT my only form of exercise - I do work out on top of this as well.
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    BE PREPARED FOR A PG-13 RESPONSE:

So here's my question...what about SEX?! Just wondering because I know that it can certainly be a workout yet I haven't found it in the exercise database (or any other foreplay, frisky business). It's also not something I do in my daily routine...probably TMI but, yes, a few times a week, just like exercising. If my heartrate is elevated, I'm sweating and working muscles I don't usually work...is that exercise?! Does that count as calorie burning? I read a whole article about approximate calories burned just making out, "petting" and yes, even sex.

Lmfao , I used to log it, but realized it was part of my daily routine. MY MFP friends would get a kick out of it though because it wasn't logged as "sex" it would be logged as "vigorous disco stick ridding." but then I realized, I it's everyday. So I stopped logging it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I cannot imagine why you "need" to put in your 2 cents, nor why you care what other people are doing in their own personal logs.

Ditto.

If someone counts those things and it works for that person (even if it doesn't!), then it's nunya.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    No I do not count those... they are built into my daily routine/lifestyle.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    If no one makes a workout DVD, or weightloss-based program from it, then it's safe to say it's probably not much of a workout. That's my 2 cents. :flowerforyou:
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many calories you burn while making a Pine Cone Bird Feeder?
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    The only thing I bother logging in terms of cleaning, etc. is sweeping. Doing that for an hour can be a workout in and of itself, but I generally don't eat the calories from it.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    Options
    the entire point of this thread is to get other peoples opinions or "two cents"...........
  • babyjett1
    babyjett1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cooking, cleaning and general housework should be subsumed into your original estimate of how active you are. Sounds like your acitivity WITHOUT additional working out would be considered "moderately active", or about the same as that of a nurse. Now beyond that, if you are moving furniture, shoveling snow or mowing the lawn - things you don't do routinely - you can count those things as exercise. The best way to get a handle on your real activity level is to wear a pedometer. 10,000 steps a day is considered very active; 7500 is moderately active. For example, I usually log 10,000 a day which makes me very active. That is built into my daily calorie allowance. Every thing I do beyond that, such as Zumba or strength training, is counted as additional. I hope this helps. Most Americans only get in something less than 5,000 steps a day -- which explains alot. Go back to the original assumptions you made about your calorie needs and see if you need to make adjustments.
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    Honestly, I think it's totally acceptable to log cleaning if it's one of those times that you overhaul your house. I know I can work up quite a sweat! However, let's be honest - like everyone is saying - taking out the trash or going to the washroom are normal activities of daily living. If anything, count them as an unlogged bonus and move on! Don't sell yourself short, but certainly don't overlog or you'll never see results!!!

The trash part all depends, The dumpsters where I live are pretty far. I might consider this only because when I do my walking, it is just as far. it's about a quarter of a mile away, so there and back is half a mile. If I were taking out a lot of trash...back and forth could add up to over a mile. For me, that is out of my normal activity. especially have to bring a kid and pull a wagon or stoller with a kid in it. but if your trash can is out side the door, or in the back yard, then I could see not adding it.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    Options
    If no one makes a workout DVD, or weightloss-based program from it, then it's safe to say it's probably not much of a workout. That's my 2 cents. :flowerforyou:

LMAO-I can just see it now! High Impact Vacuuming!
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    I wear a pedometer. My goal is a minimum of 10,000 steps per day. In the house, in the parking lot, up the mountain, or at the gym, or walking the halls at the hospital. I think it all adds up. HOWEVER.....I don't believe you can only walk your hallways or take out the trash and think that's exercise. You have to get your heart rate up and sweat and work hard. Like the gym, or hiking, or running.