Do you consider this exercise?

Options

Replies

• JennL418
    Options
    Well let me chime in here. I just deep cleaned my house today. Mopped, vacuumed (including under beds) cleaned all the bathrooms and kitchen. This wasn't the normal, daily picking up that I do but a whole house clean. I wore my HRM while I did this for 4 hours and burned 799 calories. My activity level on here is set to sedentary and I sure as heck was NOT sedentary for those 4 hours. So I back out my existence calories for that time period and it's an extra 605 calories I burned today. You better believe I'm counting THAT.

Now, I do not count cooking dinner, picking up the house, taking out the trash, doing laundry, but over and above like today? You bet it's exercise.

I agree! I wore my HRM last weekend and did the same thing. I burned close to 800 calories. I scrubbed my apartment from floor to ceiling and you better believe I logged that as exercise!!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many calories you burn while making a Pine Cone Bird Feeder?

ROFL.

I think this high impact activity would burn hundreds of calories. Shall I pass you the compensatory chocolate box?
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Some people do if they weigh what is considered morbidly obese. You have to take that into consideration when someone weighs what four or five "average" sized people weigh. Not moving at all is probably what got them to that weight. If someone wants to count cleaning and shopping as exercise and that is the only time they move in a whole week, let them. Why worry about someone else's weight loss or lack of unless they come to you for help though?
  • snowfox92
    snowfox92 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I put cleaning house when I clean other people's houses because I used to do it as a side job once in awhile, and it'd be scrubbing huge 2 story houses. Should I not be logging that just because you say I'm being lazy and want to get every calorie in?
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    I cannot imagine why you "need" to put in your 2 cents, nor why you care what other people are doing in their own personal logs.

^^this! Everyone logs/doesn't log what they feel is right for them. For some people cleaning or cooking isn't something they do on a regular basis and when they do it they definitely burn extra calories, I'm pretty sure if you burned next to 0 calories doing that stuff then it wouldn't be in the database. I'm lucky and my bf generally cleans the house so when it's my turn I definitely log the calories since it's not something I do on a "regular day".

To each there own. :flowerforyou:
  • vxjammiedodgerxv
    vxjammiedodgerxv Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The search function is your friend. This has been done to death.

The long and short of it is, if you dont' want to log it, don't. Don't worry about what other people do. Your life will be much simpler when you focus on yourself instead of other people. Trust me on this.

^^THIS^^^

I'm a bit shocked by some responses to this thread..... If someone logs something I don't log, I let them get on with it.. Just as they would with me. I don't get why people are moaning about other peoples habits. I focus on my own and that's all that matters in the end.
  • Luxxmundi
    Options
    I counted my cleaning yesterday, but because it was a deep clean, and not the stuff I do every day. Washing up etc I dont count, I also dont count how often I go up and down the stairs with a 12lb baby, because Id have to do it anyway. If I can do it comfortably in my pajamas, its not excercise.
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on how your activity level is set up. If you have yourself as sedentary and vacuum for two hours I would say that counts as exercise!

vacuuming is exercise? come on people. this is why america is fat.

You've obviously never spent much time vacuuming. I think its really funny that some people think exercise has to include going to a gym. I the old days people never went to gyms but they spent all day doing manual labor and they
    were in much better shape than those of us who sit at desks for most of the day and spend one hour at the gym.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    WWJD...........what would Jillian do?
  • snowfox92
    snowfox92 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on how your activity level is set up. If you have yourself as sedentary and vacuum for two hours I would say that counts as exercise!

or maybe this is why you people are all on this site. just saying. maybe we shouldn't nitpick at each other because we all have bad habits and we're all trying to change them.
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I cannot imagine why you "need" to put in your 2 cents, nor why you care what other people are doing in their own personal logs.

^^this! Everyone logs/doesn't log what they feel is right for them. For some people cleaning or cooking isn't something they do on a regular basis and when they do it they definitely burn extra calories, I'm pretty sure if you burned next to 0 calories doing that stuff then it wouldn't be in the database. I'm lucky and my bf generally cleans the house so when it's my turn I definitely log the calories since it's not something I do on a "regular day".

To each there own. :flowerforyou:

I totally agree!!! I'm not sure why some people are getting so ugly about it. I don't log those things (I have an at home daycare so the cleaning is seriously never-ending!), but who am I to get all pissy because someone decided to log "toasting bread"? If they don't lose weight, then let them deal with the consequences...it's not a competition, no one's cheating you out of YOUR burn, so get over it.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many calories you burn while making a Pine Cone Bird Feeder?

ROFL.

I think this high impact activity would burn hundreds of calories. Shall I pass you the compensatory chocolate box?

ARE YOU TRYING TO SABOTAGE ME??

*mmmmmm, chocolate*
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i lost all my weight so far by walking and doing extra cleaning and gardening... its miles to a gym here and anyway we can't afford it. if it is extra to your normal daily life and works for you, log it i say
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I don't generally log cleaning as exercise unless it's a "gut the room, clean it from top to bottom (dusting, vacuuming, carpet cleaning, windows, etc....) move the furniture back in" type of cleaning. It would have to be non-stop heavy activity for 2 plus hours and at that I only log it as about 30 min of cleaning. I'm sure people have thought why is she logging 30 minutes of cleaning, but it's really not, it was really 2 hours.

To each his own I guess. I don't disagree with others for what they log as activity. If they log it and then wonder why they are losing weight - then that's their issue. If they want to fool us they could be very well calculating out what they think they burned and then logging it as walking or calisthenics.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options

I dont quite think logging vacuuming is a reason why America is fat... I joined this site to monitor my progress, calories and exercise. I dont log cleaning or even deep cleaning that I am working up a sweat after, I just consider it "extra." If someone else wants too, that is them, this is why my diary is closed, too many people judging others instead of worring about themselves... (flame away, send the hate mail, but eveyone had an opinion and the right to them. :bigsmile:
  • jenifer7teen
    jenifer7teen Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Why do people always respond to these types of posts with things like "mind your own business"?!

i mean, if you are making your food intake and exercise output PUBLIC and letting other people read it, how can you say "pay attention to me, but don't give me any constructive criticism".

I THINK the reason people keep bringing up this topic is because:

1) it is frustrating to think that i just biked almost 17 miles per hour for 70 minutes and i burned 750 calories while someone else drove/cooked/cleaned/etc and THAT burned the same amount of calories?!?!
    2)people are being mislead... thinking they can eat a ridiculous amount of extra calories for no good reason (since MFP adds them to your daily allowable intake). these same people may become frustrated with a lack of success... if i logged EVERY activity i did for one day i gaurentee you i would be told to eat at least 4000 calories hahahha and i would get FATTER.

that being said....

if a person is truly obese and sedantary i can see why they might want to track their 'daily activities' if they feel they are really pushing themselves .... still.. you better not eat back calories for these things!!!
  • denise_earheart
    Options
    not unless it is going above and beyond.... Spring cleaning etc....
  • pitbullmom87
    Options
    i would consider taking out the trash some exercise in certain circumstances. or shoveling snow.. why? because my driveway is about a mile long... walking or running to the end of the driveway, heck yeah, i will log that because my driveway is long. lol
  • brendabuckeye
    brendabuckeye Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I log my weekend cleaning - sweeping, vacuuming, running up and down the stairs with multiple loads of laundry, but I don't log the everyday picking up and putting away, cooking, or loading the dishwasher. If it takes less than 10 minutes, it just isn't worth logging anyway - unless it is a full sprint back up the lane for a missing set of gloves for the kiddos and back with the bus pulling into sight - I should get points somehwere for those days, right? But no, I guess I really don't log that either. :)
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I dont consider cooking and cleaning as exercise. That is normal activity. I could see if you were moving boxes to clean a basement or garage because that could be a workout for some. I do kinda wonder when someone claims food prep daily and cleaning daily as odd.... then ontop of that they do not disclose the food diary. Why bother? But I guess its not for me to judge.

12908857.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools