For the Ladies - Mirena?

Options
123457»

Replies

• grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Those of you with the mirena - did you experience bloating? Not necessarily weight gain, but a bloated feeling low down that feels like you can't pull your stomach in? This is quite uncomfortable - I have been told to give the mriena 4 months or so to settle down - but just wondering if this is a common side effect that will go over that time. I am willing to try to keep this just in order to hopefully finally be rid of very heavy TOM my entire life (except when on oestrogen pills that they will not give me anymore :grumble: ), but it is rather uncomfortable and hope it's not going to be something I have to live with for the whole 5 years. :frown:
  • KriscoOil
    KriscoOil Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Have had a Mirena for five years and due to get it replaced soon. No weight gain for me with it. No side effects for me either, periods have all but stopped. I get a bit of spotting on the day my period is due and for maybe a day or so and then that's it. I still get Pms and a bit of slowed weight loss at that time of the month but that is normal for me. I love love love it. Best thing I ever did.

yes this! except I haven't had a period for 5 years! scheduling another soon as my 5 years are up!
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Those of you with the mirena - did you experience bloating? Not necessarily weight gain, but a bloated feeling low down that feels like you can't pull your stomach in? This is quite uncomfortable - I have been told to give the mriena 4 months or so to settle down - but just wondering if this is a common side effect that will go over that time. I am willing to try to keep this just in order to hopefully finally be rid of very heavy TOM my entire life (except when on oestrogen pills that they will not give me anymore :grumble: ), but it is rather uncomfortable and hope it's not going to be something I have to live with for the whole 5 years. :frown:

I did for the first about 6 months, but I don't have problems with that anymore.
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options

I did for the first about 6 months, but I don't have problems with that anymore.

Cool - thanks for your reply!! I will even suffer it out that long if it means 4.5 years of bliss - but blah it has been feeling gross in the last few days again - had to take pain killers tonight - NOT a thing I do - and I haven't eaten really but done heaps of exercise (which was disturbed due to it and not comfortable at all)

Always something eh? I want menopause - but they assure me that is horrid too!!!!!! :grumble:
  • Heidi_M78
    Heidi_M78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    In South Africa the pill is free ( I have to pay R30, or $3 every three months for the clinic fee) but the Mirena costs R2000 (about $270).

My mood swings are out if control and I am a total *****. I used to be far more laid back before this Mirena. Talking to gynae about its removal tomorrow
  • Heidi_M78
    Heidi_M78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    And I have ZERO sex drive
  • kic00kie
    kic00kie Posts: 5
    Options
    I've had Mirena for three years. Yes - I do think that I gained weight on it. But, it was also a combination of unhealthy eating and lack of exercise. I think that the benefits at this point outweigh the side effects though. I've had very little discomfort, no worries about pregnancy for three years, and NO period. Awesome!!! So, all in all, I'd do it.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Ohh so this could explain my hairloss. I lose a ton of hair every day. It is very hard for me to lose weight but I am not sure it has to do with the Mirena. I got mine back in November. I spotted a lot to begin with and my last period was super annoying, it lasted 14 days on and off with lots of pimples. grrrr. The jury is still out for me. But it could explain my weird symptoms. I will give it a little more time but not too much more. Feel free to message me if you have questions.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    I had a non hormonal IUD in last time. It was only in 4 years when I had it replaced. I was reaaaaaallllly lucky because my doctor told me it was falling out and I was unprotected. The hormonal one at least prevents that from happening due tot he hormones. Saying that though, a friend of mine who had a Mirena in for 4 years is now expecting her 3rd baby. It was a really big surprise. She didn't have her period for a really long time and then it started coming normally for a few months. If this happens to any of you, get it checked.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    I think I have just made the decision to get it out. My hair loss is ridiculous and I have had my period on and off for 14 days and it feels like it is beginning again. Not to mention I have read about the inability to lose weight. I have worked my butt off here with very little progress. Time to change back to the non hormonal one I think. Thank Goodness my doctor is my good friend!!