Does coffee count for water?

Options

Replies

• flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Plus, there's really no need to "count" water in the first place.
    oh geesh. some count it to make sure they drink it. whether a cup of coffee counts or not? just drink 8 cups of regular water a day. it really aint all that much or hard to do unless you obsess about it.
    why overthink everything? our bodies are mostly water so drinking good clean water makes sense? doesnt it?
    I don't like the taste of water unless I'm thirsty. So tell me why, when there is absolutely no medical reason should I have to force 8 glasses of water down my throat?
    It's OK if you do 7.45 or 8.03 glasses of water too... Is that what you're asking?
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I asked my Dr last week about Tea and Coffee counting for water. She said that if it is Decaf you can count it towards your water count. I drink lots of decaf herbal tea (my office is freezing!) so I was glad to hear. Also said, caffeine has a diuretic effect. I count it!

Water is a diuretic
  • cruisintolose
    cruisintolose Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have always been curious about this as well. So basically everyone seems to be 50/50. Only one person has come back with actual articles regarding this. Guess I will go with their opinion or maybe I will just continue to be curious about this topic. LOL
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Drinking 8 cups of water is just a generic guideline, to tell you that you need to make sure you drink enough water, in any form.

Drinking water with caffeine or any other ingredient is ok, as well as part of your food,
    You don't need to be concerned on what else you eat.

Just make sure you drink/eat enough water.

And how do you know that?
    Very simple:
    Look at the color of your urine; if it is yellow, drink more water. If it is cristal clear, you have gone beyond what you needed (but is ok !!)

Unless you're taking vitamin B suppliments...then your pee is radio active yellow, hydrated or not ! LOL

I did not know that ! Thanks for letting me know.

From Wikipedia, to confirm what you said:

Riboflavin is best known visually as the vitamin which imparts the orange color to solid B-vitamin preparations, the yellow color to vitamin supplement solutions, and the unusual fluorescent-yellow color to the urine of persons who supplement with high-dose B-complex preparations (no other vitamin imparts any color to urine).
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options

oh geesh. some count it to make sure they drink it. whether a cup of coffee counts or not? just drink 8 cups of regular water a day. it really aint all that much or hard to do unless you obsess about it.

why overthink everything? our bodies are mostly water so drinking good clean water makes sense? doesnt it?

Okay irishgirl63 same question to you.
    I don't like the taste of water unless I'm thirsty. So tell me why, when there is absolutely no medical reason, should I have to force 8 glasses of water down my throat?

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    I have always been curious about this as well. So basically everyone seems to be 50/50. Only one person has come back with actual articles regarding this. Guess I will go with their opinion or maybe I will just continue to be curious about this topic. LOL

It's not opinion.

Coffee is not water.

Flour is not bread.

Chicken is not beef.

...it's not rocket science.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Coffee is not water.

Water is water.

LOL, best response EVER!!

Straight to the point,

How do you make coffee? A lot of water and a little bit of coffee grinds.

So...it's not water. Thank you for proving my point.

So what changes that the body can't use it for hydration?
    Our bodies get water from foods that we eat, that also has sugars and other vitamins and minerals. Is another poster right that once you add a little lemon juice to the water, it is no longer water? What about those Crystal Light things? Can they be counted?
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options
    I don't like the taste of water unless I'm thirsty. So tell me why, when there is absolutely no medical reason should I have to force 8 glasses of water down my throat?
    It's OK if you do 7.45 or 8.03 glasses of water too... Is that what you're asking?

No.
    The whole 8 glasses of water is a myth and yet the quote is saying I should basically drink it.
    My question is why, when there is no valid reason to do so.
  • irishgirl63
    Options
    Try the MIO flavors to put in your water....you may like it...I do.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    lots of opinions, eh?

i simply count water as water. Just seems the way to go for me.

I pretty much only drink water, so no worries in getting my 8 cups in daily.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options

I don't like the taste of water unless I'm thirsty. So tell me why, when there is absolutely no medical reason, should I have to force 8 glasses of water down my throat?

You're missing the point.
    I'm asking why when there's no reason to drink 8 glasses I should still (and I'll quote it here again since you missed it) just drink 8 cups of regular water a day.
    I'm asking the poster of the quote. You're just proving my point.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    Coffee is not water.

Water is water.

Straight to the point,

Coffee has caffeine. Caffeine is a diuretic.
  • Roshams
    Roshams Posts: 77
    Options
    Scared the crap outta me when I started taking my vitamins, I thought I was radio active, and maybe had super powers now....turns out it was just the vitamin B....I was sadly disapointed ;)
  • QueenJayJay
    Options

I'm asking why when there's no reason to drink 8 glasses I should still (and I'll quote it here again since you missed it) just drink 8 cups of regular water a day.

I'm saying you don't have to. (Do the italics help you understand?)
  • Roshams
    Options
    Drinking 8 cups of water is just a generic guideline, to tell you that you need to make sure you drink enough water, in any form.

Drinking water with caffeine or any other ingredient is ok, as well as part of your food,
    You don't need to be concerned on what else you eat.

Just make sure you drink/eat enough water.

And how do you know that?
    Very simple:
    Look at the color of your urine; if it is yellow, drink more water. If it is cristal clear, you have gone beyond what you needed (but is ok !!)

Unless you're taking vitamin B suppliments...then your pee is radio active yellow, hydrated or not ! LOL

I did not know that ! Thanks for letting me know.

From Wikipedia, to confirm what you said:

Riboflavin is best known visually as the vitamin which imparts the orange color to solid B-vitamin preparations, the yellow color to vitamin supplement solutions, and the unusual fluorescent-yellow color to the urine of persons who supplement with high-dose B-complex preparations (no other vitamin imparts any color to urine).

Scared the crap outta me when I started taking my vitamins, I thought I was radio active, and maybe had super powers now....turns out it was just the vitamin B....I was sadly disapointed ;)
  • Roshams
    Options
    WOW, people really can get fired up over anything, can't they??

Everyone thinks they can GOOGLE better then the next guy. LMFAO
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    WOW, people really can get fired up over anything, can't they??

Everyone thinks they can GOOGLE better then the next guy. LMFAO

Bwahahaha!!! This is the best, most accurate answer in this entire thread...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Coffee is not water.

Water is water.

Straight to the point,

Already posted this but here it is again
    "Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day"
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

And again, plain old water is a diuretic as well.

I am off to the gym now.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Coffee is not water.

Water is water.

Straight to the point,

Water is a diuretic.
  • Spring18
    Options
    That's a myth.