Does coffee count for water?

Options

Replies

• hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    dietitian says that it should count as water, not just coffee but everything else with water including slurpee, coke, juice, soup, etc. Inside the body it all goes in separate ways, down to vitamins, minerals and liquids which is water.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Coffee is not water.

Water is water.

LOL, best response EVER!!

Straight to the point,

How do you make coffee? A lot of water and a little bit of coffee grinds.

How do you make a scoth and water? Guess that counts too...

Actually, you would get some hydration from scotch and water, but since alcohol is dehydrating you probably should not count the entire amount.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    I have always been curious about this as well. So basically everyone seems to be 50/50. Only one person has come back with actual articles regarding this. Guess I will go with their opinion or maybe I will just continue to be curious about this topic. LOL

It's not opinion.

Coffee is not water.

Flour is not bread.

Chicken is not beef.

...it's not rocket science.

These are not accurate analogies.

If you are counting how many servings of water you consume, you would count coffee, because coffee contains water.

If you were counting how many servings of flour you consumed, then you would count bread, because bread has flour in it.

If you were counting how many servings of meat you consume, you could count chicken, because it is meat.

It really isn't rocket science! :flowerforyou:

Oh dear, you're grossly overthinking my comment.

These things are similar, but not equal. Very basic concept. No complex analogy of what contains what.

So no, it really isn't rocket science.

Just curious: soda contains water. Do you count it as water?
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i drink as much coffee as i want but have scaled back because im drinking green tea now.. i dont count coffee as a drink..i try to count all my water as a drink instead .. i drink a gallone of water a day or as close to it as i can get .. plus the coffee ..i put green tea in my gallon of water every day with lemon
  • ilikeher
    Options
    No, coffee actually dehydrates you.

this is true, coffee dehydrates you...
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    So, if I drink 1 cup of coffee in the morning does that mean I can mark 1 cup of water down for the day? Just curious.

Plain and simple...NO coffee is a diuretic and dehydrates you. Water hydrates you. The are complete opposites.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I drink...therefore I pee! Any liquid is gonna make you pee eventually! But that's just me! :drinker:
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    So, if I drink 1 cup of coffee in the morning does that mean I can mark 1 cup of water down for the day? Just curious.

Drink vodka. If someone is going to consider coffee water go stuff your face with vodka or pee or any liquid and count it as water.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Well the good folks at the Mayo Clinic, Harvard School of Public Health and just about every other medical/nutrition site disagrees. No offense, but I think they are probably correct.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    If my arm is trapped under a heavy rock in the middle of the high sierra desert and Im unable to get free....Does urine count as water?

No idea, but it IS sterile...so drink up...Bear Gyrlls said so...and he knows these things. :wink:

wouldn't it be better if I just drank the accepted amount of water on top of the amount of urine I am ingesting? Its not like I need to worry about drinking to much water in a given day right? Or am I just trying to short change the system and wear only the bare minimum pieces of flare? Err drink the bare minimum cups of water
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Water is a solvent, things we add to water are solutes (like coffee). When you make coffee you are creating a solution of water with coffee particles suspended in it. It is still water, it doesn't become H2OC it is H2O with coffee suspended in it. That is the science behind it. Its still water and I count it!
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    If my arm is trapped under a heavy rock in the middle of the high sierra desert and Im unable to get free....Does urine count as water?

"Necessary? Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No, but I do it because it's sterile, and I like the taste."
  • ShandiH
    ShandiH Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Coffee is not water.

Water is water.
    This made me giggle.
    Are you having trouble drinking 8 cups a day?

Me? No.

Me neither . . .
  • lrbohn
    lrbohn Posts: 11
    Options
    I actually researched this because I was worried. I do drink a ton of water and I was worried that I was reaching levels of water intoxication. I've found, through multiple sites, that the body doesn't reach that level until you reach more than 1 liter per hour (obviously everyone is different), I was worried about drinking 4 liters in a day.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Nothing you add to water negates the fact that IT IS STILL WATER.

Let's say I really like Starbuck's Via instant coffee. For example, let's imagine I heat 6 ounces of pure, fresh, plain water to boiling and mix in the packet of coffee. I drink it and somehow the water magically becomes 'not water'?

What if I do the same thing, only this time, I pour the packet of Via right down my throat and eat it dry. Then, I drink six ounces of plain, fresh water. Suddenly this water counts as water, even though I have consumed all of the same items?

That makes no sense.

Water is still water, even when it is an ingredient in something else.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

2cc09adf-4dfa-4952-b46c-f28e9ac956e4.gif

PROOF that you didnt read anything in this thread...try reading at least the first couple of replies first....and can you provide proof that it dehydrates, and why those who only drink coffee arent dead already?
  • QueenJayJay
    Options

Let's say I really like Starbuck's Via instant coffee. For example. let's imagine I heat 6 ounces of pure, fresh, plain water to boiling and mix in the packet of coffee. I drink it and somehow the water magically becomes 'not water'?

What if I do the same thing, only this time, I pour the packet of Via right down my throat and eat it dry. Then, I drink six ounces of plain, fresh water. Suddenly this water counts as water, even though I have consumed all of the same items?

That makes no sense.

My cake today had water in the recipe. Can I log it as water?
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options

Let's say I really like Starbuck's Via instant coffee. For example. let's imagine I heat 6 ounces of pure, fresh, plain water to boiling and mix in the packet of coffee. I drink it and somehow the water magically becomes 'not water'?

That makes no sense.

My cake today had water in the recipe. Can I log it as water?

Did you drink your cake? The water evaporates out as you bake it...
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I have always been curious about this as well. So basically everyone seems to be 50/50. Only one person has come back with actual articles regarding this. Guess I will go with their opinion or maybe I will just continue to be curious about this topic. LOL

It's not opinion.

Coffee is not water.

Flour is not bread.

Chicken is not beef.

...it's not rocket science.

These are not accurate analogies.

If you are counting how many servings of water you consume, you would count coffee, because coffee contains water.

If you were counting how many servings of flour you consumed, then you would count bread, because bread has flour in it.

If you were counting how many servings of meat you consume, you could count chicken, because it is meat.

It really isn't rocket science! :flowerforyou:

Oh dear, you're grossly overthinking my comment.

These things are similar, but not equal. Very basic concept. No complex analogy of what contains what.

So no, it really isn't rocket science.

Just curious: soda contains water. Do you count it as water?

I don't drink soda, sweetie. If I did, yes, it would count as water. And I don't track my water. I think it's relatively useless for anyone to track it. If you are thirsty, drink something. Amazing, the things evolution has given us. :flowerforyou:
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    For years I didn't drink a single glass of water. I hated it. I drank somewhere between 5-10 diet cokes in a day. I'm still alive, proving that you don't HAVE to drink 8 glasses of water in a day. I now CHOOSE to drink 15-20 glasses of water in a day (because I do like it and I feel better when I am hydrated), proving that drinking more than 8 glasses of water WILL NOT kill you.

Water is water is water.

Liquid is liquid is liquid. Count it all. Anything you put in your mouth, count it as "water" if you wish, just make sure you log the calories if there are some.

The End.