Does coffee count for water?

Options

Replies

• kmtoug
    kmtoug Posts: 1
    Options
    I think any zero calorie liquid counts, but straight water is the best. Amazing how good your skin feels and looks when you drink 64 oz of water - plumps up your skin cells.
  • MsPnyLn
    Options

I can see through a giant glass of vodka perfectly! I just wanted to point that out. :-)

Love this! Also, I can see relatively well through white wine.. just sayin'
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Water is water.

Just because it went through a coffee maker with added caffeine, or you added some Crystal light, or lemon, a tea bag, or whatever to it - doesn't mean it's no longer water.

If you added calories - count those, but that wasn't the question.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I think the issue is that we need hydration. Hydration comes from many sources. Seems like some people are getting hung up on the term "water" - arguing that coffee is not water because, well, it's coffee. But that's a terminology argument, not a hydration argument. Quit mixing the two.

Someone has mentioned it already in this thread, but perhaps if the label was "Fluids" we wouldn't have this debate every few weeks. It is important to get enough fluids in your body to stay hydrated. Good luck on your weight loss Steve Perry.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    this thread is the stuff of legends.
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    So, if I drink 1 cup of coffee in the morning does that mean I can mark 1 cup of water down for the day? Just curious.

OP, Look what you started :laugh: :tongue: :bigsmile:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    3cd8a33a.png
  • DanielleHodgins
    DanielleHodgins Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Get guzzlin' girl your water!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's nearly 4 p.m. and I haven't had a single drop of plain water. Just soy milk and (caffeinated) black tea so far. And I haven't logged any water in 9 months. I like to live on the edge. :drinker:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    It's nearly 4 p.m. and I haven't had a single drop of plain water. Just soy milk and (caffeinated) black tea so far. And I haven't logged any water in 9 months. I like to live on the edge. :drinker:

you should avoid soy
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Drink an extra cup of pure water a day for every cup of coffee .
  • savage22hp
    Options
    Water is water.

Just because it went through a coffee maker with added caffeine, or you added some Crystal light, or lemon, a tea bag, or whatever to it - doesn't mean it's no longer water.

No , most foods are water based ( thus food dehydrators) . Water recommendations are for water in addition to what you may have with water in it . In regards to adding flavorings to water , all of them have side effects that were not intended with the recommendation of pure water , i.e caffeine being a diuretic .
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    This is silliness. I guess you failed to read any of that fact based information in the beginning of the thread.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

you should avoid soy

I've see the crazy reports on soy that litter the internet, but I have never seen them on a reputible medical site. Plus, I've been drinking soy daily and eating it several days a month for decades with no ill consequences so I don't see the point of changing now.
  • killagb
    Options
    Water is water.

No , most foods are water based ( thus food dehydrators) . Water recommendations are for water in addition to what you may have with water in it . In regards to adding flavorings to water , all of them have side effects that were not intended with the recommendation of pure water , i.e caffeine being a diuretic .
    You are grossly misinformed, sir. The diuretic quality of caffeine does NOT negate the hydrating effect of water content in, for example, coffee. Water itself is a diuretic. Water recommendations are in fact...for total water content of food and drink. See here, Mayo Clinic:
    Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.
  • savage22hp
    Options
    This is silliness. I guess you failed to read any of that fact based information in the beginning of the thread.

I read a quote by Abraham Lincoln on another post where he says not to believe things you read on the internet .
  • killagb
    Options

I read a quote by Abraham Lincoln on another post where he says not to believe things you read on the internet .
    This would include your posts, got it.
  • savage22hp
    Options
    If I drink 64 ounces of water a day , I lose more weight than if I only drink other fluids containing water and count the calories . Maybe someone should study me and publish the results so this information would be relevant .
  • k1mcat
    k1mcat Posts: 68
    Options
    Why does it matter? Just drink your water, and enjoy your coffee, too.

I'm so totally on board with this. :drinker:
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Water is water.

If you count it in your head as water, that's your decision but, to log anything other than water as water, just doesn't seem right.