cardio- thoughts?

Options
Ok so I have heard from multiple people that doing any cardio over 30 mins is basically a waste. They say that your body stops resisting after 30 mins. Anyone have any thoughts supporting this or against this? I would appreciat as much feedback as I can get. I mean... who wants to do more cardio than is necessary?! :bigsmile:

Replies

• ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I've never heard of this.
  • lynzy713
    lynzy713 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump - i'm curious to see what is said...
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Ok so I have heard from multiple people that doing any cardio over 30 mins is basically a waste. They say that your body stops resisting after 30 mins. Anyone have any thoughts supporting this or against this? I would appreciat as much feedback as I can get. I mean... who wants to do more cardio than is necessary?! :bigsmile:

if your body stops resisting at 30 minutes...who or what is doing the work at minute 31?
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Resisting what?
  • Donna_Houghton
    Donna_Houghton Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't think this is true, otherwise fitness instructors would make group excercise classes of 30 mins rather than an hour.

:)
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I wish my body would stop resisting on half marathons......
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It is possible to do too much cardio - but I don't think 31 mins is too much, I'd say 2-3 hours every day is too much.
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Where did you hear this? Just curious... :)
  • nurse_christieyne
    Options
    I have heard that from 2 different trainers. They each said that any more than 30 minutes is a waste of time.
  • nurse_christieyne
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't think this is true, otherwise fitness instructors would make group excercise classes of 30 mins rather than an hour.

:)

I pointed that out to a trainer, he said you have 10 minutes of warm up, 10 minutes of cool down, the other 40 minutes is never at one steady pace so your heart rate goes up and down,
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I have heard this as well.
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    Where did you hear this? Just curious... :)

I was talking with a girl at the gym last night. I did 45 min of cardio. She said I should just stop at 30 mins yada yada. She said that she "knows" alot of fit people and they all tell her this. I have also heard it before, not sure where. I just wondered if there was any truth to it. Im sure it all depends on what your goals are and such. I couldnt find anything to really support this via the internet.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. I know from my personal experience that the more cardio I get, the more fat I burn. I do not even break a sweat until I am about 20 minutes in. When I went for a stress test last year, it took 12 minutes to get my heart rate up to where they could do the test.

My trainer runs marathons, I think he would have a good laugh out of this one.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I have heard that from 2 different trainers. They each said that any more than 30 minutes is a waste of time.

so if I burn 150 calories during minutes 31-45 they dount count? there is no exact number of minutes where exercise becomes overkill. You can do too much or too little. If you do 30 minutes a day thats good.
  • lauraemthomson
    lauraemthomson Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i dont think so honey. its not ideal to work the same muscles as the day before. eg. running two days in a row or cycling two days in a row. Try mix up ur excercise (run one day, cycle the next, tbt the next etc) is more benifical, and allows previous mucles to recover as such.

keep going!
    :happy:
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    depends on your goals and needs and what you want to do..im training for a 8k run so thats five miles..wouldnt make sense for me to stop at 30 minutes knowing darn well i cant run a 8k in 30 minutes..im praying for me to do it in 50 minutes and thats pushing it but if i only do 30minutes of cardio i will struggle after 30 minutes on my run

plus it does not hurt to do extra cardio if you are looking to burn up some extra calories. last night i hopped on my treadmill during Gossip Girl and did a half hour of 4miles an hour.. it was better than sitting still and eating chips or something
  • royalstewart13
    Options
    Bad Advice. In fact nonsense! Just think about it -- it is better only to do 30 minutes of exercise rather than 60, just doesn't make sense.
  • ZachS92
    Options
    Don't think it apply's to cardio. Strength training is a waste after an hour... But I don't think that apply's to cardio and if it does it would be longer then 30 mins..
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    Other things I have heard is at that point it starts to burn muscle and not fat. But I dont think that is necessarily true is it? That would be more based on what your diet is, correct? I think there are alot of myths out there, sometimes its hard to determine which ones are accurate! Thanks for the help guys! I'll keep up my cardio!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Its all about context here. If you want to be a long-distance runner and see continued improvement, you must run more than 30 minutes at a time and you must do it frequently. However if you want to burn fat and improve physical fitness, then 30+ minutes of cardio is not the best use of your time. You are better off doing resistance training and high intensity intervals. But if cardio keeps your more motivated, better that than nothing!

Oh and I am in marathon training and have actually gotten stronger because I always lift weights before I run, and I have upped my protein intake to prevent muscle loss. I've definitely burned fat without losing muscle in recent weeks.