cardio- thoughts?

Options

Replies

• spyder_rose
    spyder_rose Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Ok so I have heard from multiple people that doing any cardio over 30 mins is basically a waste. They say that your body stops resisting after 30 mins. Anyone have any thoughts supporting this or against this? I would appreciat as much feedback as I can get. I mean... who wants to do more cardio than is necessary?! :bigsmile:

if your body stops resisting at 30 minutes...who or what is doing the work at minute 31?

Love it!!!

I have been told that you need to do AT LEAST 30 minutes cardio a day for your heart to benefit from it...

depends on your intensity

This is true... I should have said that when my doctor told me this, it was because I could only walk at that point. I was not allowed to do anything "strenuous"...
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Define waste.

What is your goal?

If you're training for a 1/2 Marathon, marathon, Ironman... How would you expect to get there if you only ran 30 minutes a day?
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Define waste.

What is your goal?

If you're training for a 1/2 Marathon, marathon, Ironman... How would you expect to get there if you only ran 30 minutes a day?

I suppose its under the premise that nobody should ever run long distance because it causes more harm than good. That is certainly the attitude of some health professionals.
  • isys5
    isys5 Posts: 213
    Options
    I have not hear of the resting after 30 min part but if you want the most bang for your buck (or should I say time & effort?) try HIIT (high intensity interval training) I found a few sites online offering quick workouts which were ok (do a google search there are tons out there and good info on the science behind HIIT training) but then I tried TurboFire, OMG love it and see results so fast. Chalene (the instructor on the dvds is really motivating and the moves are really fun once you get the hang of it) plus I like I can just pop in the dvd and be done in anywhere from 15-55 min depending on the day. If I have to workout for more than an hour forget it!

I have lost almost 5lbs this month, I started in Jan but had an injury (not exercise related) so could not work out much for a few days. Plus I have so much more energy from these workouts it is insane, I feel 10 years younger in only 1 month. Why did I not start sooner? ;)
  • melrose09
    melrose09 Posts: 271
    Options
    Ok so regarding cardio. You want first identify what you are trying to do:

Fitness Target Zones: Heart Rates

Exercise Level Benefits Intensity Level (Max HR %)
    Light Exercise Healthy Heart Maintenance 50% - 60%
    Weight Loss Burn Fat & Calories 60% - 70%
    Base - Aerobic Increase stamina & endurance 70% - 80%
    Conditioning Fitness , muscle building, and athletic training 80% - 90%
    Athletic - elite Athletic training and endurance 90% - 100%

Time < HRM
    As time increases so does caloric expenditure but based on the intensity from the above HR%'s.
    Someone can run for 45m and burn the same amount of calories versus someone who ran for 20m. It comes down to intensity.

Yeah, that ^ If you are just trying to burn calories, you could walk for an hour and burn 200 calories (example) or run for 20 minutes and burn 200 calories. I think you need to sit down with one of the trainers and figure out the best way to achieve whatever your goal is. If it's a super lean look you are going for, lots of plain old running would help get you there. If it's a fit and toned look, maybe circuit training is more what you should be looking in to, plus it's more fun than running IMO. But, I'm not a cpt YET, so you have absolutely no reason to listen to me! ;)
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    Define waste.

What is your goal?

I basically and just trying to loose fat. I am 5'7" and weigh 144 lb. I started weight training at 139lb and now i am at 144lb. So I have gained muscle. I just want to get rid of the fat surrounding the muscle so you can actually see it =) I am at 18% bodyfat. I have been doing cardio, 30 mins usually 4-6 days a week after my lifting. I have changed my diet drastically. I have for the most part stopped drinking alcohol completely. I just dont see any progress of losing the fat. I decided to try uping my cardio. I mentioned this to a girl at the gym. Thats when she basically told me that it was worthless and time wasting. I HAVE heard that before but in what cotext I can not remember. I had my suspicians that this was incorrect so I wanted to find out. I have no problem uping my cardio if that will help me get the results that I want. I just started doing Jillian Micheals 30 day shred in the am, because it seems more of a cardio routine to me with little strenght training. I have went through Jamie Eason live fit trainer twice and am currently maintaining on it. I got very good results. I just need a little fat loss results.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Define waste.

What is your goal?

I basically and just trying to loose fat. I am 5'7" and weigh 144 lb. I started weight training at 139lb and now i am at 144lb. So I have gained muscle. I just want to get rid of the fat surrounding the muscle so you can actually see it =) I am at 18% bodyfat. I have been doing cardio, 30 mins usually 4-6 days a week after my lifting. I have changed my diet drastically. I have for the most part stopped drinking alcohol completely. I just dont see any progress of losing the fat. I decided to try uping my cardio. I mentioned this to a girl at the gym. Thats when she basically told me that it was worthless and time wasting. I HAVE heard that before but in what cotext I can not remember. I had my suspicians that this was incorrect so I wanted to find out. I have no problem uping my cardio if that will help me get the results that I want. I just started doing Jillian Micheals 30 day shred in the am, because it seems more of a cardio routine to me with little strenght training. I have went through Jamie Eason live fit trainer twice and am currently maintaining on it. I got very good results. I just need a little fat loss results.

wow,,,,good job.

sounds like you are ready for P90X
  • CourteneyLove
    CourteneyLove Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i used to be an extreme cardio bunny. i'm talking treadmill for an hour.. + elliptical + bike for 30-45 mins each. i wasn't eating right but i was pretty thin. i felt like crap all the time.

now i'm still a cardio bunny - just a different type. i do interval training.. which most machines at the gym ( sorry i didnt check to see if you use a gym) have. it's basically working out for a high intensity to get your HR up, then a break to bring it back down. i have seen more results in the past week of doing different interval training sessions than spending hours upon hours running/elliptical in the summer
  • grinch031
    Options
    Define waste.

What is your goal?

It sounds like you are doing everything right for the most part and are sitting a good healthy weight. Your really need to optimize your diet. The last few pounds are the hardest to lose.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Define waste.

What is your goal?

There is a good chance this is physiological. If you are at 18% body fat and you still are seeing fat, this is a problem with your body image. I suggest you see a professional.

These people may have been telling you this out of kindness, trying to get you to stop doing so much cardio. There is a point where being too healthy becomes unhealthy, and I can say this because I have been there myself. It is a tough road to navigate, but I know that when I get obsessed with this teeny bit of back fat or saddle bags and over do it thinking I can get it off, I end up looking horrible.

Good luck!
  • grinch031
    Options
    Define waste.

What is your goal?

There is a good chance this is physiological. If you are at 18% body fat and you still are seeing fat, this is a problem with your body image. I suggest you see a professional.

These people may have been telling you this out of kindness, trying to get you to stop doing so much cardio. There is a point where being too healthy becomes unhealthy, and I can say this because I have been there myself. It is a tough road to navigate, but I know that when I get obsessed with this teeny bit of back fat or saddle bags and over do it thinking I can get it off, I end up looking horrible.

Good luck!

I think this is a bit premature to say. There is nothing wrong with setting high standards for yourself. I don't see any red flags in what the poster says that would indicate she crossed any psychological barrier into disorder territory.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Agree. 18% is fine but there isn't necessarily anything wrong with wanting to be more fit.

OP, I suggest you check out some of Steve Troutman's posts. He knows what he's talking about and has been super helpful for me already. Especially his post about lean people wanting to get leaner.

Good luck!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their opinions on what or what does not work for them. Lots of false truths out there. I usually try to run for more than 30 minutes or I dont feel like I sweat enough. I run straight on easier days. OTher days I do interval training. I'll run at a pace of 7mph for 1.25 mile then 3.5mph (brisk walk) for 1/2 mile then 9.0mph (sprint) for .25 miles. Jog at around 6.0mph for another mile and keep going. Interval training is the way to go.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Define waste.

What is your goal?

Good luck!

I think this is a bit premature to say. There is nothing wrong with setting high standards for yourself. I don't see any red flags in what the poster says that would indicate she crossed any psychological barrier into disorder territory.

I shared my EXPERIENCE. And it does not take a rocket scientist to see the red flag of someone having 18% body fat and still seeing fat. So please, by all means,, instead of insulting me, please share what you base your experience on. Please understand that BMI for men and women are vastly different.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Without getting all scientific and what not, I usually do cardio minimum 30 mins... sometimes 60....sometimes longer - usually intervals.And it's all good for me. It feels good. Ice skating for example is fun and I stay on the ice no less than an hour. My outdoor runs/walks always go over 60 mins because I enjoy it. I'm not going to stop at 30 mins because some random trainer says it's bad... it all depends what your goals and time constraints are and if you are actually enjoying it - all the better! 60 mins of cardio + strength training - is worse than 30 mins + strength training because why???? I really want to know....
  • grinch031
    Options
    Define waste.

What is your goal?

Good luck!

I shared my EXPERIENCE. And it does not take a rocket scientist to see the red flag of someone having 18% body fat and still seeing fat. So please, by all means,, instead of insulting me, please share what you base your experience on. Please understand that BMI for men and women are vastly different.

I didn't realize I was insulting to you. To the contrary, I felt you were insulting the OP by jumping to the conclusion that she has psychological problems.

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/

here a female with an 'athletic' build would have 14-20% body fat. So you're saying athletes have psychological problems?
  • Dbobber1950
    Options
    You would be better off to do a 20-30 minute interval workout at high intensity. Run sprints, do a Kettlebell workout, anything that gets your heart rate to a % of your max for a short period of time.....maybe three to six times a week. If you want to spend an hour doing something, just take a walk.
  • angied80
    Options
    Define waste.

What is your goal?

Good luck!

Oh believe me ! Its how I percieve myself at all. I have fat. Im not one of those skinny girls who is fretting because I can see a pooch. i HAVE a pooch. I also have alot of fat around my thighs. My upper body has always been smaller. Its my lower body and mid section. I am by no means "fat" or see myself that way. I see room for improvement that can be made and is not impossible. Its just trying to figure out what I am doing wrong and what I can do better. As long as I feel great, have plenty of energy etc. I do not think I am over doing anything. Believe me. My friends and my boyfriend are all very honest with me and if there was any hint that I am over doing it or need to see someone, I would have been told already. But thanks for the advice, Ill keep that in mind.
  • angied80
    Options
    Define waste.

What is your goal?

Good luck!

Thank you! I appreciate that. I was a little blown away, maybe a little offended by that post. Im glad I am not the only one who doesnt think I need to get my head checked.
  • grinch031
    Options
    Define waste.

What is your goal?

Good luck!

Thank you! I appreciate that. I was a little blown away, maybe a little offended by that post. Im glad I am not the only one who doesnt think I need to get my head checked.

If you have psychological problems, then so does every male who has six pack abs..because those males fit in the same category as you, 'athletic' with often less than 10% body fat. This is not to say that you don't need to see a shrink, but I just thought it was a premature judgement.