Bacon replacement

Options
I do my family a mixed grill every week, with bacon, sausage, egg and beans, it's just that bacon is really high in fat, as are the sausages, any ideas for a healthier option that I can eat with the family?
:noway:

Replies

• TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon, turkey sausage, egg whites...
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon and sausages. I love them !
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    yves veggie bacon. fry it with butter in a pan until crisp on the edges and it smells and tastes just like the real thing :)http://yvesveggie.ca/index.php/products/product/veggie_bacon_strips/
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Quorn sausages, and crispy parma ham (that's expensive though....)
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    There is no replacement for bacon, no matter how much processing is done to try to make the imposters taste the same. BUT...as far as sausage patties go, the Morningstar Farms Veggie sausage patties are really good!
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    There is no replacement for bacon, no matter how much processing is done to try to make the imposters taste the same. BUT...as far as sausage patties go, the Morningstar Farms Veggie sausage patties are really good!

I call BS. A good quality turkey bacon is darn near identical to normal bacon. Even when I wasn't dieting a lot of times I'd buy turkey bacon instead. It's delicious.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Do I have any suggestions? Yes...and no. The thing with "replacements" is that they are never as good as the real thing. Low-fat cheese...turkey bacon...blech. I just end up missing what I'm not eating.

BUT, what has helped me is to re-imagine the meal itself. Instead of replacing one favorite ingredient for a less favorite ingredient, why not try a different kind of meal? Everything tastes yummy on a grill. Even vegetables! Why not try kabobs, made with marinated chicken? Try "meaty" vegetables like eggplant and mushrooms. Oven roasted tomatoes or peppers (OMG!). And potatoes. And heck, if you're not on a "eliminate all saturated fat" diet, use the bacon for what it was originally made for...seasoning. I've never had a vegetable that wasn't improved by bacon and bacon fat...one or two slices will flavor an entire meal for many.

**and for the folks lovin' on turkey bacon...look at the stats. A good center cut bacon isn't much worse for you than turkey bacon. And they add "crap" to turkey bacon to make it taste all smoky.
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    Thanks fo rthe speedy suggestions, will give them a go.
  • onedayillbamilf
    Options

I call BS. A good quality turkey bacon is darn near identical to normal bacon. Even when I wasn't dieting a lot of times I'd buy turkey bacon instead. It's delicious.

I respectfully disagree. I've tried several different brands. They smell like bacon, but the taste was not pleasant to me. Lots of people like it, but not me! Blech!
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options

....If you don't want to eat pork bacon, by all means eat turkey bacon if you'd like. And feel free to even call it delicious...taste is subjective. But to claim that they taste identical? That a lean bird tastes like a fatty mammal? Methinks you're eatin' too fast...
  • onedayillbamilf
    Options
    Do I have any suggestions? Yes...and no. The thing with "replacements" is that they are never as good as the real thing. Low-fat cheese...turkey bacon...blech. I just end up missing what I'm not eating.

BUT, what has helped me is to re-imagine the meal itself. Instead of replacing one favorite ingredient for a less favorite ingredient, why not try a different kind of meal? Everything tastes yummy on a grill. Even vegetables! Why not try kabobs, made with marinated chicken? Try "meaty" vegetables like eggplant and mushrooms. Oven roasted tomatoes or peppers (OMG!). And potatoes. And heck, if you're not on a "eliminate all saturated fat" diet, use the bacon for what it was originally made for...seasoning. I've never had a vegetable that wasn't improved by bacon and bacon fat...one or two slices will flavor an entire meal for many.

**and for the folks lovin' on turkey bacon...look at the stats. A good center cut bacon isn't much worse for you than turkey bacon. And they add "crap" to turkey bacon to make it taste all smoky.

:flowerforyou:
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    I do my family a mixed grill every week, with bacon, sausage, egg and beans, it's just that bacon is really high in fat, as are the sausages, any ideas for a healthier option that I can eat with the family?
    :noway:

I actually think bacon and sausage are fairly healthy. I consume an entire package of bacon almost every night, sometimes dipping it in real butter, too. My food diary bears this out.

Many people are fat-phobic with the idea that fat in the food automatically becomes stored fat in the body, which, upon closer inspection, is like arguing that tomatoes cause one's skin to become colored red (Dr. Richard Bernstein's analogy, not mine, from his book "Diabetes Solution").
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    I would get rid of the beans and keep the rest. LOL

Sounds delish. What time should I be over?
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Trying to replace Bacon is like trying to replace a soul. It's just wrong.
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I saw Chicken Bacon at the store the other day for the first time. It is not the same as pork, but it will do.
  • magikfairygirl
    Options
    What I have been using when I cook my family bacon or sausage is sunrise low fat Montreal style smoked meat. You get 50g(1.76oz) for 50 calories. I find this much better then turkey bacon or vegetable sausages.
  • anjfgf
    anjfgf Posts: 2
    Options
    TURKEY BACON APPARENTLY. DIDNT LIKE IT WHEN I TRIED IT IN THE STATES THOUGH. MAKE SURE YOU CUT OFF AS MUCH FAT 'BEFORE' COOKING. TOO TEMPTING WHEN ITS CRISPY COOKED
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Were you high when you did this comparison?
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    my advice is to go on a high bacon diet.

that way you can eat the bacon, and stay on your diet.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Just eat the bacon!! Two slices have like 4.5g of fat if you buy the center-cut style. Turkey bacon is highly processed and high in sodium and always comes out floppy or like a wood chip. BLEH